Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
VeryTangled

Default Re: petehoovie???

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Actually, I always looked at the never-ending picture enlargements as an insult to the intelligence of the rest of us, like none of US were capable of, nor smart enough to know that clicking on a picture would enlarge it. About that foresight & knowledge...….well, anyway! DD
That's one way of looking at it, and I get it.

But when I'm looking at the site using my smartphone, it's a heck of a lot easier to see/enlarge the pictures when someone has posted it with the URL rather than just attaching it.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #22
Royal Ryser

I am always insulted when somebody just hauls off and does me a favor, without me even asking!
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #23
tubman

It seems to me that a lot of you guys don't understand what's going on here. These forums are for automotive enthusiasts to be able to get together and discuss problems, ideas, and general information about the Marques involved. To allow any deviation from this destroys the intent of the forum, and if allowed to continue, would allow the forum to descend in to utter chaos. Ryan, the owner of a couple of these forums, realized this early on, and has developed what seems to me to be a "no tolerance" policy about completely "off-topic" postings. This is especially true when politics is involved. This particular subject, in this day and age, can quickly get out of control, and completely move the forum from it's intended purpose. When the subject of politics comes up, a couple of things happen. The corrupted thread is deleted, and the offending poster is "BANNED", at least temporarily. Since the offending thread has been deleted, any evidence of the inappropriate actions are no longer available to the general members and this kind of confusion reigns.

I have been on these forums for a long time, and was initially like a lot of you guys and did not understand what was going on. After a lot of years and many posts, I have come to believe that the boards policy is 100% correct and effective.

I expect that this thread may be closed or deleted, but it seems to me that a bunch of you out there need a bit of education.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
But when I'm looking at the site using my smartphone, it's a heck of a lot easier to see/enlarge the pictures when someone has posted it with the URL rather than just attaching it.

Hey Jeff....It's kind of ironic that you mention the use of smart phones. And please realize that I think of you, like most 'Barners do, as one of our longest-vested, well-respected, knowledgeable, friendly, kind-hearted and well-meaning members in this thriving community of old Ford-loving, yet opinionated individuals. But every time I see a human being seemingly walking around in a trance with one of those smart phones glued to their hand (including my son), the picture below is exactly what I envision.

I guess that my ability to see all these wonderful pictures we frequently share so perfectly well on my gi-hugic, archaic desktop unit has blinded me to the wide-spread use of modern, mobile technology. I guess that I should consider myself fortunate that I'm not in a position of having to depend on such a tiny, expensive device to get my fill of the old Ford world's premier meeting place. I'm sorry that I didn't realize that the little pics are so difficult for you to enjoy. I guess it could be said that that is one reason why I strive to post enlarged pictures in the first place. Respectfully, good day, Sir! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #25
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post

I have been on these forums for a long time, and was initially like a lot of you guys and did not understand what was going on. After a lot of years and many posts, I have come to believe that the boards policy is 100% correct and effective.

I expect that this thread may be closed or deleted, but it seems to me that a bunch of you out there need a bit of education.

Huh? Oh!Oh!

Old 03-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #26
35fordtn

Quote:
Hey Jeff....It's kind of ironic that you mention the use of smart phones. And please realize that I think of you, like most 'Barners do, as one of our longest-vested, well-respected, knowledgeable, friendly, kind-hearted and well-meaning members in this thriving community of old Ford-loving, yet opinionated individuals. But every time I see a human being seemingly walking around in a trance with one of those smart phones glued to their hand (including my son), the picture below is exactly what I envision.

I guess that my ability to see all these wonderful pictures we frequently share so perfectly well on my gi-hugic, archaic desktop unit has blinded me to the wide-spread use of modern, mobile technology. I guess that I should consider myself fortunate that I'm not in a position of having to depend on such a tiny, expensive device to get my fill of the old Ford world's premier meeting place. I'm sorry that I didn't realize that the little pics are so difficult for you to enjoy. I guess it could be said that that is one reason why I strive to post enlarged pictures in the first place. Respectfully, good day, Sir! DD

Way off topic but staring at a screen in your hand or on your desk is one in the same nearly. I am young and in the generation that relies on these forms of electronic social contact. I limit myself to goofing off on the internet which is usually Fordbarn, to 30-45 minutes a day, and I do not watch television unless it is a movie/show with my daughter and/or wife which is saturday nights. the world would be a much more productive place if people didnt spend 5 hours a day staring at a screen unless it is Job related of course.

cartoon-vector-illustration-of-forgotten-human-skeleton-of-dead-businessman-JT41TF.jpg
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #27
RobR'35

Quite enlightening and revealing too Mr.Tubman
You're quite the spokesman.
I thank u for what u know.
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #28
VeryTangled

Quote:
Hey Jeff....It's kind of ironic that you mention the use of smart phones. And please realize that I think of you, like most 'Barners do, as one of our longest-vested, well-respected, knowledgeable, friendly, kind-hearted and well-meaning members in this thriving community of old Ford-loving, yet opinionated individuals.DD
Holy cripes... I never thought someone would say such nice things about me. I'm sending this to my boss right now, ASAP! DD you're so kind! My FordBarn jones extends to the point that when I'm not at a PC I'm monitoring on my 7 year old Samsung Galaxy 4.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:38 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Petehoovie has been a really knowledgeable contributor to this site. Talking politics among friends can really hurt relationships, so I get it. I hope he comes back, and it's not just because of his avatar......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #30
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Petehoovie has been a really knowledgeable contributor to this site. Talking politics among friends can really hurt relationships, so I get it. I hope he comes back, and it's not just because of his avatar......
GB, agreed. I hope ol ' Pete is not incarcerated for ever and they let him out of jail..... even if he can to do the rest of his sentence on a bracelet.

Graeme

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #31
paul2748

I'm surprised that Ryan hasn't complained about the band width usage that is being used by enlarging other's photos, especially when all you have to do is click on the original picture and it gets bigger. Ditto when the enlarged pic is also in the test section and never erased after it has been tested.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #32
cas3

yup, sure do miss those "bud' girls
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:33 PM   #33
RalphM

Religion and politics, two things that should never be discussed among friends. If you want to stay friends!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:51 PM   #34
GB SISSON

One of my best friends of 30 years asked me over to his place yesterday to help him bleed his brakes, (and have a cold beer after work).... He was yakking about this guy and that guy in politics and I just kept a straight face and talked about the weather and keeping his master cylinder replenished. We get along on so many levels and he is a really nice guy. But.... I don't think he could handle it if he knew I dabbled on the 'other side'. I just don't care about politics. If I get kicked off it won't be about politics. Now back the the old Fords.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #35
Tinker

I have no idea whats happening, but around here up north they give a 15-30 day ban from the local muni if a guy gets a bit squirrely. Some guys have been banned many times. Never ever banned forever. Petehoovie is a good guy, I think.

I agree Ralph, I'm not perfect like everyone else. My 103 grandmother pasted 3 yrs ago. Road in an inverted model a airplane and remembered the lindbergh kidnaping. She always said "you can have friends, or talk religion or politics". A grandmother to a few different ethnic grandchildren and my nephews and nieces.

Be safe guys and kind to each other.

Last edited by Tinker; 03-21-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:30 AM   #36
ford38v8

Coming in late again, I always read everything previously posted, and I have to snicker at some of the short temper comments, only to chill out again later! Yep, these are tense times we're in now, but it's good to be able to let off a little steam this way on the Barn!

To get way off the subject now, our granddaughter in another city has a friend here who she sent around with a hot meal for Juanita and me. She had previously asked if we needed anything, and I said our larder had everything but family and chocolate eclairs. The dinner she sent us included chocolate eclairs!!

Let's hope we all stay safe and the only fever we catch is CABIN fever!
Old 03-21-2020, 04:04 AM   #37
flatford8

“Let's hope we all stay safe and the only fever we catch is CABIN fever!”

Well said!!!!.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 AM   #38
dwick01

I agree with most folks on here, leave the politics at home. Doesn't mean that I don't want Petehoovie back on here for a second chance.
dwick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #39
37 Cab

Me.. I only talk poli tics in the spring and summer.. I hate it when my dog gets them. Nasty little blood suckers.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:09 PM   #40
tomcarman

Quote:
Actually, I always looked at the never-ending picture enlargements as an insult to the intelligence of the rest of us, like none of US were capable of, nor smart enough to know that clicking on a picture would enlarge it. About that foresight & knowledge...….well, anyway! DD
The enlargements are very helpful for me. Apparently I'm not "intelligent" nor "smart" enough. On my machine when I click on the attachment it enlarges, but not much. Insult accepted with regards. I find petehoovie's posts must be informative and helpful to many.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote