Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
Jason in TX

Default Remembering George Tynan

Sad to report that Dallas Model A Ford Club member and great friend George Tynan passed away last night July 16, 2020 at the age of 91. George was the 2003 MAFCA president, served on the board for 4 years and was selected by board of trustees of MAFFI to be the president from 2006-2008. In that time, George was instrumental in establishing the Model A Ford Museum at the Gilmore. George was very active in the Dallas Model A Ford club up until a few weeks ago, working Monday - Friday at a good friend's Model A shop educating newcomers to the hobby and helping others fix and recondition their Model As. He organized parades, meetings, canvased HUGE swap meets on foot handing out club flyers and lead fund raising efforts like the Leake Kruse Auction. George was the one who always took the long way home in either his 1930 Cabriolet or Blind Back 4 door. In 2017 he was the only driver to drive his Model A the entire way from Texas to Yellowsone National Park, up into Canada and back home, by himself!

George was a college football star, career military, aircraft commander of the 100th bomb wing, rose to Colonel in the Airforce of the 68th Electronic Warfare Squadron at Strategic Air Command from 1974 - 1975. (he had many positions beyond this that others may know more than I do)

He told me stories of founding Care Flight in Kansas city while his boss was on vacation and developing low flying bombing maneuvers in the service while trying not to crash. He was a go getter who never stopped.

We will miss you George. George (right) pictured below receiving award at our Christmas Banquet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_Christmas_Party_George Tynan.jpg (182.5 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg George Tynan.jpg (11.4 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by Jason in TX; 07-17-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Remembering George Tynan

George was a nice guy, and did a lot for the hobby!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
George was a nice guy, and did a lot for the hobby!

I agree 110% with Jim. He really was a great guy and a super leader. Geez I cannot wait for 2020 to be over with and let most of each day's news be joyful again. Condolences to the Tynan family.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Jordan

George was a great friend to everyone and really did wonders for our hobby. He did all of it selflessly. He was always very nice. I will miss seeing him, Rosalie, and the dogs on the tours.

I was always so impressed with how many miles he drove his car. I am an active driver, but he really drove the wheels off of his cars. I remember several years ago he told me he had 90,000+ on the cabriolet and like 75,000 on the sedan. Or something around those numbers. And I know he traveled many miles after he told me that.

Thank you, George, for all you did for our hobby!
Old 07-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Flathead29

George was always special to the Icenhower family. Our son has a ‘53 Chevy pickup that has was so proud of and had it at a swap meet one time with the hood up “showing off” the engine all dressed up. We saw George off the space later and he asked why Heath didn’t have air cleaners on the carbs. Heath turned white thinking someone had made off with them. George was just pulling his leg. This became the running joke between them. Later when he graduated from HS we had sent George an announcement. We looked up to see George had come to the ceremony sitting down the row from us and brought Heath a signed book as a present. He never failed to ask how our kids and grandkids were doing. He was a super special guy. We will dearly miss him, Rosalie and the puppies on tours.
Flathead29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
rickblack

I've noted George's passing on the MAFCA website. http://www.mafca.com
Regards,
--------------------
Rick Black
Las Cruces NM
[email protected]
--------------------

Last edited by rickblack; 07-17-2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Forgot to sign it
rickblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
McMimmcs

Our hobby has lost another icon. May his soul rest in peace. My condolences to his family and friends.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Doug Linden

I have known George for many years and always enjoyed our get togethers at National events. He will be missed.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
henry's 31

Another icon of the Model A Hobby has left us and joined Henry in heaven. Our deepest sympathy to the family and friends. We will all miss you.
Old 06-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #10
NMModelA

Hey everyone,

I was doing some Model A Googling and found this page, first and foremost I want to say thank you to everyone in this community for being so kind. George was my grandfather whom I was very close to. I am still dealing with some of the emotions of his passing, as kind as he was to everyone in the Model A community he was an endless source of inspiration and love for myself and my 2 siblings.

Some good news from his passing, he inspired me to be a major gearhead from a young age. The first car I restored with George and my Father was a 1966 Ford Mustang. I recently restored my own 1970 Challenger right after his passing.

We were fortunate enough to sell his 1931 Four Door Sedan to a Model A enthusiast through the monthly magazine as no one in my family wanted it but I did inherit his 1930 Blue Cab which I have neatly in my garage next to my challenger. Actually just did my first oil change on it! He always said if I ever chopped it or Hot Rodded it he would haunt me for life.

I did join the Dallas Model A Ford club in honor of him and will remain a life member although I live in Santa Fe, NM. I doubt I will ever put as many miles on the Model A as he did but we do enjoy taking it out for short rides around town.

Lastly I have to let everyone know, he always claimed to be a Football star but its well known in my family he was truly horrible at Football LOL but he was excellent at Baseball and even had a formal tryout with the Brooklyn Dodgers. However he was drafted into the Marines in 1946 and shipped to Japan to be part of the cleanup and could never sign a contract.

Lastly we sprinkled some of his ashes (in secret) around the Model A Gilmore museum in MI so if you ever visit he's there looking up at you.

James Tynan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage1.jpg (66.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg garage2.jpg (68.7 KB, 60 views)
NMModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #11
Jim Brierley

Nice post James! Thanks!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
Doug Linden

Thanks, this great news and I know George would be very proud you are following in his footsteps. I knew George for many years and always enjoyed our get togethers at national events.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote