Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #41
CarlG

Default Re: Mt. Washington Auto Road-Borg Warner OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Under what conditions does the Borg Warner Over Drive free wheel?

Some say that it does "free wheel".

I have heard that it will not Free Wheel over 28 MPH ... but 28 might be too fast if your brake drums are thin and over heated!

Seems that the B.W. might be dangerous in free wheel mode when rolling down hill!
You would always want to make sure the OD cable is pulled out in this situation to keep it from "free-wheeling"
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #42
Benson

Default Re: Mt. Washington Auto Road-Borg Warner OD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
You would always want to make sure the OD cable is pulled out in this situation to keep it from "free-wheeling"

Thanks Carl,
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:29 AM   #43
StoolBus

Default Re: Mt. Washington Auto Road

If you go, let me know. I'll come along and arrange for a "chase vehicle" with tools, spares, and coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #44
barnstuf

It is a stormy day and I was going through old postings here on the forum.

The Mt. Washington Auto Road title caught my eye and I read it once again. I found I posted as number 20 poster as having driven up Mt. Washington in my 1930 Coupe in 1947 and again in 1949. It is a great sequence of postings and deserves to come up again. Read and enjoy!

By the way I am still driving that 1930 Coupe which I acquired on February 22, 1941. 77 years of ownership behind me, now starting the 78 th year of ownership and it was not my first Model A, but my third.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #45
Bruce Adams

The 200- 300 Model A Ford New England Meet, Sept 2017 together with some International Model A Ford Day Model A's scaled Mount Washington as that was where we all picnicked. A number of cars went to the top, and most said while going up was a bit concerning, going down was scarey, even with Hi Comp engines and good brakes. There were no incidents that were reported, however.
I went about 20% up by mistake, turned around when I saw it was the "Climb" and drove down in second with normal braking on my cast iron drums, using my Hi Comp engine to hold back a bit but not dramatically.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #46
divcoone

I started this thread. And I’m happy to say I made it to the top.The weather was so bad we could’t get out of the car. Coming down was OK except the tranny wouldn’t stay in gear.
If I ever get the chance to do it again, I won’t hesitate.
divcoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #47
dpson

There is a similar road to the top of Mt. Mansfield (highest peak) in Vermont.

Here is a link to the website: https://www.stowe.com/activities/summer/auto-toll-road/

If you come on August 10-12 you can also enjoy the Stowe (now Vermont) Antique Car Show, in it's 61st year. The show moves to nearby Waterbury this year.

https://vtauto.org/vermont-car-shows/stowe-auto-show/
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 PM   #48
holdover

never drove up Mt Washington, but in another life wife and I hiked up it, and down. Pretty tough climb. At the top the road didn't look very good, but that was back in the early 70s. Ever since they established a web site I check in with them a few times a week. Pretty windy up there right now at 11:25 PM eastern it is blowing 71 MPH at the weather station. No way that I would take any of my Asa on that road., I don't think going up would be a problen, just going down

https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...onditions.aspx
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #49

I had no problem with my cell phone service at the top of the mountain. I drove my modern car up, I wouldn't drive my Model A up. If you read up on the history displayed on the wall, in the building at the top, I think it stated that about 159 people died on that mountain since the 1800s.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #50
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpson View Post
There is a similar road to the top of Mt. Mansfield (highest peak) in Vermont.

Here is a link to the website: https://www.stowe.com/activities/summer/auto-toll-road/

If you come on August 10-12 you can also enjoy the Stowe (now Vermont) Antique Car Show, in it's 61st year. The show moves to nearby Waterbury this year.

https://vtauto.org/vermont-car-shows/stowe-auto-show/

The car show is no longer held in Stowe. We went last year and it was the last year held and a dud.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #51
old31

My wife and I last year went to the meet at MT Washington. We drove up in a 2017 car and it was a real white knuckle ride for my wife in a new car.

Later when I found out that a half dozen or so A's went up all I could say is "you guys have brass ones". WOW, and good for you. I would actually like to do it and receive the banner that says "this car climbed MT Washington" and put that on the back of my A.

The road is now all paved, and the sights are spectacularly beautiful and breathtaking.

If you wait and pick a real clear day, the sights will be worth it. If it is a so so day half way up you will see nothing due to the way the weather works up there.

Mt Washington held the world record for the fastest wind ever recorded on the surface of the Earth: 231 miles per hour.

2 weeks ago Jay Leno did his show up there and talked about the engines on the cog railway.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #52
wmws
BANNED

In about 1958 I drove up Mt. Washington in a friends Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing coup. It was a fast trip up and back down. The weather at the top was terrible. Then in 1965 I tried to drive my Ford Econoline van up Pikes Peak. I got just past the rest stop flat on the floor in first gear and it wouldn't go any further. I backed down to the rest stop and while there was talking to a patrol man. He said he would take me and my wife up to the top. Well that was the wildest ride I ever had. He thought he was Bobby Unser sliding every corner like he was in the race. My poor wife in the back seat was sliding from one side of the seat to the other. I thought it was great fun but then I was young and wild.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #53
Bob Wright

This past September, the annual New England Model "A" Meet was held in North Conway New N.H.. The Grand Tour ended at the base of MT. Washington. There were 30 or so Model "A"'s that made there way to the top and reported that it for the most part it was a very memorable trip (no major problems).
Bob
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #54
jhowes

I climbed it once in the late 50's. I would recommend cast iron brakes, I think the steal ones are bound to fade. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #55
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I climbed it once in the late 50's. I would recommend cast iron brakes, I think the steal ones are bound to fade. Jack
I've never been there.
Do you descend in first gear, or can you use second gear?
Wouldn't first gear give enough engine braking?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #56
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've never been there.
Do you descend in first gear, or can you use second gear?
Wouldn't first gear give enough engine braking?

Tom after driving this road in a modern, I don't think 1st gear would hold on the way down even with a high compression head. This "hill" is steep and a very narrow road. I would never take one of my A's up there even with their cast iron drums and good brakes. But it is worth going up there. If for no other reason other than to see the cog railroad come up the mountain. Of course you can ride up and down the mountain on the train!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7913a.jpg (53.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7905a.jpg (65.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 02-24-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote