Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 03:08 AM   #41
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: 2014 Gettysburg Meet Photo Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Cool..... I have relatives there I can sponge off of. I may make that one.
Jim:spa I think they are my distant relatives of mine also see if they have spare bed for me ????? lol / lol
Old 06-26-2014, 05:15 AM   #42
VeryTangled

Hi Everyone, Vic, to your question. The show field had plenty of point judged cars, but I think overall, the V8 club has more members with cars that are not 100% factory correct than those who are going for the 1000 points.

Take my car for example, I don't have leather interior. That's something that would kill my car with the concours judges.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #43
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD_WILLIE View Post
Great cars!! Can not wait. I will there Saturday to look at the cars.
So Willie,
You made the first post back in January 2013 on my original thread giving all the info on this meet including the dates.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94950

"Man that is great it just 10 mile from uncle house. I am hoping to meet some the guys on Fordbarn. Hope to see you there. You have to give me your number so we can meet up. June 23 will be here soon"

You knew exactly when these cars would be here. When the meet would start and end. I believe many of your posts are just trying to promote conflict.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-26-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 AM   #44
Vic Piano

Jeff, thanks for that observation, I appreciate it. It has long been my opinion that members of the EFV8 Club, (especially younger members, 55 to 65 years of age) appear to like their Flatheads Hopped Up just a bit and, like me, they enjoy driving their Flatheads beyond the on/off ramps of a trailer. The photos are super, and it sounds like everyone had a good time. I love seeing restored & over-restored cars almost as much as seeing the modified cars on display with them.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #45
Vic Piano

Hi John, with respect to the EFV8 Club holding the Meets in the middle of the week, I've long thought that that was a mistake, because it limits the number of attendees to those that are retirees. As for members that still work, it may be difficult to take time off and, lets face it, most members families don't want to spend their allotted vacation time at an EFV8 Meet... I'm just sayin'...
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #46
HOTROD_WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Hi John, with respect to the EFV8 Club holding the Meets in the middle of the week, I've long thought that that was a mistake, because it limits the number of attendees to those that are retirees. As for members that still work, it may be difficult to take time off and, lets face it, most members families don't want to spend their allotted vacation time at an EFV8 Meet... I'm just sayin'...
I agree it is mistake to have show in middle of the week. People who have family and work it is hard to go to these shows. If you want the Early V-8 Club to grow it needs to be on the weekend. So everybody can enjoy. Early V-8 Club can show the next generation the enjoyment of early Ford cars. I remember going to early V-8 show years ago and everybody had left. I was surprise that they had ended show before the weekend. John hope the next big show Charlotte will include the weekend. I know shows like the Moonshine Run in Georgia includes the weekend.

Last edited by HOTROD_WILLIE; 06-26-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #47
SUHRsc

I took a half day off work yesterday to attend the show. I had an absolutely wonderful time (aside from a serious sun burn!) Every single person that I crossed paths with was great to talk to, willing to share their knowledge or just shoot the breeze(what little there was).
I was glad to be able to walk around knowing that everyone there was into the same stuff that I am. Not a field of tire kickers. Thank you to everyone involved for putting this together and having it located close enough that I could make time to attend.
It was great to meet a few people I've only talked to online, and many more that I met at the show.
Special thanks to JM35 for the distributor part I needed.

This sure was a kick in the pants to get my own V8 cars on the road and be able to be a part of the events.

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #48
JM 35 Sedan

Zach, good to meet up with you and get to meet your Dad. When you get that '39 delivery on the road, I am sure us V-8ers will enjoy seeing that at one of these meets in the future. I think many of us prefer seeing the survivors in their original patina, as much, if not more than a high point restored show vehicle.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-26-2014, 02:27 PM   #49
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Vic, I believe a big factor for the days picked to have these meets involves negotiating with the hotels for a large block of rooms at a reduced rate. These hotel rooms probably go for a premium to travelers during the weekends. Many of our RG members were actually here at the hotel the end of last week, as well as the weekend before the meet, getting things ready for this show. I got here Sunday at noon and there were plenty of old Fords parked all around the hotel parking lots for those who would want to come and look at them. As you well know, based on the gatherings you have promoted, it's difficult to please all the people all the time.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #50
V8COOPMAN

Interesting to note that this great little '36 is now sporting a windshield wiper, unlike the lack of one when it was unfortunately involved in a recent "fender bender" on the rainy morning of June 8th. Glad the damage was apparently limited. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 06-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #51
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

The no weekends bit has always annoyed me...the club is very much a geriatric organization, it seems to me, and I do not like that even though I'm part of the geriatric set...
My local chapter, at least the people who attend, will be completely extinct in 15 or 20 years. Regional club events seem about the same.
Over on the HAMB...LOTS of young people learning the flathead ropes. Yes, they are modifiers, but they are generally people who respect the Ford design and aesthetic, not the electric windows, airbags, and LS-1 engine crowd at all. Many are still in their 20's, some are even teenagers, and of course they have to be very dedicated to try to cope with current flathead and early Ford costs.
These are the future, and they are people who have jobs and children in school...they will never see a Monday through Thursday show. And neither will anyone casually interested, people who might be hooked and become flathead fanatics if they could stop by a show!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #52
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Vic, I believe a big factor for the days picked to have these meets involves negotiating with the hotels for a large block of rooms at a reduced rate. These hotel rooms probably go for a premium to travelers during the weekends. Many of our RG members were actually here at the hotel the end of last week, as well as the weekend before the meet, getting things ready for this show. I got here Sunday at noon and there were plenty of old Fords parked all around the hotel parking lots for those who would want to come and look at them. As you well know, based on the gatherings you have promoted, it's difficult to please all the people all the time.
John, I agree with you about not being able to please everyone however, as we all know, ours is not a cheap hobby to be involved in, and for the EFV8 Club, trying to save a few dollars on hotel rooms comes at the expense of all the members that can't take time off during the work week. I'm sure that, given the choice, most members would opt to pay a bit more for a hotel room, if it enabled them to attend the meet... I'm just sayin'
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #53
HOTROD_WILLIE

Quote:
John, I agree with you about not being able to please everyone however, as we all know, ours is not a cheap hobby to be involved in, and for the EFV8 Club, trying to save a few dollars on hotel rooms comes at the expense of all the members that can't take time off during the work week. I'm sure that, given the choice, most members would opt to pay a bit more for a hotel room, if it enabled them to attend the meet... I'm just sayin'
I 100% agree. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #54
Vic Piano

Willie, are you plannin' on going to the 2014 Moonshine Festival? If so, will you join us (the Cigar City Flatheads) on the White Knuckle Tour on Friday, October 24th? Hope to see you there. Vic
Old 06-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #55
HOTROD_WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
The no weekends bit has always annoyed me...the club is very much a geriatric organization, it seems to me, and I do not like that even though I'm part of the geriatric set...
My local chapter, at least the people who attend, will be completely extinct in 15 or 20 years. Regional club events seem about the same.
Over on the HAMB...LOTS of young people learning the flathead ropes. Yes, they are modifiers, but they are generally people who respect the Ford design and aesthetic, not the electric windows, airbags, and LS-1 engine crowd at all. Many are still in their 20's, some are even teenagers, and of course they have to be very dedicated to try to cope with current flathead and early Ford costs.
These are the future, and they are people who have jobs and children in school...they will never see a Monday through Thursday show. And neither will anyone casually interested, people who might be hooked and become flathead fanatics if they could stop by a show!
I agree young people is our future. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:41 PM   #56
35fordtn

Despite having to leave early and not taking a car, I had a great time and met many great people. I was impressed with the number and quality of cars there, and was happy to see the amount of early cars (32-36's) in the show.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #57
ford38v8

Hotel room costs are one of two major factors in choosing the days of a meet, the other being to allow weekend travel time for V8ers driving their cars to be in the Concourse. V8 Club meets have always been scheduled for the convenience of the members, including travel time between the three National Meets each year.

Dedicated V8ers will block out next years vacation days to include the V8 meet of their choice, while the naysayers will always have excuses for not going to a V8 Meet, and will always tell us how we should have done it to please them.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #58
Vic Piano

Alan, just for the sake of satisfying my curiosity... What is the difference between traveling on a week day or a weekend??? Also, typically, hotel occupancy is stronger on weekdays than on weekends. This is due to the large amount of business travelers during the week. Thus, the weekend room rates are generally cheaper...! Check any of the myriad hotel/motel room web sites... I'm just sayin'. It appears to me that the EFV8 Club is wrong on both counts. Also, I know from my own experience, when my kids were small, and I was a member of the EFV8 club, they and my wife had little or no interest in going to any automotive events on vacation. There are a lot of "dedicated V8ers" who won't "block out their next vacation, at the expense of their family's, to attend an EFV8 Meet. If the EFV8 club really wants to accommodate their membership, perhaps they should take a survey to get a consensus. They might find that holding the Meets over a weekend would be preferred, imagine that. We all know that you can't please everyone all the time but... It would be nice if they gave it a try.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #59
ford38v8

Like I said, the naysayers will always tell you how to do it, but will never actually lend a hand.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #60
JM 35 Sedan

One of todays tours traveled to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in Latimore Valley, Pa. and then on to the AACA Museum in Hershey, Pa. Here are a few pictures taken at the EMMR...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140626_102707.jpg (89.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102638.jpg (74.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102557.jpg (78.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102450.jpg (78.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102420.jpg (88.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102516.jpg (67.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102531.jpg (74.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102407.jpg (85.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102356.jpg (91.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102328.jpg (75.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102313.jpg (88.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102250.jpg (81.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102230.jpg (81.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102147.jpg (62.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20140626_102049.jpg (62.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-26-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Closed Thread