Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
ford38v8

Default Re: Ford/Champion spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I am hoping this is satire...
Mike, you are very intuitive.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
Ggmac

Or the AIR , needs to be pre nuclear age .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #23
tubman

Just like the Corvette guys who are constantly searching for NOS air for their non-DOT tires.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
DavidG

Mike,

I think not.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Mike,

I think not.
I agree with you. Still, I hope...
Old 09-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #26
42 1/2ton

Mike, DavidG, Alan, thanks for your input. I have purchased the plugs and they will be used in a 1942 29A 100hp Commercial.
Sorry I opened the proverbial can.
Ed
42 1/2ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #27
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 1/2ton View Post
Mike, DavidG, Alan, thanks for your input. I have purchased the plugs and they will be used in a 1942 29A 100hp Commercial.
Sorry I opened the proverbial can.
Ed
Don't be sorry Ed. You'd asked a very good question. It's unfortunate that so many are eager to offer responses that have nothing to do with the original question.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
I am hoping this is satire...

Not entirely. It's an observation of how far out some fine point restorers can get, obsessing over minor details; so why not have the correct fluids in the car as well?!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #29
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Not entirely. It's an observation of how far out some fine point restorers can get, obsessing over minor details; so why not have the correct fluids in the car as well?!
It's the minor details in life that are most satisfying. Some people may prioritize differently, but without the fine details life is a sham.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:53 PM   #30
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
It's the minor details in life that are most satisfying. Some people may prioritize differently, but without the fine details life is a sham.
Ya know Alan, I believe you are correct. Though I would add that many, perhaps most folks are unable to see the details and that may possibly be one reason many are quick to criticize and / or "poke" at the true restoration efforts going on. And, that's okay.
Still, why they attempt to tear down what brings such satisfaction to people like me I have yet to understand. I truly enjoy the research, the search for "unobtainium" parts and the constant challenge of faithfully recreating a piece of history.
Each and every vehicle I have restored has been a true test of my abilities. And, each and every time, Lord knows, I've been tested!

I have always appreciated other venues for what they are. Want a nice driver? Good for you! Enjoy!
Want a hot rod? Again, enjoy!
Hey, my wife has ten horses and strives for perfection at each and every show she competes in. Do I understand what makes her "tick"? You bet I do. Is it for me? Nope. Do I appreciate the seemingly never ending amount of effort she puts in? Yes sir!
Like me, she does this "horse thing" to see what she is capable of. She, like me, is not attempting to prove to anyone but herself / myself our respective mettle.
Don't have the desire, patience, knowledge, talents and let us not overlook $$$, to restore a car to as near perfection as humanly possible?
Okay - understood and accepted.
Now, how about accepting me and others like me?
Old 09-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #31
estout81
BANNED

Kube,

I like your thinking. Without that kind of thinking nothing would get improved.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #32
petehoovie

From spark plugs to philosophizing....This thread is devolving....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Ya know Alan, I believe you are correct. Though I would add that many, perhaps most folks are unable to see the details and that may possibly be one reason many are quick to criticize and / or "poke" at the true restoration efforts going on...…….
Like me, she does this "horse thing" to see what she is capable of. She, like me, is not attempting to prove to anyone but herself / myself our respective mettle.
Don't have the desire, patience, knowledge, talents and let us not overlook $$$, to restore a car to as near perfection as humanly possible?
Okay - understood and accepted.
Now, how about accepting me and others like me?

Kube, I can see where you're coming from. I should explain my comments were directed toward the "checkbook restorers" who buy/commission a restoration simply for bragging rights at the high end snooty shows and at their country club. They have no appreciation for the work that went into their car nor for what the car is. To them, it's just another status symbol.
Didn't mean to throw rocks at your craftsmanship. Personal satisfaction and sense of accomplishment are the true reward, I think.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Kube, I can see where you're coming from. I should explain my comments were directed toward the "checkbook restorers" who buy/commission a restoration simply for bragging rights at the high end snooty shows and at their country club. They have no appreciation for the work that went into their car nor for what the car is. To them, it's just another status symbol.
Didn't mean to throw rocks at your craftsmanship. Personal satisfaction and sense of accomplishment are the true reward, I think.
I can agree with you in part as I realize there are those that gain their bragging rights by the size of their wallet. All one needs do is attend a Barrett Jackson auction and this will be more than evident time after time.

I can also tell you from personal experience that without exception all of my clients both former and current are not simply "checkbook restorers". All have been very involved in the process and none had me restore their vehicles as a status symbol. Rather, each vehicle either meant something personal to the owner or they simply couldn't tackle the task themselves due to lack of ability and / or time.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:17 PM   #35
Tinker

Quote:

I don't want to be a dick, but isn't this what facebook is for? Let it go.

Restorations are judged as best as they can by the judges and the people restoring a vehicle can do. Some spend many hrs and decades doing so. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THAT.

Interested clients and collectors keep this industry going too. Nothing wrong with a collector. It's not exclusive to the rich... just more expensive and much quicker. You can spend a ton more on a street rod.

You can do it on a limited budget. Just my experience.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-15-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #36
42 1/2ton

40 Deluxe,
Just so you know, the 1942 Ford 1/2 ton that the spark plugs are for that seem to have caused you some hart burn is a frame off restoration that I have done myself. Over many years as I had the time and money to proceed with each step in the process.
Mike had it right. I enjoy the process of finding the parts that make the truck a piece of history, as close to the truck that rolled of off Mr. Fords assembly line as I can possibly get it.
I am sorry that you may have thought that I have deep pockets and pay someone else to do all of this for me because that is not the case.
I am a child of the 60's and love muscle cars and street rods but I also have a very deep appreciation for the original cars of all decades.
Sorry I caused you any stress over what I thought was a simple question.
Ed
42 1/2ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #37
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 1/2ton View Post
40 Deluxe,
Just so you know, the 1942 Ford 1/2 ton that the spark plugs are for that seem to have caused you some hart burn is a frame off restoration that I have done myself. Over many years as I had the time and money to proceed with each step in the process.
Mike had it right. I enjoy the process of finding the parts that make the truck a piece of history, as close to the truck that rolled of off Mr. Fords assembly line as I can possibly get it.
I am sorry that you may have thought that I have deep pockets and pay someone else to do all of this for me because that is not the case.
I am a child of the 60's and love muscle cars and street rods but I also have a very deep appreciation for the original cars of all decades.
Sorry I caused you any stress over what I thought was a simple question.
Ed
Well, I have spouted off out of turn it seems. Sorry guys, I apologize.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:38 AM   #38
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
From spark plugs to philosophizing....This thread is devolving....
On the contrary, sir. I believe that more than a few personal opinions have evolved from this thread.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #39
kirkf

This is a very interesting thread!
Since I have no personal experience in concourse judging, I had no idea the level of detail owners work towards in their restorations.

Sounds like it would be very rewarding to try and maintain the historical accuracy to these levels.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #40
DavidG

It is (very rewarding).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote