Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #1
42 1/2ton

Default Ford/Champion spark plugs

Have done several searches here and understand that the Ford/Champion plugs are thought to be replacement plugs but would they lose points if the vehicle was being judged?
The reason I ask is that I have located some of the Ford/Champion H9 Comm plugs, part number 01T 12405. These would be installed into a 1942 Ford Commercial with 29A 100 hp.
42 1/2ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Ford/Champion spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42 1/2ton View Post
Have done several searches here and understand that the Ford/Champion plugs are thought to be replacement plugs but would they lose points if the vehicle was being judged?
The reason I ask is that I have located some of the Ford/Champion H9 Comm plugs, part number 01T 12405. These would be installed into a 1942 Ford Commercial with 29A 100 hp.

Last edited by Kube; 09-13-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Well, I can add this...
Having served as both a judge and a deputy judge (numerous times) I would not deduct for FORD plugs.
Why?

Well, no one knows for certain if these were factory installed or service parts. How could I possibly defend one position or the other if I simply don't know which position is correct?
I would deduct if they are five rib plugs.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #4
42 1/2ton

Thanks Kube, for your reply. The plugs that I have located are the 2 rib type.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
DavidG

With similar to Mike's judging experience, I also would not deduct points for plugs with Ford on the insulator as long as the rest of the plug was correct for vintage of the application. My rationale would be the same as Mike's.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #6
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
With similar to Mike's judging experience, I also would not deduct points for plugs with Ford on the insulator as long as the rest of the plug was correct for vintage of the application. My rationale would be the same as Mike's.
Now ya got me thinkin'. I answered deduction on his question put on the V8 Club Forum. Yes, I agree now, we don't know for sure on the Ford Script plugs. ...But, what about the H9 ? In any case, very close to original would certainly not be maximum 8 points.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Now ya got me thinkin'. I answered deduction on his question put on the V8 Club Forum. Yes, I agree now, we don't know for sure on the Ford Script plugs. ...But, what about the H9 ? In any case, very close to original would certainly not be maximum 8 points.
H9 were OFTEN used in the pickup trucks. in fact, from the documents I've seen, that was the typical plug installed in the light commercial vehicles in 1940.

And, I disagree with you about "close to original"... this ain't horse shoes. If it is wrong, well, it's wrong. "Close" is simply another word for "wrong".
Old 09-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
42 1/2ton

Alan I am not sure I understand. The Ford parts manuals that I have list the H9 comm plugs for all the Commercials 1938 thru 1947, 90 and 100 hp with Ford part number listed as 01T 12405.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Alan I am not sure I understand. The Ford parts manuals that I have list the H9 comm plugs for all the Commercials 1938 thru 1947, 90 and 100 hp with Ford part number listed as 01T 12405.
In Alan's defense, not many folks realize that light commercial vehicles were factory equipped with the H9. That being said, I can ONLY speak with any authority in regard to 1940 / 1941.

As a side note:
One thing you MUST keep in mind is that parts books are NOT a good source for restoration reference. These books listed parts that were meant to fit and function with little to zero consideration of what we now term "concourse correct".
I wish I had a dollar for each time an owner attempted to defend a part on his restoration as being correct as it was listed in a parts book. Even more laughable (sad) are the folks that insist it is correct because that's the way it's listed in a (example) Drake catalog.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
42 1/2ton

Mike, I didn't intend for my response to Alan to be in any way negative, just didn't understand the response. With all questions I have ever ask on the Ford Barn Alan has been very informative.
Thanks for you response to my spark plug question as I have not purchased the plugs yet and needed to know the opinion on how they would be judged.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Mike, I didn't intend for my response to Alan to be in any way negative, just didn't understand the response. With all questions I have ever ask on the Ford Barn Alan has been very informative.
Thanks for you response to my spark plug question as I have not purchased the plugs yet and needed to know the opinion on how they would be judged.
I didn't once believe your response(s) were negative in any way. I highly doubt Alan did either.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
40 Deluxe

Good grief! Why all the nitpicking over a wear item like a spark plug??
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:40 PM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

I have a 20's 18mm champion spark plug in my 1927 McCormick Deering, works amazingly great. Would hate to run another plug in it. A good plug doesn't always wear out as advertised.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #14
ford38v8

Quote:
Thank you for your confidence in my ability. My downfall is my readiness to put my foot in my mouth, as Mike and David are always there ready to prove me wrong!
Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Perhaps you don't comprehend the desire some folks have to properly restore their cars???

Those that choose to do so must pay special attention to the MANY fine details of absolute correctness.
This is precisely why there are very few (true) #1 cars in existence.

From my personal experience, it is those fine details that are both frustrating and VERY satisfying to achieve.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Thank you for your confidence in my ability. My downfall is my readiness to put my foot in my mouth, as Mike and David are always there ready to prove me wrong!
Alan, I enjoy the sparring with you. You've taught me a lot through the years my friend. I hope you'll keep it up!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #17
JT FORD

What about the cars that have ethanol gasoline or gas with out the lead?
Henry never built a car and shipped it out without the correct gas... Forget the spark plug numbers.
JT FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
DavidG

The original plugs perform well with modern gasoline, with or without ethanol.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT FORD View Post
What about the cars that have ethanol gasoline or gas with out the lead?
Henry never built a car and shipped it out without the correct gas... Forget the spark plug numbers.
Hey, I never thought of that! None of these high point/fine point cars have the correct gas in them! How many points must be deducted for this error? Think of the frustration/satisfaction in trying to find/finding period correct gasoline! Not to mention the test equipment the judges need to properly analyze the gas tank's contents.
Next, what about fluids? It's not a correct restoration if the car has modern engine oil, gear oil or brake fluid! Or modern grease in the wheel bearings, or steering box.

Last edited by 40 Deluxe; 09-14-2018 at 10:05 AM.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
Kube

Quote:
Hey, I never thought of that! None of these high point/fine point cars have the correct gas in them! How many points must be deducted for this error? Think of the frustration/satisfaction in trying to find/finding period correct gasoline! Not to mention the test equipment the judges need to properly analyze the gas tank's contents.
Next, what about fluids? It's not a correct restoration if the car has modern engine oil, gear oil or brake fluid! Or modern grease in the wheel bearings, or steering box.
I am hoping this is satire...