Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
A-Jay

Question Cowl Lights, what was there purpose ?

I have parking lights,low and high beams and cowl lights that are now used for turn signals. Is it correct that a car would have had either cowl or parking lights in the headlights but not both ? also would they (the cowl) have been controlled from the same headlight switch on the steering wheel ? I am about to install a set of Logo lights for turn and hazzard lights and was thinking of connecting the cowl lights to the SPDT switch that was for the home made turn signals, any advise would help.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
night-train

Default Re: Cowl Lights, what was there purpose ?

on a ford model a they were parking lights only. turning the switch to the left turns on cowl and tail lights . they were only on deluxe cars as standard equipment and as a dealer installed option on others
night-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

The deluxe bodies had the cowl lights for parking lights and the standard bodies would have them in the headlights (2 bulb reflectors).

Their original purpose was to provide light at night when parked. There were laws that required the lights to be used. You would part in the street at night and have to turn them on and it probably was in your best interest since there were not many street lights at the time.
I believe in Europe there are some places that require them to used at night still. I know on my Mercedes there is a position on the head light switch that allows you to turn on the the left or right parking lights.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
30Tudor

I didn’t see much practical use for them and I converted mine to signal lights and also use them for day-time driving lights. I also have the two-lite headlamps. I know this would make most people cringe at the thought of it. However, I'm willing to sacrifice looks and authenticity for safety.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cowl light 2.JPG (21.4 KB, 190 views)
30Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote