Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Bruce in southern OH

Default 53 Continental Carb. Problems

This carb is off a 53 Continental Y-block engine, friend has this carb on his old 53 Continental and it does idle and start fine, it will not take gas, you can feather the pedal to get more gas and higher speed, but if you try and accelerate from stop normal is will quit. You can start right back up but he needs fixed. He has the carb clean and has put new parts in carb, EXCEPT on piece that did not come in kit that he says was to let gas just go one way and it goes both ways. Let me know your thoughts, Bruce

Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 53 Continental Carb. Problems

There is a guy who posts in the late V8 forum here. His username is scicala. He has rebuilt many teapot carbs like yours, sounds like he has a lot of knowledge and has been appreciated by many a Fordbarner. Try lookin him up.
BTW, your car is not a Continental. It is probably a Capri. The Continental was discontinued after the 1948 model year and re-introduced again for the first time in 1956 as the small, sporty Continental MARK. Had your car been a '52, I would have said it was a Cosmopolitan. I believe that was the last year for the Cosmo.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Bruce in southern OH

Daaves55Sedan, you are correct, I learn something everyday, I called the guy (Dave) with car and read this to him over phone and he said "yeah, it says Cosmopolitan on side" who would have know, thanks. Now, the car will accelerate if you hold choke closed, we started engine and he showed me that car will rev up if choke is held close. Hope this will help someone reading to tell us what problem is, I will look up scicala and contact, thanks again.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, it's not getting enough fuel when the throttle opens, so would think it has something to do with the acceleration system on the carb. Not familiar with that carb (I worked on them years ago, but remember almost nothing about them), but it should have an acceleration pump/power valve of some type in it. Whenever you open a throttle something has to provide addition fuel for it to accelerate. Carbs work on vacuum (negative air pressure through the venturi) to pull the fuel from the fuel bowls through the jets and into the airstream. When you open the throttle the manifold pressure drops (actually the pressure increases, so it is less negative pressure) and the carb supplies less fuel to the incoming air. This drop in the fuel supplied is made up for with a power valve or an accelerator pump which provides supplemental fuel until the manifold pressure rises (becomes more negative again) and the carb can ones again provide enough fuel through the jets. Sounds like this supplemental system is not working, thus the need for the choke to limit the pressure rise in the venturi.

Last edited by JSeery; 09-30-2014 at 02:22 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
rotorwrench

I agree about the accelerator pump. I run the Holley 885 on my mercs so they don't have the same power valve system. The later ones should have a conventional Holley power valve but I'd have to check. I'd first make sure the accelerator pump is a pumpin some gas.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Bruce in southern OH

Accelerator pump is pumping gas, nice stream every time we push accelerator, just will not feed more fuel???? thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
40 FourDrDlx

If it runs better with the choke on, could that mean a vacuum leak somewhere?
40 FourDrDlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Fordestes

check your cam timing , check for slack in the timing chain/gear, I found this to be the culprit on many chrysler engines , I don't really know' other than engine vacuume is affected, after I corrected the timing the engines would run like a saape
also check for a restricted exhaust stuck heat riser etc., put a vac. gauge on the intake and see what's going on.
Fordestes,
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Vacuum leak makes the mixture lean. Pulling choke will enrichen. If the main jets or the atomizer tubes for them are plugged, you won't get enough fuel to get much off idle. Check the power valve too. It might have a vacuum leak or be plugged up or something. Fuel pump pressure too low or low float level could also be a problem.

Those Holleys are weird carbs but they still work with the same priciples as the convention float bowl designs.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote