Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
fast fredy

Default gas pedal location

Ive replaced the floor pan in my 55 and now need to locate exactly where to mount the pedal . Would you centre the rod through the floor in its hole and then mate the pedal to the rod and assume thats correct for mounting the pedal , . Another question , I know it could be either way but would you install carpet or kick panels first thanks Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Post Re: gas pedal location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast fredy View Post

Ive replaced the floor pan in my 55 and now need to locate exactly where to mount the pedal . Would you centre the rod through the floor in its hole and then mate the pedal to the rod and assume thats correct for mounting the pedal , .
Where is the take-out? You would take the measurement(s) off of it.

Quote:
Another question , I know it could be either way but would you install carpet or kick panels first thanks Fred
I would think carpet first as the kick panel will overlap it and help hold it in place.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
Bill Playfoot

Default Re: gas pedal location

The gas pedal area must have been where the floor had rusted away leaving just a hole. My '58 is like that. I will mount the pedal to the rod and adjust where it will attach to the floor until I find the comfort zone for applying pressure on the gas peddle.
Put the carpet in first then install the kick panels.
Bill Playfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
Gene F

Bill is right. Attach it and work your way down.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:10 AM   #5
Daves55Sedan

Here's what I have done to help insure an error-free installation:
Attach the gas pedal on to the curved rod that pokes thru the 3/4" diameter hole in the foot riser panel and set the pedal base down on the floor.
Note the position of the rod thru the riser panel and it's relation to the top and bottom of the hole.
Pull back or push forward the base of the pedal on the floor until the rod is centered in the 3/4" diameter hole.
Manually hold the pedal base to the floor and push the top of the gas pedal down (simulating acceleration). If the rod scrapes against the hole at some point, adjust the position of the base so that there is no interference between the rod and the hole for the full travel of the gas pedal.
Once you find that sweet spot, hold the base down at that location and mark the two mounting holes, then drill them out for the lag bolts.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:16 AM   #6
Daves55Sedan

BTW, the factory installation of the pedal was ON TOP of the full-coverage rubber floor-mats in Mainline and Customline cars. I would assume they did it the same way in Fairlane series cars with carpeting, but won't swear to it.
Although, some "made-to-fit" aftermarket carpets had a slot which allowed you to pull the carpet down over the gas-pedal (requiring removal from the curved connecting rod thru the riser panel), you can still ignore that slot and mount the pedal base on top of the carpet.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: gas pedal location

Just one thing ...

If an AT, you may want to ascertain if the throttle linkage and TV linkage is adjusted correctly before nailing the pedal down. If it all has to be adjusted later to gain proper trans operation you may run into a problem.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:25 AM   #8
fast fredy

Standard transmission.... thanks for all the input , will get er done thanks Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote