Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default Hershey Show

I attended the show on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday and had a great time. This year seemed like a great turnout - especially for people with the motorized carts (practically running over people thinking they have the right of way all the time). There are legitimate handicap people that honestly need these motorized carts - but the majority of the folks I saw at the show were simply just obese and needed to walk off those extra 100 pounds instead rushing from food cart to food cart. I know we are all getting older, but when I can't walk for more than an hour or two - I'll give up going to Hershey and stick to E-Bay and attend local shows. I also have a problem trying to figure the rational for the Field Map locations. How about a simpler numbering system that match the numbers already posted on the light poles?
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
1938 Woody Cape Cod

Default Re: Hershey Show

I will second that......................
1938 Woody Cape Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
mhsprecher

Not only the motorized carts, but people driving through the crowds thinking we need to part like the waters. I also found the cans people put on the golf carts to serve as a warning annoying. I understand the purpose, but I didn't like it anyway.

The paved flea market is much better than the old fields and the periodic mud, but there are lots of wide open spaces. I suggest that people write Eastern Region AACA to register their complaints if we want any hope of change.

I agree the numbering system could be better. I would assume this is a volunteer effort, so they just do what they did last year. I was surprised how clueless the people were who were telling you where to park in the show field. Again volunteers, so we need to keep that in mind.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 10-13-2015 at 09:26 AM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #4
Bryan Markell

It is my understanding vendor space pricing is on the rise again for next year ( $90.00 ? ). If vendors don't feel they can manage the increased cost of attending the event they will stay home as they did this year. It may also be interesting to note the entire event is now well fenced, is a field entry fee looming? Numerous events across the country have been destroyed by increased costs to the vendors and attendees.

The comment related to folks riding rather than walking through the event is well founded. This is an item that has reared it's ugly head at many events and it is up to the organizers to put a stop to all movement in the flea market area that is not necessary. There may be exceptions and I understand the health issues that dog our society. Historically, folks walked or stayed home rather than interfere with the enjoyment of others.

I must admit the cans dragging do at least offer some warning that the threat is near. I too, refuse to yield to riders who hustle by vending tables hoping the crowds will accept their presence.

The weather was nothing short of fantastic for this time of year and I enjoyed the opportunity to be in attendance.
Bryan Markell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
Straightpipes

Wow, why not just enjoy the show.... Nothing is going to change so live with it. The guys who run the meet have no interest in what you have to say....I think it's great that old folks can go on wheels and perhaps extend their enjoyment a few years. If you have a friend who has a staff buggy he can spend the day riding you around...fast!
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
Clem Clement

Jim and I were there tues-Fri. We had a wonderful time. No complaints. Bestest wx ever. We split just before the rains came. We sold some, had such a magnificent time talking to the world and giving out free advice. This year our advice was 50%.

I am writing a Clemreport as usual. I have some Q's about what I learned and will treat them separately

Last edited by Clem Clement; 10-14-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
jacob smith

I myself do not mind the scooters for the people that need them. I in joyed the show But I do think that AACA could tighten up the show buy moving the people that are just parking or camping out of the vendors area. There is a lot of open space in the vendor area and it would help the sellers because they would get more traffic and help the buyers to see more of the vendors
Old 10-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Ronnieroadster

After seeing how many MORE golf carts are now going up and down the isles I think next year I'm going to start selling golf cart repair parts. Also IM considering adding a battery selection for the MANY mobility carts that also seem to be increasing by more than double each year. And to be helpful a battery recharge station could also be another way to generate cash to help offset the higher fees. With the perfect weather and huge crouds thsi year was certainly one of the best yet.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
ct1932ford

Could not beat the weather! Had a great time as usual. Good people from all over. I agree the lamp posts seem to be more user friendly. But I always find my way. Is it time for 2016 yet?
Old 10-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #10
Straightpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
After seeing how many MORE golf carts are now going up and down the isles I think next year I'm going to start selling golf cart repair parts. Also IM considering adding a battery selection for the MANY mobility carts that also seem to be increasing by more than double each year. And to be helpful a battery recharge station could also be another way to generate cash to help offset the higher fees. With the perfect weather and huge crouds thsi year was certainly one of the best yet.
Ronnie, that's a great idea !
Old 10-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
spdster

I was informed that riding your bicycle was no longer allowed on Tuesdays - I think because the vendors were too busy racing to their spots to care about people on bicycles yet adult trikes were okay. So I am putting a training wheel on my bike making it a three wheeler. :{)
spdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:11 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

One of the most unique "rigs" I saw at Hershey was a battery operated 3 wheel mobility chair pulling a wagon with a generator running that was charging the chair batteries, plus running an electric house fan that was keeping the generator and the driver cool. LOL

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

I may throw out some spike strings when I see those carts coming down the isle. Conveniently, I'll have a tires repair station at my spot.

Someone said it before, I don't want to sound cold, but some of those folks don't seem to need those carts at all. I love it when I see a seemingly able bodied person stop their cart, hop out without issue to check out a part, and then hop back into their cart until their next stop.

I guess it isn't too hard to get a permit to use one of those.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Cecil/WV

There are those, including myself at times, that can walk just fine as long as it isn't too far. After about 20 or 30 minutes, my hips hurt so bad that I can't walk. Other times, I can walk for a couple of hours with no problem. Are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to look for what I need to finish my project or that the vendors don't want my money?? I probably won't be around when you reach this point in your life to find out how you feel about it then.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
There are those, including myself at times, that can walk just fine as long as it isn't too far. After about 20 or 30 minutes, my hips hurt so bad that I can't walk. Other times, I can walk for a couple of hours with no problem. Are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to look for what I need to finish my project or that the vendors don't want my money?? I probably won't be around when you reach this point in your life to find out how you feel about it then.
Cecil:

No and I think we all know the type of person I'm talking about. I believe some folks have figured out they can cover the show very quickly by getting permission to have a cart there. How you go about doing that? I don't know and hopefully I'll never need to find out.

Plain and simple, there are folks driving around in carts that don't need them. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Straightpipes

The thing is that you don't have any idea what the persons handicap is. He may be able to walk only a short distance. He may have heart problems. He may have a prosthetic leg. YOU don't know.....I think that HERCO should be proud that the meet is completely ADA compliant.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Carl

...both Tim Ayers & Straightpipes are exactly correct.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #18
Al NJ

Do you need to have a doctor's note to have a cart?
Al NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #19
Cecil/WV

You need a state issued handicap tag like the one you hang on the mirror.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #20
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
...both Tim Ayers & Straightpipes are exactly correct.
I agree with all three of you - you never know what is going on in their lives and we are not here to judge ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote