Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2023, 10:37 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Champion H10 coke bottle spark plugs

Having never participated in a car show, I have displayed antique tractors and stationary engines at a large 4 day meet at Lynden Wa for 36 years. At this type of show anyone who displays receives the same ribbon. It does not matter if you showed up with six pristine John Deeres, or you are an eight year old kid who painted your grand dad's old riding lawn mower with a brush. Finances are out of the equation.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:35 PM   #22
slowforty

Judging is judging. Depends on the Judge.$500 spark plugs do not live in my neighborhood. At my age i find other things to obsess about. Everyone has a right to their own opinion
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:17 PM   #23
28fordroadster

What is a set of these plugs worth? I might have seen a set in a parts haul that I picked up
28fordroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:28 PM   #24
Bored&Stroked

Now I know some of you guys are going to disapprove of my following babble, but it seems ridiculous that "consumables" should be such a big deal. To the point that guys have to swap out spark plugs, fanbelts and other such things.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the car or the restoration, so it makes little sense to me. Something that should cost less than $40 (regular plugs), folks have to pay $500 for - just to put them in for judging . . . just to take them back out.

Given all the costs and time involved in restoring a vintage Ford to even qualify for Dearborn judging, it shouldn't come down to fanbelts and spark plugs.

There I said it . . . roast away boys, roast away . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:17 PM   #25
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Now I know some of you guys are going to disapprove of my following babble, but it seems ridiculous that "consumables" should be such a big deal. To the point that guys have to swap out spark plugs, fanbelts and other such things.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the car or the restoration, so it makes little sense to me. Something that should cost less than $40 (regular plugs), folks have to pay $500 for - just to put them in for judging . . . just to take them back out.

Given all the costs and time involved in restoring a vintage Ford to even qualify for Dearborn judging, it shouldn't come down to fanbelts and spark plugs.

No one ever considers putting 1930's air in the tires. Minus 10 points for that.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:42 AM   #26
Kube

Quote:

I think, with respect, that you and a few others are missing the main point here.
The main point?
The published rules of the judging by the Early Ford V8 Club of America.
The car must be restored to how it left the factory.

Purchasing a set of $500 spark plugs may seem ridiculous to you and others. Purchasing an $80,000 new pickup truck seems insane to me.
It's all about choices.

It is NOT about reinventing the rules just so a guy can say he won.
Don't like the way the game is played? Don't play.
However (another choice here...) if you do choose to play, don't attempt to change the rules.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:16 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

Most rules change over time. As long as they are clear and everybody is playing by the same set, then it is cool with me.

But, if one doesn't question some of the rules and try to improve a situation, then progress is rarely made on anything.

I don't play in the Dearborn world - and the thought of having to search all over heck and gone for H-10 coke bottle plugs that I only install for shows (just to be competitive) is a bit much for me. But - that is my opinion and nothing more . . . LOL
Old 05-03-2023, 08:22 AM   #28
Kube

Quote:
Most rules change over time. As long as they are clear and everybody is playing by the same set, then it is cool with me.

But, if one doesn't question some of the rules and try to improve a situation, then progress is rarely made on anything.

I don't play in the Dearborn world - and the thought of having to search all over heck and gone for H-10 coke bottle plugs that I only install for shows (just to be competitive) is a bit much for me. But - that is my opinion and nothing more . . . LOL
There are classes for those that don't want to be point judged.
I'm not a fan of "watering down" the rules so everyone "wins". What do they "win" when the rules have been relaxed? That's called an attendance award.

By the way, I leave the plugs (and everything else) on the car permanently.
In fact, my '36 roadster, a former very high point car, gets driven with a set of concourse correct plugs.
Old 05-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #29
deuce5wndw

Picked these up over the weekend. Some corrosion on the brass but should clean off nice. PM me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01459.JPG (141.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01460.JPG (138.6 KB, 64 views)
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #30
1952henry

Talking Re: Champion H10 coke bottle spark plugs

All of this mention of coke makes me want a coke and bourbon. Well the bourbon, I’ll pass on the coke.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:26 AM   #31
51504bat

Quote:

No roast from me. Just a well said. But then my '39 p/u has a Studebaker bed on it so originality isn't high on my importance scale. But the rules are the rules. If you don't like them fire up your old Ford and drive somewhere else. Or worse yet, buy a Corvette and worry about if the wheel weights are factory correct.
Old 05-03-2023, 11:46 AM   #32
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I think, with respect, that you and a few others are missing the main point here.
The main point?
The published rules of the judging by the Early Ford V8 Club of America.
The car must be restored to how it left the factory.

Purchasing a set of $500 spark plugs may seem ridiculous to you and others. Purchasing an $80,000 new pickup truck seems insane to me.
It's all about choices.

It is NOT about reinventing the rules just so a guy can say he won.
Don't like the way the game is played? Don't play.
However (another choice here...) if you do choose to play, don't attempt to change the rules.
Mike, I really like what you said here. There is no competition between participants, everyone can receive a Dearborn or no one can receive one. Entrants are working within the rules, not in competition with each other.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #33
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Mike, I really like what you said here. There is no competition between participants, everyone can receive a Dearborn or no one can receive one. Entrants are working within the rules, not in competition with each other.
Thanks for the kind words Alan
Old 05-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #34
Bored&Stroked

I knew a roasting was about to ensue as I was making a known controversial statement. Different folks have different opinions and I certainly have no disrespect for those who take exception to mine (or I wouldn't have posted it).

The rules should never be different from one competitor to the next and a change in an area like this doesn't suddenly create more "winners". I'm sure all those who build cars to compete in this category know the rules and build as such.

I just wish I had a couple cases of H-10 Coke Bottles to sell.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:28 AM   #35
deuce5wndw

How about for the truck guys H-9 com?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01461.JPG (140.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01462.JPG (139.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01463.JPG (134.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01464.JPG (133.0 KB, 27 views)
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 01:40 PM   #36
Karl Wescott

To me (with a "hot rodder" mindset but desires a highly accurate baseline from which to deviate) there are some basic incompatibilities between a car that is to be driven vs one which is to "be put on a pedestal". Items that are not "consumable" should always be "factory correct" for a vehicle being judged as "factory correct". Items that are "consumable" and are inherently unsafe due to age and/or irreplaceable due to an absence of acceptable reproductions should be allowed to be changed out between the driving phase and "factory correct" judging phase. What I would recommend is full disclosure. If you are going to swap out your NOS but unsafe original Firestones, your NOS but fragile fan belts or what have you, then display and declare them at the time of both the operational check (with what is "incorrect" but operational installed on the car) and at the time of the concourse judging (with the parts that have been removed... and an explanation why).

Above all, try to have fun pride and enjoyment in owning, operating, displaying and judging these vehicles... and be compassionate enough to others who may have differing values to originality so they also will continue to have fun, pride, and enjoyment in their vehicle and when judging.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:12 PM   #37
Roger/Sacramento

If the vehicle is to be correct as it was driven from the factory......FUEL , OIL, WATER , GREASE comes to mind.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #38
Bored&Stroked

Hey Karl - nice summary . . . I think you captured the broader context well.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:45 PM   #39
tubman

"Sly and the Family Stone" had it right : "Diff'rent Strokes for for Diff'rent Folks".

OK I have to admit it; I have a few wrong wheel weights on my Corvette (I think there is an incorrect tire valve cap as well.)

I hope "Coopman" doesn't see this; there is a chance that he thinks I'm a "matching numbers geek".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote