Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
estout81
BANNED

Default manifold

I have this manifold on my engine and would like to know if anybody knows what model it is and how it performs compares to others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6300313.jpg (84.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg S6300314.jpg (82.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg S6300340.jpg (43.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg S6300341.jpg (41.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg S6300342.jpg (42.9 KB, 52 views)
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: manifold

Take a look at the thread titled "Hot rod magazine article on testing popular flathead manifolds" have a look at the linked article for a dyno comparison of your Edelbrock regular dual against some other manifolds.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Take a look at the thread titled "Hot rod magazine article on testing popular flathead manifolds" have a look at the linked article for a dyno comparison of your Edelbrock regular dual against some other manifolds.
Martin.
Excellent advice.
Or ... you could buy a copy of John W Lawson's (JWL on here) book Flathead Facts and get the facts.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Excellent advice.
Or ... you could buy a copy of John W Lawson's (JWL on here) book Flathead Facts and get the facts.
I'll take your "excellent advise" and raise it with another "excellent advise" on John's book.
With both in hand, you'll see that the dyno comparison in the magazine article, closely relates to what a lot of folk do. Ie, just change the manifold. Now pick up Johns book an you'll see that with a bit of time spent with the ignition timing, the power can be bought up a bit more. Johns initial test of the PM7 against a stock single, made my eyebrows go up. You gota buy it to find out all the facts.
And always remember, dyno comparison numbers should only be used to compare on the same dyno. The very same engine can and will show different power numbers when tested on different dynos. Some builders use extremely "happy" dynos. If a stock flathead dynos at anywhere near its factory rating, that is a happy dyno, as was Henry's.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
I have this manifold on my engine and would like to know if anybody knows what model it is and how it performs compares to others.
The intake is a '49-'53 regular dual, but don't remember the model number. I've been running the same one on my '51 for many years with very good results. The carbs are now are 94s but will change to 48s or 97s in the future.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
estout81
BANNED

V8 Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Was just wondering if other people thought this was a good performing manifold as I don't have any experience with other manifolds on flatheads. Mine is a 276 with many modifications and runs very well after I tuned on it. Why would you want to change carburetors?
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by estout81 View Post
V8 Bob,
Thanks for the reply. Was just wondering if other people thought this was a good performing manifold as I don't have any experience with other manifolds on flatheads. Mine is a 276 with many modifications and runs very well after I tuned on it. Why would you want to change carburetors?
I run 3 97s on a 286" in my roadster and really like their performance, and am curious what difference (if any) Strombergs would make on the 239 in my '51. For one thing, I like the mechanical Stromberg power valves better than the vacuum Holley 94s, because no special machining, gaskets or valves are needed.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote