Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
trucker1

Default Fuel pump pushrod hybrid

Could someone help? I'm using a Thickston PM 7 intake made for a 32 to 48 but bolting it to a 53 8BA engine. Could someone suggest the correct length to shorten the later pushrod? Thanks, Glynn.
trucker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
flatjack9

Default Re: Fuel pump pushrod hybrid

Shorten it to match the early pushrod. The pushrod is hollow and the ends are pressed in.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Ralph Moore

Please don't use the word Hybred on this forum, makes me think of them damn foreign bunny hugger cars, and gets my blood pressure up.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
28A

Flatjack, would that not depend on whether or not the PM-7's fuel pump stand (as in the stand on the manifold, not the one the pump bolts to) is the same height as an original manifold?

I know that my Edelbrock Super Dual is different to the height of my original '37 aluminium manifold.
28A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
RalphG

This post reminds me of an old trick I was shown years ago in an effort to improve the output of a weak old fuel pump on a well worn flathead engine. We would cut a small piece of leather to fit inside the cup on the fuel pump actuating lever. In effect it gave a little longer stroke to the push rod and increased the fuel pump output. That was the theory anyway.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28A View Post
Flatjack, would that not depend on whether or not the PM-7's fuel pump stand (as in the stand on the manifold, not the one the pump bolts to) is the same height as an original manifold?

I know that my Edelbrock Super Dual is different to the height of my original '37 aluminium manifold.
The PM-7 would be the same as the cast iron manifold which is taller than the aluminum manifold. I think the rod is 8 7/8's in. long. I would have to double check, but maybe someone else will chime in.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
trucker1

Thanks for taking the time to help guys. Glynn.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

There were only 2 lengths of common pushrod for the early engines...if the back of the manifold is somewhere near 1" high, you want the short one, if circa 2" you want the long. The stock 8ba manifold is the same height at FP stand flange as early long pushrod ones, by the way. I believe you can drive a '48 type pushrod bushing right into the '49-53 one and have an instant conversion to early pushrod. I have never done that myself and currently can't find my spare bushings to check, but I guy I suggested it to said that it worked well.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
trucker1

Thanks Bruce, It looks like the 8 and 7/8 inch is the length I need to make it. This site sure is awesome. Glynn
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
trucker1

Hey Bruce, does the early bushing press directly inside the late one or do you have to remove the late bushing? Glynn.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

I have never made that adaptation...I mostly mess with 99's and 59's...but I have been told that it is an exact fit with nothing more than light tapping to insert. I suggested the route to someone on the HAMB, and he confirmed that it worked and was easy, so I cautiously believe it is so. My spare bushing is hiding somewhere, so I can't easily checkitout myself, but with a couple bucks and 5 minutes you'll know! Please report back!
(edit,early bushing goes into the late bushing. Cannot remember the numbers, except that ID of early is 3/8 and that late pushrod is a good deal fatter than that.)
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote