Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
Wick

Default Made it to Hershey

Just got here..Showers off and on. Rain is suppose to stop tonight.
High @ 70 and sunny Tomorrow! Wed. cloudy chance of rain in the evening.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Made it to Hershey

If I am lucky, I will find your spot on Friday. I don't have much flea market time scheduled.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Roadster62

Wick, how long is the line of vendors? Will they let you on the lots (we used to say fields). We hit the road tomorrow around dawn. Bob
Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
peters180a/170b

Now this really sucks..... weather for days at Hershey starting on Wed. [Nice] Thursday 40% rain , Friday 60% rain , Saturday 40% rain, and Sunday 40% rain....At least i am NOT in the Blue field like years ago in the mud and in some spots 3 feet of water!
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Wick

The Rain has moved out,Sun has been seen! Theres enough Blue sky to patch a little Boy's Britches.
Vender line is already over the hill waiting for tomorrow.
Saw a pile of Model A doors in the campground!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Roadster62

So the sales have started even if the stuff hasn't hit the fields? I've added rain suits and a case of Tingsley overshoes to the load, got to take advantage of the bad weather when I can. Bob
Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
quickchange

Wick, Mutter mutter, Its wet in Kiwi land too, Our big swap meet this coming weekend & true too form supposed to rain, Have a good one.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i was planning to go thursday but not if this holds true
looks like the rusty parts will be going up in value as they get more rusty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (63.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-08-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Hershey needs to move to Minneapolis, so they are closer to the center of the U.S.

Nice weather here for the whole week.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Stick Shift

Tom you got the Roadster swap this sunday to go to.
Stick Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Shift View Post
Tom you got the Roadster swap this sunday to go to.
It's OK, but nothing compares to Hershey. Hope I can make it there next year.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
5window

I just got back home from a nice day, though the sun wasn;t shining. Pretty good vendor turnout, fair mob of walkers. Not many actual suppliers-somehow it seems like every other vendor was selling old signs at a pretty good price. I had a great time and logged 13.2 miles. I am now sitting down.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
ronn

Not many actual suppliers.... by 5window

Issues have come up in
recent years regarding taxation-not to get into politics, but much discussion was made last year on the AACA forum regarding this. Seems many suppliers "show" their wares and if you want to purchase something, have to use your phone and place an order. What is on the table is basically for display....
This isn't encouraging to the hobby.... but PA wants it's tax monies
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Not many actual suppliers.... by 5window

Issues have come up in
recent years regarding taxation-not to get into politics, but much discussion was made last year on the AACA forum regarding this. Seems many suppliers "show" their wares and if you want to purchase something, have to use your phone and place an order. What is on the table is basically for display....
This isn't encouraging to the hobby.... but PA wants it's tax monies
True-but now you have to pay tax even when you order online-keep a record or pay their "estimated" amount based on your income. I don't think it's the tax man, I think it's the cost of stocking and lugging inventory around that makes the companies just bring demos. But still, there is something to be said for being able to hold stuff in your hands, check out the workmanship and talk to the sales people how it fits together. Most of them are still knowledgeable and not some kid who's been a widget expert for 15 minutes-since he/she got fired from the burger line.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Hershey needs to move to Minneapolis, so they are closer to the center of the U.S.

Nice weather here for the whole week.
Absolutely, Southern Minnesota-Southern Wisconsin-Iowa-Ilinois-Indiana any would be a good choice!!!

Midwest doesn't have near the rain it looks like they are always having in Pennsylvania, in October I guess the trick is, to move the AACA OUT of Hershey!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Midwest Tin

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg
(Hershey needs to move to Minneapolis, so they are closer to the center of the U.S.)

Tom,
I made it to Hershey this year and the rain ended the swap for me earlier than I wanted to. Hershey Meet Location is great but I would think moving the Hershey meet would loose alot of East coast venders. I would like to see a AACA meet in Louisville Ky. at the fair grounds where the Street Rod Nationals are held. It can handle a very large crowd. Lots of Hotels etc. The location is more central and may attract a lot of venders from all over the states. Just my thoughts Jim

Also I had a great chat with Wick at my swap space. Wick, it was very nice to meet you. Jim

Last edited by Midwest Tin; 10-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Actually, if you look at demographics, one-half of the entire US population lives within a 250 mile radius of Lancaster. Now maybe this does not take into account of collector car enthusiasts but it is about as "center" as it probably could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5window View Post
True-but now you have to pay tax even when you order online-keep a record or pay their "estimated" amount based on your income. I don't think it's the tax man, I think it's the cost of stocking and lugging inventory around that makes the companies just bring demos. But still, there is something to be said for being able to hold stuff in your hands, check out the workmanship and talk to the sales people how it fits together. Most of them are still knowledgeable and not some kid who's been a widget expert for 15 minutes-since he/she got fired from the burger line.
I can unequivocally tell you that it IS the 'tax man'. Many of us that are businesses are corporations too. If you as an individual sell in PA, by their law you need to obtain a sales tax sales certificate. That means you are to collect sales tax and file a report on how much you sold.

NOW, ...for us that are corporations in our own State, we now must become a corporation in the state of Pennsylvania, AND we must file quarterly reports with the State(s) we conduct business in. Since every first full week of October many corporations would be conducting business for 1 week, we are forced to comply with PA regs. Therefore the easiest way to avoid all the mountains of paperwork and expenses related to corporate filings, is to not bring merchandise for sale!

As far as mail-order, most states require the purchaser to pay 'use tax' for anything purchased out-of-state but used in the state that you reside. This has been the law for many years but most people do not obey the law in that regard. I personally think it would be a good thing if all items purchased mail order would be taxed for the state by which the purchaser resides. My reasoning it would likely help reinstate the local businessman, and re-emphasize customer service because if someone knows he will pay a less locally than ordering online, it allows the local small businessman to earn a living and serve his own community.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote