Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
fords

Default water in cylinders

The last time I drove my '13 it was after I timed her and she started with little effort. Drove her around and put it in the garage. Came back about three weeks and went to start - but could not not turn the engine over, I pulled on the handle and was able to get the engine to turn over, pulled the plugs and found all four slight rust (water). Poured mystery oil in the cylinders and left it to sit. Will pull head and assess issue.

Last time I timed the engine I torqued the head bolts to be sure correct torque - some were not at 45 ft lbs so they were stepped torqued to 45, meaning 30 -35-40 -45. Not sure why this happened - I thought it to be prudent to always torque head bolts occasionally. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Steve Jelf

Default Re: water in cylinders

I believe the generally accepted head bolt torque is 50 to 55. After you tighten them you drive a bit then torque them again. Repeat until they stay torqued. You didn't mention using a sealer when you installed the gasket. Copper Coat is a good one. It comes in both brush and spray forms. It goes on both sides of the gasket.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Will N

Did you follow the head bolt tightening pattern when you re-torqued it? If it wasn't leaking before you re-torqued it, I might look carefully for a crack in the head when you pull it to assess the issue. By the way, your crankcase oil is likely contaminated too, as the water in the cylinders would have probably leaked past the rings.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
yachtsmanbill

Works every time for me. Lasts from the April fill up till the October drain. ws

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
CharlieB

The devil's in the details as they say so I'll add a few here: Pull the head and clean everything thoroughly checking for cracks. You said more than 1 cyl. was rusty so it's possible it's just a mis-torqued head. Less likely the head is warped but it's possible. Dig out each head bolt hole with an awl and blow them out with compressed air. Stuff gets in there and stops the bolts from tightening fully usually resulting in stripped threads. DON'T fail to do this. I don't know how it gets in there but it can cause real grief. New head bolts and chasing the block threads with a tap is preferred. Use a new gasket & sealer. Follow the tightening chart. There's one in Mac's catalog in the eng. gasket section. Final setting is as Steve says 50/55 lbs. Change the oil. Run the engine until it's hot and let it sit overnight to cool & re-torque again using the chart & the 50/55 Lbs. setting. Re-torque again after about 500 miles. Good Luck.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
redmodelt

Were the spark plugs loose and water got in there? Did you use sealer of any kind (including grease)? A stock engine only needs to be torqued to about 45 on the head bolts. Did you clean the holes out and confirm that the bolts go all the way down WITHOUT the head gasket in place?
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #7
fords

I thank you all for the input. Referencing Torque values - I have been told both values 55 and 45. 2 years ago when I did the top end I torque to 45. I have not been home to remove the head and assess the issue yet. Yes I followed the torque pattern and will review to be sure. The sprk plugs were seated well and pretty sure no water entered at that area.
I think I remember using the new silicon type head gasket and will use the copper type next time. Will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again!
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Works every time for me. Lasts from the April fill up till the October drain. ws

Two eggs?????
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
redmodelt

Note on head gasket; unless the head and block have been surfaced the silicon type may not seal as well as the copper. Drain your oil with the front jacked up so any oil in the dipper tray gets drained. Lower the car and refill with the cheapest oil you can find, run for a while, then drain over night and refill with what ever type you like. I leave the drain plug out when refilling till I see the new clean oil coming out when changing oil.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #10
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Two eggs?????

Well, after 3 generations of Model T'ing, theres certain things you do to keep the juices on the "inside" LOL. I built the speedster 2 years ago and the radiator looked serviceable. Got her running and added some water and there was a water letter outer right in the center of the core.
Being fresh outa horse manure, I did what the book recommended... added 2 raw eggs. Now she holds her water all summer and RARELY needs a touch up. I was also disappointed; the other day I went to the storage barn where I keep her over the winter. Put her away after a 5 mile run (nice and hot) and came back to find about 1/4 to 1/2 a shot glass of oil underneath her too. Looks like a drain plug gasket or oil petcock seeping... my jobs don't usually leak if its my work. ws

Very First Start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sL948Cak2I

Run up to warm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucqfcW1hrTk
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #11
vern0n

yachtsmanbill , how do you get the eggs in the radiator without breaking them?
vern0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Big John

Depends what kind of eggs??????
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
redmodelt

Soak them in vinegar till soft then they slide right in shell and all! Don't waste the vinegar, soak your rusty bolts or small parts in it to get rid of the rust.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #14
nhusa

I put a couple eggs in the radiator of my T and a few days later I heard some squeaking.
When I removed the radiator cap two chicks hopped out.

If I had started the car I would have had chicken soup to go along with my manifold roast.

The T certainly is a universal vehicle!
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote