Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
fords

Default Set the timing

I have nasked how to set timing and was very successful -Thanks to aal . I drove around for a three day break and the engine started acting like it was running out of fuel, so while I was rolling I went to battery and all was fine -then back to Mag and it cut off - back to battery fine. When I got home m- I am not able to start car and I am having issue with setting the timing.

Question- when I set the #1 at TDC and just a little past ,remove the timer rod , move the commutator clockwise a little I hear only a BUZZ coming from the coil area - shouldn't I hear coil buzz and see the #1 spark plug fire or spark??

I haven't gotten to the MAG issue yet - but I did take the MAG contact post out to inspect for lint. What I noticed was the contact point on the mag seem worn and was wondering if the pin on the contact post part is making contact. The picture is not my car it is the area of the MAG I talking about.

Last edited by fords; 03-10-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added picture
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Jack Innes

Default Re: Set the timing

Try turning the crank one revolution then check again for spark at the #1 plug. You could be checking it at TDC of the exhaust stroke.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Will N

The coil doesn't buzz on the exhaust stroke and the compression stroke, right? It's just once per cylinder on the compression stroke I'm pretty sure. If you're getting a buzz but no spark at the plug, it could be the coil is bad, most likely a bad condenser.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
nhusa

Check the switch
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
redmodelt

If the coil is buzzing it's not the switch. Swap the coils around. if you still don't get fire at the plug make sure the plug is making good contact with the block if it's out. Then check the plug wire connections and include the ones in the coil box. The plug has to be grounded to fire or you will burn up the windings in the coil.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
fords

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks guys _ i will try it and continue to get it right. Still have question on the MAG issue - any input? Thanks!
fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
CharlieB

Your problem seems to be that the mag quit so why you got involved with re-setting the timing is a question. As to the no-start: if your trying to start on mag I can understand why it won't start. It ran OK on batt until you shut it down right? If so your coils are OK and as Jack said your checking the timing at TDC on the exhaust stroke. The coil buzz you hear is from another cylinders coil operating which is why you don't see a spark at #1. The "companion cylinder is #4. That's the buzzing coil you hear if your 180 deg. out on #1 and that's the one that should be sparking at it's plug. Again: ran on batt Ok till you shut it off now it's a no start. You hear the coils buzzing on batt, it won't go. Do a quick fuel system check. You didn't run out of gas by some chance? Guess why I asked that. Or maybe you shut off a now forgotten fuel valve? If it ran it should start unless some thing like fuel or some thing you changed is interfering with it. The mag business can only be checked out once it's running again. You've done the first thing already. Of course it must be clean and making contact so you may have (hopefully) corrected your mag problem by checking/cleaning the post.

Last edited by CharlieB; 03-11-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: more info
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
FRANK PKNY

lets make sure your on battery! when trying to hand crank a n listing for a buz make doubly sure you have the spark lever retarded also. If you get a buzz on #1 and are getting fuel it should start, if not further digging into other problems will be necessary.