Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
fordcragar

Default Fender repair fixture

I'm looking for some ideas for building a fixture to hold a Model A fender (front and back; which could be different fixtures) while it is being repaired. I'd think that over the years there have been some nice ones made.

I didn't want to steal the other thread "Fender Paint Stands", http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
Years ago an article in Restorer magazine had the plans for stands that fit on an engine stand that would work on '28 to '31 fenders. Built up the stands and used them to repair and get prepared for painting.................
After seeing this on the other thread, I did a search for Restorer articles and came up with, Jenkins. Lawrence G., "Fender repair fixture," illus., Mar-Apr 1976 (20-6) p 34-35

What else is out there or what do you have?

fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
28ACoupe

Default Re: Fender repair fixture

When I did the fenders on the coupe, I took a 2x6 and cut a curve to match the frame rails and bolted the fenders to that. I think I may make one out of steel this time.
28ACoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
jw hash

here is some pictures of what I put together years ago the front fender jig is made to rotate and it is set up to handle 28-29 & 30-31 front fender I can install an original front fender bracket when needed or just use the up right shown in the picture. the head unbolts and I have two other jigs for the rear fender one for coupe the other for sedan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013 (2).jpg (30.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 014 (2).jpg (39.7 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 015 (3).jpg (38.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (47.0 KB, 116 views)
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Jim Mason

I try to do as much as possible in situ.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
RockHillWill

Here is a link to the ones that I made. They worked out well. I learned the hard way about trying to restore fenders that are either not on the car or on a fixture with CORRECT dimensions.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/TipsTr...s/Tools03.html

The pictures are on the third row down.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Kevin in NJ

I bought some fenders that looked great. You would have paid premium bucks for them. They were repaired off the frame and were not useable as is. The rear of the fenders were about 8" too low and inside of the running boards. The bead line not even close to lining up with the running board line.

Do you make a jig, well how many fenders do you plan on doing? It is a bit of work to make a good jig. For one car you are better off doing it on the frame after you make it level, flat and with properly positioned running boards.

Here is a link to my comments on fenders

Fender fix'n
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #7
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
here is some pictures of what I put together years ago the front fender jig is made to rotate and it is set up to handle 28-29 & 30-31 front fender I can install an original front fender bracket when needed or just use the up right shown in the picture. the head unbolts and I have two other jigs for the rear fender one for coupe the other for sedan.
Nice simple design. I might like to look at it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Here is a link to the ones that I made. They worked out well. I learned the hard way about trying to restore fenders that are either not on the car or on a fixture with CORRECT dimensions.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/TipsTr...s/Tools03.html

The pictures are on the third row down.
The design of these are nice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
I bought some fenders that looked great. You would have paid premium bucks for them. They were repaired off the frame and were not useable as is. The rear of the fenders were about 8" too low and inside of the running boards. The bead line not even close to lining up with the running board line.

Do you make a jig, well how many fenders do you plan on doing? It is a bit of work to make a good jig. For one car you are better off doing it on the frame after you make it level, flat and with properly positioned running boards.

Here is a link to my comments on fenders

Fender fix'n
Thanks guys for the caution on repairing fenders off of the vehicle; which was a lesson that I learned many years ago. When I was starting out in the autobody trade, I was taught that the alignment and fit was the most important part. After you had that, you could finish the part.

I have a pile of fenders; which I'd like to do something with. The fixture that I'm thinking about building will probably incorporate some of you what you have shown and I'd like to also include station buck information into it as well; which even though more complicated, would save space of two items for each fender. I suppose that with radius gauges and a flexible shape pattern I could get by with a simple fixture.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote