Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Barn Junk

Default Early 1933 Ft Fender Brace Question

I am trying to reweld one brace and construct the other side from scratch for a very early 1933 front fender bracket system and don't have any extra parts to compare to. This arrangement uses two braces (about 12 inches long) that attach to a special ft spring mount with ears and then up to the inner fender panel with a bolt from the ft fender bracket (see pictures).
These two braces are round bar stock with holes at both ends. My question is are these two round braces supposed to be straight? The parts I have are not (see picture for bow) and it seems that for maximum strength they should be straight. Does anyone have a good original example to verify they are straight? Or does the bow in the picture look correct? Maybe it was bowed for clearance? Need to know before welding things up.
Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-154F.JPG (59.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-155F.JPG (62.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-156F.JPG (60.1 KB, 51 views)
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Early 1933 Ft Fender Brace Question

This setup was not exactly one of Ford's better ideas and it was quickly replaced with a simpler, stronger one. According the original engineering drawing, those round braces were straight between the two flared ends.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Barn Junk

Thanks David, for checking your reference info and that helps. I agree this setup is kind of rinky-dink but I like the way it ties the fender and the inner fender together. The eared spring mount is poor. I like retaining some of the differences that Ford used. This car will probably never see the pot-holed, ruff roads from it's past so should do OK. Rich
Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
33 roadster

Hi, Barn Junk The braces on my early 33 are straight. My car has a ser. # in the 209,000 which makes it a early dec. 32 car. My car has later big fender brackets and skirted 33 front fenders. I think it was in a wreck and someone put them on. I think it should have unskirted fenders. I was wondering if the front frame horns on your car look different from later 33. My are cut off and need to weld new metal on. Thanks, Larry

Last edited by 33 roadster; 11-22-2011 at 02:38 AM.
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Barn Junk

Larry, My car has the the shorter front "X" frame inner member with the shorter bumper brackets that only bolted to the outer frame member and usually broke off the end of the frame.
Mine came with the early fender bracket/brace system, curved inner fender panels and skirted fenders. With this early bracket/brace system the inner panels and fenders each had round washers spot-welded where the long 7/16 brace bolt went through so are easy to ID as early. I think that the un-skirted fenders would have been used with the very early "flat" inner fender panels.. Rich
Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
33 roadster

Hi, Rich My 33 also has the narrow engine mounts and the front bumper brackets bolt only on to the outside frame rail, horns cut off. It also has the early front spring mount with the ears and with the braces that bolt to the inner fender panels. The inner panels look like yours. But it has no 7/16 brace bolt to the big fender brackets it has later brackets and skirted fenders. Is your ser. # higher or lower then mine. Are you in Eastern Washington. Thanks, Larry
33 roadster is offline   Reply With Quote