Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #21
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Not enough power??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Just run a heavier gauge wire straight from the battery to the horn. You may need an in line fuse on the wire to protect it. Ford connected it direct to the generator cut out but it would likely get less resistance in the line if it was connected direct to the battery. It should run OK with a 16 gauge wire but it wouldn't hurt to use a larger gauge. You can try it with a heavy gauge jumper set up and see if it turns better.

I wonder about the quality of some of these model A wiring harnesses some times. When the car is running, there may be a loose wire in the terminal box or under the instrument panel causing more of a resistance load than just the ignition system. High resistance with the ground path is just as bad. It doesn't take much for the system to get overloaded with only a 12 to 15-amp generator pulling the load.
I read this post a couple of times to make sure i understood it and when I thought I did I looked up a wiring diagram to confirm and I had an "AHA" moment and the light went on (I can be pretty slow sometimes). It all made sense. When the car is running, it is SUPPOSED to draw power for the horn from the battery until the generator runs fast enough to produce as much or more voltage than the battery then the horn draws from the generator. The way mine was acting, it was drawing only from the generator when the car was running regardless of the output and therefore, wouldn't work at low RPM. Something is not working right in the cutout. So I ran the power wire (14GA) from the horn directly to the started as suggested and the horn works like a champ regardless of whether the car is running or not. Thanks you Rotorwrench for the brief tutorial and suggestion. It would seem that the relay in my generator cutout is not functioning as intended. I don't know what, if any ramifications there are to that other than the horn issue but I'll have to look into that. Thanks again.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:57 PM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

The wire to your cutout should be direct battery voltage,just like hooking it to the starter wire..you probably don't have a cut out issue,the wire or connections are bad.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #23
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
The wire to your cutout should be direct battery voltage,just like hooking it to the starter wire..you probably don't have a cut out issue,the wire or connections are bad.
That is true. Not exactly "direct" from the battery as it goes through the meter and the junction box on it's way to the cutout though. It is entirely possible (probable) that in one of those jumps (cutout to junction box, junction box to meter, meter to battery) there is a weak connection or too small of wire
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote