Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Anyone know where this box came from?

Wondering what this truck box came from?. Don't think they put a truck box on the 1.5 ton trucks and the box looks to big to be from a normal pickup. http://www.2040-cars.com/Ford/Other-...pickup-698252/
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Anyone know where this box came from?

That would be custom built by either modern sources or some older source. I doubt if they made anything like that in the mid 30s. The closest thing would be the custom wrecker bodies that were beginning to show up. Budd made similar special stuff for Ford but not a lot of it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
VeryTangled

rotorwrench seems to be on the right track. From what I see and from reading the description, this bed/box looks like it, and many other things, were made for the vehicle.

Vehicle Description [Emphasis added by me.]

One of the coolest trucks ever enter our inventory! This 1935 Ford pickup. The truck is all steel with the exception of the custom rear fenders. The body is very straight on this truck, not rusty or patched up. The black paint is a few years old with a chip here and there but still very presentable anywhere you go. The truck is sitting on a later model suburban chassis, a Dana 70 dual rear axle was added as well as the truck having a Dana 44 front drive axle also. The 4x4 dually theme is very noticable thanks to the aftermarket 19.5 wheels. The powerplant is an early 70's GM 402 cid Big Block. The engine has alot of grunt, backed by a 4 speed manual transmission and a NP 261 transfer case. The truck runs highway speeds over 70 mph comfortably. It is a proven driver and very roadworthy. This one has aftermarket heat and a new wiring harness also. On the inside the pickup had a new custom leather seat built for the truck to maximise space and comfort. The door panels and headliner are all built from ABS to prevent warpage. The truck has a custom molded carpet set, wipers, turn signals, horn,and the roll out windshield is still in fine working order. The speedometer and other gauges are all in working condition. This truck attracts a crowd everywhere it goes.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Ford made a custom p/up bed for the A in 31, not many, I think it was called an ExPress bed, very similar to what is pictured.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
GB SISSON

The model A version was actually on an AA 1 1/2 ton and started in '28. It's what the Walton's owned. ( I bought an AA a few months after the show first aired). It was called the type 89A Express body. In '30 Ford introduced the 197A Large Open Express body and was designed for the AA- 157" wb chassis. This Long pickup bed was 132" long, 54" wide (same width as my 47 tonner PU) and 16" high. The pics in Wagner's FTS'05 look similar to this truck. By the way, That is one very cool truck. If people need to 'butcher up' old ford trucks, this is the way to do it. Holy Cow, but no price? A good thing, because I might like to retire one day......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote