Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
tintop

Default 34 Rear perch bushings

Howdy all, Does anyone know where I can purchase rear perch bushings for a 34? I used the hacksaw and socket technique to get the old worn ones out. A bit difficult, yes, but they came out. Is there a kit that includes the bushings (shells) , and new pins? I was told that the original pins were wrapped by Ford with some kind of burlap. Also I have been reading different approaches to re-installing the new shells. This is all a first for Me, and if some one in the socal area has the KR Wilson tool for doing this, Im all ears Hopefully someone is reading this and as long as I am writing how many rear leaf springs did Ford use for a coupe? I have 2 sets of rear springs and both have 11 springs total. Well thats it Thank You All and have a great Labor day weekend! sincerly, Joe Aka Tintop
tintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 34 Rear perch bushings

Joblet would have been a source maybe, not sure where their stuff is now. Might try Baxtor Ford also. I'm assuming your looking for NOS bushings. Are you wanting a 100% original car or a functional part? A good riding and functional nylon bushing will just slip in.

Again on the rear spring, are you looking for as it left the factory? I would remove leaves until you get the ride you like. The original number of leaves is a little stiff for my taste, but then again if your looking for authentic it is a different matter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Lawrie

Also strip the springs,clean ,grease and reassemble them,then wrap with denso tape,that will make it ride VEREY nice.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
tintop

Ok, J Seery, Lawrie, all imput from You guys helps! I would not have removed the bushings in the rear perches, except the shackle pins had rubbed through the burlap and gouged the shells, in fact there was even wear into the perch bore on 1 side. Update!! I just came out of the garage and was looking at studs that came out of the rear leaf spring, and the shells mesured 7/8 od. then I mesured the shells that came out of the rear housing perch,, 3/4"od so what Im thinking is that when I buy new shackles WITH steel bushings then these ARE the shells. one side 7/8" and the other 3/4". I tend to over think things alot,,, and if I have answered my own question, then at least I gave You all something to giggle about this weekend Im acually getting a kick out of this myself!!! PS if Im right will someone please tell me and also where would be a good place to but these shackles Thank YOU Tintop

Last edited by tintop; 09-03-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: I looked at my parts once again and think I answered my own question that I posted
tintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #5
Lawrie

yes there are different sizes for the perch and spring,if you don't have a green bible parts book,see if you can get one,they list the sizes and lengths etc by years,they can be confusing,different on the front too.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:34 AM   #6
Mart

I tend to buy the ones from Macs - there may be other suppliers. They come as a kit with a 3/4, a 7/8 and a pair of plates. I did have some issues though, namely the threads were not formed very well and the 7/8 bush was actually 22mm tube, which just slipped right through the spring.
I don't know if these issues have been addressed recently.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #7
34 FORDOR

I have found the repo ones don't last long on a heavy car if it is a driver. Go for nos or use modern nylon ones like the hot rodders use
34 FORDOR is offline   Reply With Quote