Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #1
ODFever

Default 1930 Fordor Town Sedan Front Seat: Need More Leg Room

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times on FB, but I've been unable to find a thread that answers my question. I've used the built-in search function as well as going to Google and typing 'site:fordbarn.com 1930 Model A front seat adjustment' with no success. I also read my owners manual and didn't find an answer.

I am 6'1" tall, 220 lbs, and I take a size 15 wide shoe. I've had multiple surgeries on my left knee. I have problems with it cramping, throbbing, and swelling when it's bent at a sharp angle for extended periods. The pain can be severe, and has awoken me numerous times in the middle of the night. I understand that the front seat has an adjuster, but the previous owner assured me that the seat is already as far back as it will go. Is there any way for me to create more leg room without major modification? All I need is 2 or 3 inches.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Last edited by ODFever; 01-27-2015 at 09:10 PM.
ODFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
armchair67

Default Re: 1930 Fordor Town Sedan Front Seat: Need More Leg Room

Not sure if the Fordor is the same, but if I had that issue on my Tudor (I am 6 feet tall, 185 lbs and theres still room left to go back on the tracks), it looks like one would need to have a longer track made. The track is welded to a crossmember, with the wood floor behind that, so I don't think one could (safely) just relocate the track. I can't see that being a terribly expensive endeavor, though-its a pretty simple design.
armchair67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Tom Elliott

Not sure about 30 fordor but 31 s/w fordor you can move the seat track(rail) back two to three inches. Have to pull the seat out and drill out some rivets in the track and floor pan. However moving the seat back can shorten the distance to get in the back seat.
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

I have a 30 Briggs T.S. and I've done rather extensive work on the seats. I would think that it is possible. At most it would require (I think) new mounting holes in the seat base. Remove the cushions and you will see the holes that attach it to the sliding rails.Go to my album in my profile , "My A". However, When you get the cushion off, make sure the sliding adjustment is not jammed somehow and preventing it from going back the full distance. Good Luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:30 AM   #5
Logan

On my brothers fordoor we took everything that held the seat track in place, out. The adjustment system and everything. Then we took the rails and slid them back i want to say 4-5 inches. Then i tack welded them in place so they wouldnt slide front ways or backways. Its been like that for 2 years and is so much more comfortable to drive. Youre legs and arms are stretched out and youre not hugging the steering wheel. And it still left plenty of room for people in the backseat.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:03 AM   #6
mhsprecher

Here are some prior threads on this subject:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=front+seat

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ght=front+seat
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Gerald1961

We did the same as Terry proposed on our lady, a Murray 4dr sedan. We gained 4 inches. Just unscrew the moveable socket of the front seat cushion from the guiding wood parts and drill new holes. I will add some photos if I can save them but our laptop where they are stored crashed some days ago. Only danger is that the front seat isnīt as stable as before because it will be supported in the middle ( in longitudinal direction) instead of front and end. This leads to higher load to the bolding screws and wood parts.But besides that it will solve your issue.

Regards
Gerald
Gerald1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Barry B./ Ma.

On my early 31 town sedan I gained an inch or so by moving the seat adjuster bracket one set of holes thus using 2 screws vs. the previous 4 to hold in place, worked for me.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
davehc

I'm 6'4" , and had to do the same as most of the comments above , plus I put a offset bend in my shift lever for more knee clearance . When I make a modification like this to something , [ old like this ] , I always try to do it so if there is a next owner , they can always go back to original position , ect. I still have plenty of room in the back .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

I'm 6'2" and when I bought my '30 town Sedan the seat was already moved back ~2-3" so I fit pretty good. Only real problem I have is braking while in first gear, my right leg gets between the steering wheel and the shifter.

In the picture you can see the seat mounting screws protruding thru the sheet metal. It is my understanding that these screws would normally go into the wood cross brace just ahead of them in the picture. The four screws in the center are where the seat adjuster is located.

I suspect this is why the sheet metal floor piece is installed upside down (according to Marco in this thread http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159343) so the floor would be flat inside the cab for the front of the seat to mount to.

Hope that helps...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
30Murray

I'm 6'3" and had the same problem. I removed the seat adjuster completely, allowing the seat to slide back until it hit the floor. That still wasn't enough so I added some 1/4" shims between the seat and the rails (the rails slope back slightly), raising the seat up and allowing it to slide back even more.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #12
ODFever

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate it: