Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
cosmo

Default Clutch issues- Help!!

My 50 flathead V-8 3 speed no overdrive car last year started making a racket when I pushed in the clutch. I had replaced pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing a few years back and had not drove the car alot of miles. It got to the point that I had to shut off the engine to get it in gear. A few weeks ago, I pulled the tranny and replaced the pressure plate, clutch and throwout bearing again. The pressure plate forks had uneven wear on each of the 3 forks for some reason and the throwout bearing seemed to be bad. Yesterday, I drove the car all around town to test and everything seemed good. Today I take it on a road trip, about 50 miles one way. Starts out really good. When I get back to my town,(now 100 miles) the same thing starts happening. Racket-squeeling when I push the clutch in, won't go into gear unless I stop and shut the engine off. Everything was hot at the time (temp gauge was at 205 at the time when things went wrong) Even when everything cooled off, it still won't go into gear. Adjustment of the clutch petal appears to be in spec's. What the heck am I doing wrong!!?? Thanks for any help, Dave
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Fibber Mcgee

Default Re: Clutch issues- Help!!

Just a thought,did you check the pilot bearing when you had it apart?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
APDAVE

Are you sure that the peddle had free play so the throwout bearing wasnt riding on the pressure plate forks?
APDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
cosmo

Had mechanic friend look at pilot bearing before replacing tranny and he said it was good, no need to replace. pedal has around 1"-1 1/4" play before contacting throwout bearing. Dave
Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
APDAVE

I hear that some of the new throw out bearings are faulty (china) . Is your clutch release arm OK ? cracked or bent?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
cosmo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Throwout bearing was marked USA this time. I guess I'm not sure about the arm, nothing looked wrong with it.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
Terry,OH

Not familiar with 50 but if it has the same PP as earlier 35-48 Fords, it is possible the hub for the throwout bearing was damaged. If it was not replaced with the new throwout install, you may have carried over a problem area to the new PP. Make sure the fingers for the new PP touch the face of the throwout bearing and not the front of the hub itself. There seems to be a bunch of PP with fingers that are too long and they do not contact the throwout in the proper location.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Walt Dupont--Me.

The 9-1/2 pressure plates for the 49-53 engine takes a differant thro out bearing than the 35-48 9in. PP. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
STEVE1103

Where is the clutch and pressure plate made, had one from China that worked a short time then went bad, pressure plate fingers were out of wack!
STEVE1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
cosmo

Tonight after work now that everything has cooled off, the tranny did go into gear, but moving it onto my lift it was making a horrible racket the whole time no matter where I pushed the clutch pedal at. I had replaced all 3 things when I put it in. The clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Dave
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
cmbrucew

Could the clutch disk be in backward?

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
cosmo

I don't think the clutch is in backwards because it did work ok for a little while.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
cosmo

Pulled everything apart last night. The pilot bushing looks like it might be out of round but have not measured it yet. Everything else is new and does not appear to have anything wrong with it. Still not sure what the racket was when I drove it onto the lift unless the input shaft was dragging alittle bit still even though it would go into gear. Thanks to all for the responses. I will keep you all updated. Dave
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
APDAVE

Just a thought are your front motor mounts broken allowing the engine to move forward when depressing the clutch?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
alan

through away the pilot bearing and use a bushing-had a similar problem with a 51 Merc--it squeeled and was hard to shift
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #16
1931 flamingo

Are the p/plate fingers even?? Has a cl/disc spring popped out?? Cl disc installed correctly??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
through away the pilot bearing and use a bushing-had a similar problem with a 51 Merc--it squeeled and was hard to shift
I prefer a gold colored bushing(brass?) over the pilot bearing, a tractor company or napa auto parts may have one to match up....good luck
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
jack39nyc

My 39 was making some grinding sounds when I would engage the clutch. I got the car The only thing left was the flywheel. got a new flywheel at speedway car runs great. the old flywheel can off in two pieces. jack
jack39nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
jack39nyc

My 39 was making some grinding sounds when I would engage the clutch. I got the car that way. I replaced clutch plate bearing. Did not change anything. The only thing left was the flywheel. got a new flywheel at speedway car runs great. the old flywheel can off in two pieces. jack
jack39nyc is offline   Reply With Quote