Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default Growling speedometer in 40 Ford

I got the 40 out of winter storage today and took it for a little spin. About 25-30 MPH the speedometer started making a relly loud "growling " noise. Along with that noise the needle started jumping up and down 10-15 mph. This didn't happen all last year driving season.
So I took a look at back of speedometer under the dash. Speedometer cable itself was on tight , no problems there. My question would be , is there a way to lube that speedometer head ? I am more familiar with 50's era vehicles , which have an oiling port just above the snout where the speedo cable plugs in. Not so on this 40 head. Anybody have some experience with this growling sound?
And suggestions on how to remedy?
Thanks,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
fordyford

Default Re: Growling speedometer in 40 Ford

Try lubricating the cable. Pull it out from the top end while wiping it with a cloth to avoid getting anything dirty. After a good inspection slip it back in while passing it through a ball of light grease that you are holding between between thumb and finger of the hand that is holding the top end of the housing.
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
hotcoupe

I would start by lubing the speedometer cable.
Tom
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

>>>needle started jumping up and down 10-15 mph>>>

This suggests cable is binding and releasing, probably inside its own sheath, not inside the speedometer. Maybe too tight a radius happened somewhere between the turtle & head or needs some lube. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #5
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordyford View Post
Try lubricating the cable. Pull it out from the top end while wiping it with a cloth to avoid getting anything dirty. After a good inspection slip it back in while passing it through a ball of light grease that you are holding between between thumb and finger of the hand that is holding the top end of the housing.

This is good advice, and I'll take it a bit farther:
Be aware that there may be broken strands somewhere along the length of the cable, so take care to not get any blood on the cable! If the cable does need replacing, the exact length will be crucial, even a 1/8" too long will bind as before. Also, the speedo head coiuld likely use a cleaning and relubrication, as the grease dries up over the years.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:00 AM   #6
papanick

The speedometer will need serviced when it get dry in side it will start doing that. Then when it gets to bad it will lock up and damage the cable. Let me know if you need it done. papanick. [email protected]
papanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #7
steve fritz

Thanks to all the good advice. Is there a way to get the insides lubed without taking everything out of the dash? Can lube spray or light weight , 3 in 1 oil be applied somehow ? There are two screws retaining a housing where the cable inputs , what happens if I take those two loose ?
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #8
ford38v8

Steve, the housing you speak of, called the turtle, contains a driven gear that itself drives the cable within the sheave. It may be removed from the torque tube which will allow the removal of the cable and sheave from the car to clean and lube. At the back of the speedometer where the cable enters is the large turn nut holding the cable to the speedometer. Follow both ends to their respective retaining clips to remove the complete unit.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #9
fordyford

The cable will NOT come out the lower end at the turtle. it has a collar on the top end. Taking the 2 screws out at the head area will not help. If you need the speedometer head out, there are 5 screws in a rectangular pattern. Remove them and then tip the head as you pull it out from the gauge cluster.
fordyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
supereal

A noise from the speedometer is often caused by a worn speedo case where the cable attaches. The case is made from "pot metal" and does not have a bushing or bearing for the shaft on the rear. This can cause the magnetic disks to collide and become noisy. We send them to Bob's Speedometer for repair.
Their 800 number is 1-800-592-9673. They will examine the unit and give you an estimate of cost to fix it, They have been doing business since 1929. They also do clocks, tachs, gauges, and more.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

This is a vintage snap on speedometer head oiler, has rubber inside and plunger, screwed to speedometer filled with oil and bail released, spring pressure forcing oil into speedometer, its the version that does pretty much every other car than Ford though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2619.jpg (43.0 KB, 41 views)
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:07 AM   #12
glennpm

The oiler looks very similar to a chain saw blade greaser. I wouldn't be pumping too much oil in with it also noting that several of the speedometer gears would not be oiled with this tool.
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #13
Kurt in NJ

It was made as a quick fix for the input shaft squak, the one that happens on cold mornings, only holds a little oil and is not intended for total speedometer lubricating
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #14
mike42

Steve.....

I had this happen once awhile ago. I found out that I either hit something or I hit it myself some how, but the plate that mounts to the frame has a couple of tabs you bend over to secure cable in place. One of those tabs was pinching the cable. I was able to lose it a bit and the speedo worked perfect again. Just a thought !

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote