Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #21
Gene1949

Default Re: '39 Oregon Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I also had a set of perfect 1951 plates for my Ford, but a couple of years ago, I got a letter from the state saying that the number on them had been re-issued and I had to stop using them. To their credit, they also sent a set of "Collector" plates to use at no charge.

Every year I go to the DMV and try to get my '51 Plates re-instated. One of these years, I think the "new" plates are going to be scraped.
That's weird. I would think presenting the car and the registration to the local DMV office would clear up their confusion. I've had my '49 plates for 25 year and never had a problem with state of Oregone.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #22
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
That's weird. I would think presenting the car and the registration to the local DMV office would clear up their confusion. I've had my '49 plates for 25 year and never had a problem with state of Oregone.
I don't see where there is any confusion. In Minnesota, plates are used (I believe) for six years. After that, new plates are issued and the old ones become invalid. The state has obviously been using the same format (three alphabetic followed by 3 numeric) for at least the last 70 years (there is something to say for consistency). Given this, the probability of re-issuing a plate number is absolute.

The concept of YOM plates on old cars is a recent concept, not even considered when the numbering scheme was developed. I have no problem with the state giving precedence to their numbering system over my desire to run a set of plates that under normal circumstances would have been discarded and destroyed over 50 years ago.

The current plate with my number will live out it's 6 year life soon and the number should become available again and I will be able to use my 70 year old plates once more. Luckily, I will only have to endure this 50 year cycle once in my lifetime.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Nice looking car. In Washington it's a 100 dollar fee and no more yearly fees. Similar restrictions, never a problem as I only drive to warm up my oil. We cannot buy new plates with 1940 etc on them, we have to use original plates and they have a catalogue to look at at the DMV to make sure they are the correct color scheme. The 47 WA is the only WA plate that is bare aluminum background with green letters. The DMV told me the numbers were not visible enough from paint wear so I went to a hobby shop nearby and bought some testers and a brush and returned an hour later for a completion. Oh, and we only need a rear, but I like sets because they are cool.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #24
McMimmcs

It looks very cool ! Congratulations.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #25
flathead 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Nice looking car. In Washington it's a 100 dollar fee and no more yearly fees. Similar restrictions, never a problem as I only drive to warm up my oil. We cannot buy new plates with 1940 etc on them, we have to use original plates and they have a catalogue to look at at the DMV to make sure they are the correct color scheme. The 47 WA is the only WA plate that is bare aluminum background with green letters. The DMV told me the numbers were not visible enough from paint wear so I went to a hobby shop nearby and bought some testers and a brush and returned an hour later for a completion. Oh, and we only need a rear, but I like sets because they are cool.

Same in Oregon. I paid $205 for registration & out of state title with no more yearly fees. We also have to use original antique plate which is inspected much like the vin inspection. Only rear plate required.