Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2021, 01:51 AM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default fuel pumps

will a fuel pump from an early Y-block , 239, 256, etc, fit all the other y-block engines, such as the 272, 292, and 312, or are there any differences in pressure and volume output? any information appreciated. Thanks, Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:38 AM   #2
darrell

Default Re: fuel pumps

no 54 pumps will fit.if you have a 55 239 0r 256 truck engine they fit but no 54.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
dmsfrr

A '54 fuel pump apparently has a different style actuating arm. Shown in photo # 1
The other two are '55+ examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '54 fuel pump.jpg (29.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (39.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump, glass filter.jpg (51.2 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-26-2021 at 04:15 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
55blacktie

FE pumps fit as well.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
mercman from oz

1955 onwards Fuel Pumps - posted by dmsfrr
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #6
Daves55Sedan

The 1954 car 239 y-block pump will not fit later Y-blocks. Notice how much smaller the timing chain casting is. It has a smaller arm.
You should be able to use a 1954/1955 TRUCK 239 fuel pump in a later Y-block (272/292/312). The fuel pumps for these engines are interchangable.
The new fuel pumps offered by most of the repro parts suppliers have a higher output pressure than did the OEM pump, but I have never seen the need to put in a regulator to hold back the pressure going into a Ford EBU, Holley 2100 or Holley 2110, ECG, bugsprayer type carbs ('54 thru '56) and you probably don't need a regulator for the '57 and later carb designs either.
However, the new pumps for the 215/223 I block 6 will overflow a Holley 1904 one-bbl carb immediately. One must use a regulator (which won't last long), or install a fuel bypass line back to the gas tank.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
Daves55Sedan

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the '54 car 239 pump installs.....what we would think of as upside down, if I'm not confused with another engine.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #8
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the '54 car 239 pump installs.....what we would think of as upside down, if I'm not confused with another engine.
Yes, I know on the '54 Mercury 256, the fuel pump has the vacuum pump on the bottom, and glass bowl on the top. The opposite of later Y-Blocks.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
Crankster

Quote:
The new fuel pumps offered by most of the repro parts suppliers have a higher output pressure than did the OEM pump, but I have never seen the need to put in a regulator to hold back the pressure going into a Ford EBU, Holley 2100 or Holley 2110, ECG, bugsprayer type carbs ('54 thru '56) and you probably don't need a regulator for the '57 and later carb designs.
I don't believe they should be selling stock fuel pumps out of specification to begin with, and then requiring the end user to spend more money to throttle it back with a regulator.

The FE style reproduction I bought from Mac's pushed over 8 psi, I never installed it until a couple years after I bought it, or I would have sent it back. Almost twice the pressure spec.

That's way too much pressure for a 2100 for sure, the only way the fuel height spec could be achieved was setting the float all the way down as far as it could go. That ain't right, and seems like a great way to eventually cause severe flooding, or worse. A Mechanic's vacuum gauge will test fuel pump pressure output very quickly and easily.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Alaska Jim

Thanks for the information guys, I am going to try and attach a photo of the pump I have. I am looking for another one. I see one listed on ebay as being for a 256 truck. and it looks like the one I have. the one I have was on a 272 eng. when I bought the car, but it has failed and I am looking for a replacement. I am aware that the FE pumps fit, and I have been using one for a few years with no problems, but now all of a sudden I am having fuel pressure problems. even with a regulator. I have tried different float levels, new floats, different types of needles and seats, new holley low pressure regulator, new pressure gauge, new FE fuel pump. I have tested the fuel pump , and it puts out 7 psi while cranking the eng. ( the FE pump) volume is also good. I have set the fuel pressure down as low as 1.5 psi. the eng runs good carbs work well, until I shut of the eng. then the carbs start flooding out the venturi's. most of the time it is the front carb that floods but the others also occasionally will also flood. the fuel pressure gauge actually shows an increase in pressure even with the eng. shut off. I have even installed insulator spacers between the carb and intake. the heat crossover is plugged. I thought if I could find a fuel pump that is like the original , it may cure my problem. my eng. is a 272 with an edelbrock 3x2 set up the end carbs are 8BA "94"'s and the center carb is an egc 6. this set up ran well with an offenhouser manifold, and all the problems started when I changed manifolds. I think that is just a coincidence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.jpg (42.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:30 PM   #11
Alaska Jim

link to the pump on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33406092464...uid=d9c11f56aa
Old 10-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
I don't believe they should be selling stock fuel pumps out of specification to begin with, and then requiring the end user to spend more money to throttle it back with a regulator.
But they are and there's nothing you can do but buy the repro. Same thing goes for the substandard repro electrical components china is producing with zero quality control. There is simply no competition. It is a monopoly.

Quote:
The FE style reproduction I bought from Mac's pushed over 8 psi.
The pump for the FE is the exact same pump for the Y-block. Last I saw them advertised as having a max output of 7 psi, but that is way higher than the OEM pump output.

Quote:
That's way too much pressure for a 2100 for sure, the only way the fuel height spec could be achieved was setting the float all the way down as far as it could go.
It's hard to believe that works unless you are gunning the engine to keep up with the incoming amount of gas. Regardless of where the float is set, the incoming fuel pressure will overwhelm the float, submerging it and causing engine flooding within seconds after starting the engine.
Thankfully my old style ('54 thru '56) Load-o-matic bug-sprayer carbs do actually handle the higher pressure without a regulator.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

Alaska Jim. If you are sure your engine is a 272, then any Y-block 272/292/312 and FE fuel pump will fit properly in the timing chain casting and operate as normal (except it will have excess pressure due to the design of the repro pump.
The 8BA carbs were used at the tail end of the flathead era ('52, '53)? But those should not have a problem with the extra pressure as they are very similar to the later Ford EBU and Holley 2100/Holley 2110, ECG series carbs (1954 thru 1956).
I would think that having 3 x 2 intake would also help to curtail some of the extra pressure you shouldn't need from a pump delivering 7psi.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
Alaska Jim

Daves55Sedan, do you think that the pump in the link will work on a 272? It is advertised as being for a 1955 truck 256, but it looks identical to the pump that failed that was on my car when I bought it. I am sure my engine is a 272 by all the casting #'s and letters. It does have C1TE heads and timing cover on it though. It is the engine in my avatar
Old 10-27-2021, 09:10 PM   #15
Crankster

Quote:
It's hard to believe that works unless you are gunning the engine to keep up with the incoming amount of gas. Regardless of where the float is set, the incoming fuel pressure will overwhelm the float, submerging it and causing engine flooding within seconds after starting the engine.
Well it "works" fine, up until it doesn't, I expect. The only thing preventing the situation you describe, is the tiny viton tipped needle and seat. I've wondered if some of the car fires that pop up on various forums are a direct result of these defective fuel pumps.

Correct fuel pressure & volume is really important to setting up a carbureted engine. Regardless of manufacturer, always check fuel pump output pressure & volume for correct specification at installation and during Tune-Up.

Last edited by Crankster; 10-29-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Daves55Sedan, do you think that the pump in the link will work on a 272? It is advertised as being for a 1955 truck 256, but it looks identical to the pump that failed that was on my car when I bought it. I am sure my engine is a 272 by all the casting #'s and letters. It does have C1TE heads and timing cover on it though. It is the engine in my avatar
Just by looking at your engine in the enlarged photos in your profile I can tell that it is a of the 272/292 variety and may have early '60's 292 heads. But the timing cover is a 272/292 casting.
Looking at the photos in dmssfr's post, the first picture is for a 239 car Y-block. It will not fit your engine. The 2nd and 3rd photos are for a 272/292/312/FE engine and those two pumps are really the same, both having the dual-action feature (fuel/vacuum), but the third picture shows the pump with the integral fuel filter at the bottom. Either of these pumps (in the 2nd & 3rd photos) will fit your application.
It is likely the supplier will offer you the one in the 2nd photo. In most recent times, the pumps with the integral fuel filter have only been available for the 223 I-block 6-cyl engine of the same era.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Alaska Jim

Thanks to all of you for your help and information, it gives me more to go on in my efforts to straighten out my fuel system. Thank you all.-- Jim
Old 10-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #18
paul2748

If you have an old U.S.A (or Canadian and maybe Mexican) made pump that has gone bad, they can be rebuilt. There are a number of reputable rebuilder's out there.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
Crankster

I'll probably jinx myself for saying this, but I got tired of crappy aftermarket pumps and bought an NOS (Carter) fuel pump w/ glass bowl & filter for my Y. Output pressure 5 psi, go figure. The old school pumps aren't supposed to play well with modern gasoline, but it has worked well for several years now. If or when it goes bad there are a few rebuilders out there.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #20
dmsfrr

Deleted
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote