Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Flyboy1st

Default 1929 Cowl Panels

Has anybody replaced the side cowl sheet metal panels on 1929 cowling? My coupe has a line of rust about 2"above the bottom of the cowl sheet metal.
Flyboy1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
jwmckenzie

Default Re: 1929 Cowl Panels

Yes, this is not uncommon. You can replace the whole panel or just the bottom. My preference is to just replace what is rusted out. If you just go this route you will need welding skills to attach the new metal to the old.

If you replace the whole panel you will have to deal with spot welds on the firewall.

All reproduction panels will require some work to fit to your cowl.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #3
Flyboy1st

Anybody have pictures of what they did with the replacement of the panels and what was needed in addition to the external panel replacement?
Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
jwmckenzie

I have done it but don't have the pics. Here is a link to B. Terry Restorations. "BRENT in 10-uh-C"

http://model-a-ford.com/proj_12.shtml

Take a look a pic 16.

The panel bolts to the cowl post and to the bottom of the gas tank. The front is spot welded to the Firewall. There are welds along the bottom to the subframe, but prolly rusted off at this point. Once you get the rusted panel out you will have to determine what else might be needed. There is a triangle piece that goes from the subframe to the cowl post, that piece is inside the panel, and is spot welded to the panel where it bolts to the cowl post, IIRC. Then the subframe itself might need attention.

Do you have pics of your rusted out area.

I have some pics of a repair on a '30 Cowl, not quite the same but....

You will have to PM me with an e-mail to get those pics.

Last edited by jwmckenzie; 11-14-2019 at 12:35 PM.
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
tmiller6

On my '28 Sport Coupe there were 9 spot welds holding the piece to the dash. Additionally it is bolted to the tank and cowl post. I had rust on the bottom of the passenger side and considered using a patch panel before tearing into it.

I found an original piece to replace the cowl panel because I didn't think the reproduction had the same compound surfaces and I decided not to use a partial panel since the sub rail also needed repair. The new original cowl panel arrived with part of the sub rail bracket still attached. There is one rivet on the cowl post side and three on the bottom. I only found evidence of six spot welds on the firewall side.

I purchased the sub rail ends from our suppliers. They are riveted together upon installation. If you look closely at the original cowl panel, you can see a race track shaped boss with the remnants of the two rivets. The new parts photographed on the canvas are for the drivers side of this car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS parts rail end.jpg (33.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 9 spot welds.jpg (32.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg western part.jpg (35.1 KB, 59 views)
tmiller6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Flyboy1st

Thanks for all of responses, the photos are really helpful. Anyone else have photos of replacing the side cowl panels. I looks like the repos are not real popular with most repairs.