Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
flatheadkid1

Default I.D. these big truck spindles

Can someone positively identify the year of these early Ford big truck spindles? I thought they were 32's but I found out the hard way that 32's have removable steering arms. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2574.jpg (73.4 KB, 51 views)
flatheadkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: I.D. these big truck spindles

Can't positively identify but the parts book shows 30-36 with removable
arms and 36 to about 38 with built in arms and after that with removable
arms again.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
expavr

Attached are photos of the spindles on my 40 Tonner. They are one piece and look to be somewhat beefier than the one in your photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck1.jpg (66.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg truck2.jpg (35.2 KB, 14 views)
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Fordors

I don't have an answer for you, but last year at the Milwaukee Mile I attended the Miller Meet where the feature is Miller, Offenhauser, and other early race cars. I photographed spindles like that on more than one old '40's racer because the six bolt mounting pattern struck me as odd. I questioned some of the car owners about them but no one had a clue as to the original application. Were the two extra holes and spot faces added by car builders?
Looks like the bushings have a very thick wall so that a regular .813 diameter Ford king pin could be used, rather than a 1 ton (greater diameter) truck king pin, is that the case? I'm not sure what the nub with the pointed end on the steering arm is, possibly a secondary steering stop that contacts the axle, or maybe big truck stuff did not use the same steering stop as passenger car? I Guess I have more questions than answers, but hopefully this will trigger a memory for somebody.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
flatheadkid1

Fordors
This spindle is off of a early race car once owned by Mark Dees. It has been modified to use large radial thrust ball bearings inside splined hubs for Rudge wire wheels. They have been bushed down for early ford axles. The guy who I got them from said the spindles were early ford 1 ton truck. I have a pair of 32-34BB spindles and they are the same except for the bolt on steering arms. The reason I am looking for another pair is because I believe that the spindle nose was further shortened at a later date and now there isn't enough thread to attach the spindle bolt. I am very interested in seeing the pictures of the cars at the miller meet that wear the same spindles.
flatheadkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Fordors

Here's a photo of a Kurtis-Kraft KK 2000 from 1948 showing six holes to mount a backing plate or caliper bracket to a spindle. Frank Kurtis may have been the one to modify your spindle.