Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
lotsagas4u

Default 1931 wide bed

Hello, ran across a pickup last weekend, noticed that it had NO rear shocks. It has the lower ball, but no shocks/arms. Anyone have a good pix of their rear shocks? I did find a couple of holes, sure is close to bed bottom. Thanks for looking? Where can I find a good pair also?.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
Sunny the Model A

Default Re: 1931 wide bed

Is it a car based pickup or a AA? BTW, what color is that truck? is it an indented firewall? I have a 31 indented firewall budd body wide bed in bronson yellow. there are only three identical trucks in the world as far as I know, so... The shocks are the same as the cars and are located in the same location as the cars as far as I know. My truck is running car lever shocks in the back and they work fine. The spring and the rear end ratio is pretty much the only difference back there than the cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931-ford-model-a (1).jpg (96.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg 1931-ford-model-a.jpg (90.8 KB, 244 views)
Sunny the Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
mercman from oz

Great shots of the rear end of a Model A Ford Pick-Up.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny the Model A View Post
Is it a car based pickup or a AA? BTW, what color is that truck? is it an indented firewall? I have a 31 indented firewall budd body wide bed in bronson yellow. there are only three identical trucks in the world as far as I know, so... The shocks are the same as the cars and are located in the same location as the cars as far as I know. My truck is running car lever shocks in the back and they work fine. The spring and the rear end ratio is pretty much the only difference back there than the cars.
How did you determine that there are only three identical trucks in the world?
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
Sunny the Model A

I checked the ford records for the exact features that my truck had, and I asked the mafca judges. They both came back as only 10 identical trucks were made. and of the 10 trucks, only three are known to exist. My truck won the AACA senior award in 2006, so my truck is documented in the mafca system. There might be another truck out there, I sure hope so, for "Sunny's" sake.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #6
Bob Johnson

Sunny,
What are the features on your truck that determine that there were only 10 identical trucks made? As far as I know there were no records kept as to how many truck were paint which color.
Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #7
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny the Model A View Post
I checked the ford records for the exact features that my truck had, and I asked the mafca judges. They both came back as only 10 identical trucks were made. and of the 10 trucks, only three are known to exist. My truck won the AACA senior award in 2006, so my truck is documented in the mafca system. There might be another truck out there, I sure hope so, for "Sunny's" sake.

Are you sure your not thinking of the 66A Deluxe Pickup. I don't see
anything particularly rare about a Bud cab wide bed.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
Sunny the Model A

it is a 31 82b budd body all steel 78b wide bed indented firewall in bronson yellow, with a brown interior, and the industrial black trim. I was told only ten identical trucks with every option that my truck has, were made according to the mafca official I was talking too after I bought the truck. I am referring to trucks made with indented firewalls, mine was one of the last ones off the line. that is what I am referring to, with all the exact options, only ten exact trucks were made. That is what I was told. I am just going on the word of the ford records and the mafca guy who lives near me.

Last edited by Sunny the Model A; 10-12-2021 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammar error,
Old 10-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Sunny the Model A

Thanks, but I didn't take those pictures, those are the pics from the place I bought the truck from: GR Auto Gallery. I downloaded all the pictures from the ad and use them when i refer to my truck
Old 10-10-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
lotsagas4u

Truck is red/black fenders, not a AA, has indented firewall.

Thank you for the pix, guess ill start looking for some shocks.
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
Sunny the Model A

red was more common than yellow, if you are looking for shocks, I would recommend Mikes a'ford'able shocks, they are $259 each
Old 10-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #12
Keith True

That kind of puzzled me too,until I read Bobs idea.I know of four late 31 wide bed,Budd cab trucks within 10 miles of me.One was in my yard today,he was on his way to store it for the winter.What are the Ford records you looked at to get your info?
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #13
Bob Johnson

1931 Deluxe Pickup total was 297 units built.

The only body style that had a production total of 10 was the 1931 Traveler's Wagon.

Bob
Old 10-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #14
Keith True

All A's had the indented firewall after April-May of 31.The wide bed started around June,and the steel top Budd cab came in August.Your truck should have black painted headlights,painted cowl band,and black painted steel radiator shell,not stainless.Vehicles were not 'optioned'back then as we know it now.I have never heard of records for color and equipment options on the A.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #15
Bob Johnson

I have copies of the original Ford production figures. They do not contain any information regarding the paint colors of any vehicles. In fact there is no information on any options for any vehicles. As for the 1931 pickups, there is no breakdown for wide bed, Budd cab or indented firewall. If that information does exist I would be very interested in seeing it.

Bob
Old 10-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #16
WTSHNN

Sunny,

As a fellow Budd Cab Steel Top owner I know they are cool trucks and are certainly conversation pieces. Years ago I had one "official" tell me that there was never a steel top Model A and mine must be a conversion done in the 70's. Even when shown evidence that he was wrong he was adamant he was right.

Like others have said, there are no detailed production records that survive today that could break something down to that level of detail. I assure you that people have dug for it, as such there is no way to know how many trucks (or really any Model A) were painted any color originally.

The steel top was introduced in August of '31 and went into production in September. A total of 31,461 pickup trucks were made in 1931 and though we can't break that down to how many were produced in the steel top, if you figure 2,621 were made each month that means at least 10,487 were made in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec.

Regardless of how many there are you still have a truck that isn't all that common and you should be proud to drive and show it.

-Tim

“None of our men are 'experts.' We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job."
-Henry Ford
Old 10-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
Sunny the Model A

I was doubtful that the info was accurate, and you are right, it is a conversation piece. My truck was built in Dearborn, and I bought it in Grand Rapids, me and my family drove all the way up from Charleston SC to see the truck. It was the first Model A that Have ever ridden in or driven. I love that truck and am planning on dailying it. I registered and insured it as a daily, and am adding a few upgrades to make it more reliable. I am adding a Brassworks 11fpi pressure radiator, a mitchell 36% overdrive, an oil filter, and a second taillight.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #18
CarlG

I have the all steel Budd cab with the indented firewall. However, it has the short bed. No information that I could obtain would point this to be other than as it came from the assembly plant in Los Angeles (or wherever it was in Southern California at the time)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote