Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
Elpasorabo

Default Transmission ID

I have a transmission out of a 57+ Ford that I need help identifying. Most people just refer to them as old Ford 3 speeds. Anyway the casing number on the main body is AF-7006-D. The case side cover has AB-7222 on it and the Tail casing has AB-7651-A on it. Bottom line is I need a new 17 tooth input shaft and I can't really identify what I am buying it for..... Anybody know of a transmission expert that might be able to help me?
Elpasorabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
Dobie Gillis

Default Re: Transmission ID

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

Ford transmission guru.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
Mac VP

If you need parts for this transmission we should be able to help you. Since you’re not sure if it’s a 1957 specifically, get us a little more information. Tooth count on the cluster gear, spline count on that input shaft, diameter of the countershaft (either 3/4” or about 7/8”). We probably have that gear, and we should have all the usual rebuild parts.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
cvicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpasorabo View Post
I have a transmission out of a 57+ Ford that I need help identifying. Most people just refer to them as old Ford 3 speeds. Anyway the casing number on the main body is AF-7006-D. The case side cover has AB-7222 on it and the Tail casing has AB-7651-A on it. Bottom line is I need a new 17 tooth input shaft and I can't really identify what I am buying it for..... Anybody know of a transmission expert that might be able to help me?
i have same in my 55 crown AB-7222-B and AB-7651-A it seems to be leaking from the front shaft but its hard to tell with clutch and flywheel draft
let me know what you find out
cvicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
For further reference, Ford used three different types of manual 3-speeds in the 50s. The old Ford type from 1949 thu 1954 or so and the later 259 series are a lot alike and have a rectangular shaped side cover. The T85 was the heavy duty type with the curved lower edge on the side cover. The T86 series is known as the top loader with a top mounted gear cover plate and side shift arms in the case.

Most were available with or without overdrive but overdrives have special cases to allow for that. The Ford types were light duty. The T85 types were heavy duty and used behind higher horse power applications. The T86 design was also a light duty but is a newer design that later evolved into the heavier duty 4-speed types that came out in the 60s.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote