Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #61
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post

Well, the new master has internal residual valve for the rear, but no proportioning valve in the system.

I have a 9" rear out of a '59 Galaxie which has smaller brake shoes than the original Cougar shoes. I get on the brakes fairly hard after a 110 MPH run down the strip and braking action feels fine; no tendency to swap ends.
How did the car come through, with a SB or FE? It had KH 4 PISTON DISC on the front? 8" rear assy?

If the rear shoes are smaller (you would have to cipher swept area) it may explain the not needing a PPV. It is not supplying the braking force as OEM design. Is this a strip or street/strip car?

But then again, you have never had to dynamite the brakes if someone runs a red light in front of you on a slick road surface ...

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #62
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
How did the car come through, with a SB or FE? It had KH 4 PISTON DISC on the front? 8" rear assy?

If the rear shoes are smaller (you would have to cipher swept area) it may explain the not needing a PPV. It is not supplying the braking force as OEM design. Is this a strip or street/strip car?

But then again, you have never had to dynamite the brakes if someone runs a red light in front of you on a slick road surface ...
It's still the original 289 (well, the crank and block are). The calipers are the 4 piston and the original rear was the 8". Currently it's only run at the strip. And true, I haven't made a panic stop on a slick road. it could get hairy, especially with drag radials with minimal tread (they are DOT legal for use on public roads!).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #63
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

THANX! for the info, appreciate it.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 04-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #64
KULTULZ

Post Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

The period DUAL RESERVOIR MC(s) you want are 1967-1973 FORD INTERMEDIATE (FAIRLANE-MUSTANG)
CORRECTION - It seems FORD deleted the RPV in their MC after the 1971 model run.

Quote:
DRUM/DRUM and DISC/DRUM are included for availability I had the chart (from the 1965/1972 MPC), that shows application, manual/power and bore size. The text would also include info regarding the valving used in the period.

I have a current computer problem(s) and will post that info as soon as I can.

If you buy a current production replacement MC, it will most likely not have the RPV(s) in the outlet circuits. You will have to plumb inline valves.

Below are the chart(s) for the 1967-1971 dual reservoir MC (application and bore size) (FAIRLANE - MUSTANG). They originally came with the RPV(s) installed. The valves were not available from FORD separately for service but were included in their MC overhaul kits.

Any current new service replacement (or possibly rebuild) will most likely not have this valve(s) installed.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #65
1oldtimer

Default Re: Dual chamber master cylinder for drum brakes

Jumping in late. Use something size to original and use 2 #10 res valves (I use SSSB, since Wilwood and others leak), after you check and make sure new master has no residual valves inside. My '47 I used a mid/late 60's Chrysler with a home made mount and pushrod extension (use stock rod) and my '28 had a late 60's AMC/Jeep master with home made adapter. The '47 had a 1 1/16 Bore and the new master has a 1" bore, all other parts are stock.
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote