Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #1
ericr

Default Question About Inconsistent Horn Performance

I know there could be multiple reasons but what is going on when a horn on one car can go full-throated with the car not running, but another car needs the
engine running to hit the high notes? And assume that both cars are basically the same in most respects mechanically/electrically/degree of restoration.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: Question About Inconsistent Horn Performance

Original diaphragm or reproduced diaphragm ?
Old 01-29-2021, 11:38 PM   #3
J Franklin

It comes down to any differences in the horn, or the path of power and ground if all else is the same.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Try this. Back off on the adjustment screw and hold the horn button down for about 20 seconds. Let that motor run. It’s a motor, it wants to run. While in use, it only runs for a second at a time. Adjust it back and see if this helps.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:48 AM   #5
McMimmcs

I had an aoogha problem on 3 of my vehicles, every one was a buildup of residue ( dirt ) over the years. They were filthy inside and likely never had been cleaned. I systematically disassembled with photos of each one, took my time cleaning and reassembled to what sounds like a new horn !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
ericr

do you guys think there is any role for that spray electronic cleaner?

as regards the status of the internal parts brought up, I'm not sure about that. I got CRS....Can't Remember xxxx.

I do think one mistake I've made over the years is to over-lubricate the felt pads inside the horn.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I know there could be multiple reasons but what is going on when a horn on one car can go full-throated with the car not running, but another car needs the
engine running to hit the high notes? And assume that both cars are basically the same in most respects mechanically/electrically/degree of restoration.
This could either be mechanical (e.g., too much pressure on the diaphragm, high resistance to turning the armature due to dry bushings) or electrical (incomplete or high resistance electrical path). I've had both. On one horn I pulled it apart and found one brush spring had compressed so far that it was not pushing the brush against the armature. I pulled it out and it worked fine while I waited for a new set of springs to come in.

Just the joy of working on mechanical devices approaching a century old.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
ericr

thanks gang...should I assume that the horn should sound properly with the engine off?
Old 01-31-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
thanks gang...should I assume that the horn should sound properly with the engine off?
The generator produces a higher voltage to charge the battery, so the horn will spin faster and have a slightly higher pitch with the engine running. If the horn is very weak with only battery, check connections between battery and generator.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
JBill

My horn never worked very well until I changed to an alternator. I probably could have tinkered with the generator to improve its performance, but I'm not that well-versed with electrical stuff so I took the path of least resistance! Lights work better too with the alternator.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
Bill G

As was mentioned in two of the previous posts, the electrical path both within the horn and external connections needs to be considered. Don't overlook the fact that the horn button itself is part of the electrical path. It is an electrical switch. Its contacts after 90 years may be dirty or pitted. The electrical path of the horn first has a yellow wire that connects directly to the generator [or alternator], and that wire is always hot. The blue/yellow wire is the path to ground which goes through the horn button on its way to ground. If you take a jumper wire and go from the blue/yellow wire contact on the horn to ground and it should blow the horn. If it blows better by using the jumper than the horn button, then that tells you that the horn button may be your problem.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
My horn never worked very well until I changed to an alternator. I probably could have tinkered with the generator to improve its performance, but I'm not that well-versed with electrical stuff so I took the path of least resistance! Lights work better too with the alternator.
actually, changing to an alternator that has been created via an original generator has been one of the happiest things I've done.