Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Hoop

Default One of the nicest car shows ...

... I've ever attended, and it has been right under my nose.

Imagine having a car show with a $20 registration for the show cars then providing everything else ... FREE.

Free food, raffles, a great playland for the kids. Free food means burgers, dogs, pizza, BBQ ... MOE'S SW GRILL burritos(served by Moe's) ... free drinks.

For everyone! Not just for car owners, for the entire crowd that got into the show FREE.

The site was the Fruit Cove Baptist Church just south of Jacksonville in an area known as St. Johns. This is a modern, obviously well-run, church/school that extends this surprising welcome ... "eat all you want. Enjoy the show" ... in a friendly, beautiful environment. And this is their 11th year doing it.

The cars were the usual assortment that make up a decent show ranging from a '14 White, Healeys, Corvettes, rods, cruisers, muscles, vintage VWs and plenty enough to keep you walking a while.

My wife and I left amazed at how pleasant a show can be ... and not believing someone could put on such a high quality local event with an obviously thin budget. Having been involved in numerous national shows, we were impressed.

Obviously they wouldn't mind everyone coming back tomorrow for worship ... good plan.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Ross F-1

Default Re: One of the nicest car shows ...

That sounds just about ideal!
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Hoop

I received the following PM:

"the part i don't understand is: why would the car owners want to pay $20 to bring their cars there to provide "free" entertainment for the spectators?"

Fair question if anyone on the board has an answer.

(By the way, all the car owners seemed very happy to be there, nobody was complaining, and there were lots of prizes ... including a new crate engine of some sort. While it's true the spectators do get a heck of a great show, the car owners are not getting shortchanged by much ... lunch for two at McDonalds can easily be $15.

Earlier down the board there was a post about building interest in the hobby. Maybe the car owners don't mind putting a few bucks toward that end.

The Fruit Cove Baptist Church certainly is an impressive host ... the car show was obviously not a "fund raiser" ... I wouldn't go too far trying to figure it all out ... just some good folks doing something great for the community.)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Fordors

Well, anyone with an attitude like that is probably the same kind of person that gets PO'ed when a kid walks on his lawn. $20.00 for a day out, with free eats and the chance to win a door prize sounds like enough for me, let alone the opportunity to meet people and interact with them. With any organization providing a great show like that we as a collective group will be better off if he stays home and saves his money.
Years ago I gave up on shows, with the exception of "charity type" events. If it is a fund-raiser for someone in need count me in. In fact many of the events I've been at like that have a 50-50 drawing and I've often seen all the prize money given back. Fellowship, charity, and kindness live and flourish; nevertheless there is one in every crowd that has a different take on life.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
Mike in AZ

sounds like a great deal...pretty amazing....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
proxie35

Yes this sounds like a nice meet. But, I have a question that I have ask
for years & never get an answer. WHY is it, that the people who have
Thousands invested in their cars are expected to PAY & it's FREE to everyone else. If we didn't bring our cars There would me NO SHOW!

Sherrel
proxie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Hoop

"I have a question that I have ask
for years & never get an answer. WHY is it, that the people who have
Thousands invested in their cars are expected to PAY & it's FREE to everyone else. If we didn't bring our cars There would me NO SHOW!"

As I said earlier, that's a fair question. I'll attempt a partial answer.

Almost all the folks who enter their cars in shows do so because they enjoy it. And there is more to IT than simply parking one's car and letting the spectators look at it. Exhibiting their cars, competing for trophies and gathering with other car owners is a separate enjoyment than simply providing a treat for the spectators. There's more than one facet to most car shows.

Some shows are better examples of this than others ... there was a National Model A meet/show in St. Augustine recently. While spectators were a welcomed group, the car owners that registered (paid) and brought their cars did so because they enjoy that activity.

Take Porsche, Corvette, British Sports and many other clubs that put on shows ... the events are primarily for the pleasure and enjoyment of the car owners. And they pay a registration fee.

If you want to see the ultimate example of the show car owners picking up some heavy duty expenses, attend one of the major Concours. Every car is hauled in, many by professional transport from all over the country ... and Europe. Many cars arrive with a "crew" to handle the car. However the owners are the same as those at the Baptist Church, their cars are their hobbies and showing their cars and competing for awards and associating with other owners with the same interests is why they do it.

And pleasing spectators is not always the primary goal. In fact, spectators (and their kids) can be the greatest single threat to a car at a show.

So, maybe that explains part of it, or to play on "If we didn't bring our cars There would me NO SHOW!" ...

What if the "show" depended on the spectators to pick up the tab ... and they didn't show up? The car owners still want to enjoy their hobby and are willing to contribute to make sure it all happens.

Only a partial answer.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
proxie35

Thanks Hoop, I understand what you are saying. I spent 30 years organizing & promoting car shows for local & national clubs. I beleive
the spectors should pay. That's why crusins are so popular, no pay,
no judging, no hassel, just fun. By the way, I've owned, restored &
shown over 50 different cars in the past 47 years. Worked in most
of the southeastern states 34 of those years for AT&T. I have to
do all my restoration work, sure can't afford anyone else. Sherrel
proxie35 is offline   Reply With Quote