Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-24-2021, 07:24 PM   #1
Mike/Nebraska

Default Brake drums

Can anyone tell me who sells new brake drums for a 40 Ford axle backing plates? What backing plates do I need to use buick drums
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #2
Mike/Nebraska

Default Re: Brake drums

Can anyone tell me who sells brake drums for my 40 Ford. Also what backing plates do I use to run Buick brake drums?
Mike/Nebraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #3
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike/Nebraska View Post
Can anyone tell me who sells brake drums for my 40 Ford. Also what backing plates do I use to run Buick brake drums?

You might consider these MT Car Products (Boling Bros.) Buick repro bolt-on drums (bolt-on to stock '40 Ford front hubs after replacing studs). Read description. NOTE: "Krylon32" member on this FordBarn is a dealer and gives members here a 10% discount. GREAT guy to deal with!

Boling Bros. site with info:
http://www.bolingbrothers.com/buick-...m/#description

Gary Mussman
122 Southern Hills • Hebron, NE • 68370.
Phone: 402-749-1932

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
19Fordy

Boling Bros. sells excellent quality replacement 40 Ford drums for use with 40 Ford backing plates.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:36 AM   #5
Tinker

It'd be great if someone desired to make wide fives drums. There would be a lot of people on that bus. Maybe not as cool as "fined" drums.... but racing has adapted them so wide five has a bit of a following.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:38 AM   #6
jrvariel48

I installed the MT Products front brake assembly including the cast drums. It's excellent and installs very easily. Speedway makes a nice aluminum Buick style drum. I asked MT if they fit their set up, but they didn't know. Is anyone running these? Maybe Gary (Krylon32) will jump in.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Buick...4aAoq4EALw_wcB
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

[QUOTE=jrvariel48;1989171]I installed the MT Products front brake assembly including the cast drums. It's excellent and installs very easily. Speedway makes a nice aluminum Buick style drum. I asked MT if they fit their set up, but they didn't know. Is anyone running these? Maybe Gary (Krylon32) will jump in.

Joe....As I'm sure you must be aware by now, the "MT" stuff is not only nice...it's "Top Shelf"! Curious as to why you'd consider the Speedway Buick drums over the "MT" Buick drums. The MT Buicks are obviously engineered to work with the rest of the MT stuff that you already have.

Here's a little bit of info I have garnered in the past. This info came from a survey that a Speedway customer wrote 'somewhere' that I can't remember now, which I came-across in the past three months. A Speedway technician admitted to the customer that their "Lincoln" brake backing plates and hardware was in fact "MT" sourced. The technician also added that their "Lincoln-style" drums were sourced "elsewhere", which I concluded to mean possibly the far side of the Pacific Ocean. I have read first-hand of quite a few people experiencing 'out-of-balance' and 'out-of-round' problems with the Speedway Lincoln-type drums. The price difference might prove the old adage...."Ya get what ya pay for!" Just looking at the two different Lincoln-type drums side by side, there is no comparison.

Along the same lines, the Speedway Buick drums just don't look anything like the quality of MT's Buick drums. From Speedway's own pictures, there are obvious casting flaws (pics below). You couldn't pay me to use those 'cheap', 'Speedy' Buicks. And I would have to imagine that MT Buicks are engineered to work with the rest of the MT line. Check the Boling Bros. site below on the Buick drums, making sure to read the "FULL DESCRIPTION". I assume that you realize "MT" and "Boling Bros." are essentially synonymous. DD

http://www.bolingbrothers.com/buick-...in-brake-drum/

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 02-25-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
jrvariel48

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;1989381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
I installed the MT Products front brake assembly including the cast drums. It's excellent and installs very easily. Speedway makes a nice aluminum Buick style drum. I asked MT if they fit their set up, but they didn't know. Is anyone running these? Maybe Gary (Krylon32) will jump in.

Joe....As I'm sure you must be aware by now, the "MT" stuff is not only nice...it's "Top Shelf"! Curious as to why you'd consider the Speedway Buick drums over the "MT" Buick drums. The MT Buicks are obviously engineered to work with the rest of the MT stuff that you already have.

Here's a little bit of info I have garnered in the past. This info came from a survey that a Speedway customer wrote 'somewhere' that I can't remember now, which I came-across in the past three months. A Speedway technician admitted to the customer that their "Lincoln" brake backing plates and hardware was in fact "MT" sourced. The technician also added that their "Lincoln-style" drums were sourced "elsewhere", which I concluded to mean possibly the far side of the Pacific Ocean. I have read first-hand of quite a few people experiencing 'out-of-balance' and 'out-of-round' problems with the Speedway Lincoln-type drums. The price difference might prove the old adage...."Ya get what ya pay for!" Just looking at the two different Lincoln-type drums side by side, there is no comparison.

Along the same lines, the Speedway Buick drums just don't look anything like the quality of MT's Buick drums. From Speedway's own pictures, there are obvious casting flaws (pics below). You couldn't pay me to use those 'cheap', 'Speedy' Buicks. And I would have to imagine that MT Buicks are engineered to work with the rest of the MT line. Check the Boling Bros. site below on the Buick drums, making sure to read the "FULL DESCRIPTION". I assume that you realize "MT" and "Boling Bros." are essentially synonymous. DD

http://www.bolingbrothers.com/buick-...in-brake-drum/

V8 I was considering anything just asking a question. I saw the picture in this post of what appears to be a cast iron(?) finned drum which I believe is from MT Products. That I'd be interested in. I have their complete set up on my coupe with the plain drums and they function great
Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They better be good at that price!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
Andy

I don’t think the Speedway drums will work. The amount of flange outside the studs is less than Ford used. Stock Ford wheels will not have outside support.Compare the flange on the drum to the flange on the hub.

Last edited by Andy; 02-25-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #11
Krylon32

I know nothing about the Speedway Buick drums but have used some of the MT Buick style drums. I would wait on the plain drums from MT as their quality is much better than Speedways replacement drum. They are currently out of plain drums until late April last time I talked to them. Still giving 10% off all MT products. Krylon32
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I know nothing about the Speedway Buick drums but have used some of the MT Buick style drums. I would wait on the plain drums from MT as their quality is much better than Speedways replacement drum. They are currently out of plain drums until late April last time I talked to them. Still giving 10% off all MT products. Krylon32
Are the above finned drums that are pictured available? Are they a direct fit?
Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
Are the above finned drums that are pictured available? Are they a direct fit?
Thanks
Call Gary and ask! See his number below. DD

Gary Mussman
122 Southern Hills • Hebron, NE • 68370.
Phone: 402-749-1932

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

It sure is nice to have an US-made option for brake drums. They are machined extremely well and a quality product for sure.

I was surprised how much more weight a fully cast drum is compared to a OEM Ford one that has a stamped steel center welded in. It was a significant difference. Not sure it matters, but that's my observation.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
It sure is nice to have an US-made option for brake drums. They are machined extremely well and a quality product for sure.

I was surprised how much more weight a fully cast drum is compared to a OEM Ford one that has a stamped steel center welded in. It was a significant difference. Not sure it matters, but that's my observation.
It matters for unsprung weight, would think that was what Ford had in mind.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
It matters for unsprung weight, would think that was what Ford had in mind.
I did think about that too.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:00 AM   #17
Ray Balukas

JG Brake drum relining does a great job if you want to keep yours. they are on the web. top notch American company.
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #18
Ol' Ron

I've noticed that some people offset the rims to display their beautiful Buick drums. This changes the "King pin inculcation". This puts undue strain on the spindle shaft, and makes the steerig more sensitive to the little bumps in the road. Just an unsafe condition. "Aesthetics can kill"
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I've noticed that some people offset the rims to display their beautiful Buick drums. This changes the "King pin inculcation".

Actually, the "king pin inclination" does NOT change, although offsetting the rims outboard DOES put undue strain on the king pins (among other components) because of the leverage effect. What DOES change with offsetting the rims is the "Scrub Radius".

The scrub radius would essentially be "ideal" when the EXTENDED CENTERLINE of the king pin intersects the CENTER of the tire tread (left to right) at the road surface, as seen below. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-27-2021, 05:32 PM   #20
Tim Ayers

I do believe the Buick-finned type Ford drums are designed to have the fins showing with no wheel offset.

Personally, I can't stand the look of brakes when guys do that. Kind of like having your designer boxers hanging out of your jeans. Tuck that crap back in where it belongs.