Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #21
cadillac512

Default Re: flathead refresh

Even if a .005" oversize piston could be found you'd need to have the cylinders opened up for proper fit since the unworn portion at the bottom would have no clearance. Better at that point to do a proper rebore and fit commonly available oversize pistons. Yes, if taper is minimal you can ream the slight ridge at the top, hone and fit standard rings. Don't forget to closely inspect the ring grooves in the pistons for wear and excessive side clearance...it happens quite often. If all looks good and taper is less than about .007" I've had very good results with new rings, valve job and proper clean up. I've done a lot of engines that way over the years and all ran a long time with no problems.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:11 AM   #22
GB SISSON

I think the presense of this Ford publication should shed some light on the subject at hand. I think the foreward tells the story and I like the last sentence in particular. I have refreshed perhaps 6 of our flatheads using this book as a guide and they have all come out with very satisfactory results. I totally get that this type of 'overhaul' is not for everyone, but it is clearly a viable alternative for the V8er on a budget or just wanting to have some gool ol' fashioned fun with their vintage ford vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford Book 1.jpg (57.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ford Book 2.jpg (48.0 KB, 20 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #23
19Fordy

When rebuilding your engine, one thing will always lead to another.

If you want to rebuild your engine the best way is to remove the engine from the car.
It will be well worth the effort and give you piece of mind knowing there are no chips of metal or valve grinding compound reminging in the engine that could cause massive damage and undo all the work that you did.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #24
19Fordy

When rebuilding your engine, one thing will always lead to another.

If you want to rebuild your engine for best results, the best way is to remove the engine from the car. It's not that difficult and will give you the chance to check the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc.
It will be well worth the effort and give you piece of mind knowing there are no chips of metal or valve grinding compound remaining in the engine that could cause massive damage and undo all the work that you did.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-04-2022 at 01:15 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:46 AM   #25
fifty-one f-1

Hi Demingboy. Another option, Check out my 8BA ready for rebuild with a new merc crank and a new 3/4 cam plus extra's. Listed under swap section "49-53 8BA block tested and machine work done" Reposted today $1500.00 Thanks.
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
fifty-one f-1

Opps, forgot to add plus shipping.
fifty-one f-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #27
GB SISSON

Now that's a rebuild that makes sense....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote