Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
fundytides

Default Noisy Valves

My 31 Roadster has a 29 motor in it that had some work done on it 40-50 years ago:
*Re-babbited mains and rods
*Bored to .125 oversize and installed new pistons and rings
*New timing gears.
I can't remember anything being done to the valves except maybe seating them with a suction cup tool and grinding compound.
The motor was only run a couple of times over the years to move the chassis to different storage spots.
In the past couple of years, I have reassembled the body to the chassis. I then installed a cleaned and sealed gas tank, removed and cleaned the oil pan and changed the oil, cleaned out the carb, etc. In the past few months, I have run the car up and down the road by my house to identify any bugs to be fixed before having the body finished and painted. It starts easy and runs strong and doesn't smoke but has what I would identify as "valve clatter" I loosened the oil pump hole screw in the side of the block to make sure there was oil flowing (there was) so today decided to check valve clearances. No surprise, they ran from .014 to .020, mostly .016 or more cold.
My first question: Is this probably the source of my "valve clatter"? The last time I heard valves this noisy was back in the 1960's when an MG-TD I bought had noisy valves and I discovered someone had plugged the oil line to the head with solder!
Next question: Since this engine obviously had a lot of miles on it, what is my best course of action? My tentative plan would be to replace lifters with adjustable ones (self locking), check valves, springs, guides, etc and replace as needed. Also check cam and bearings. I would be happy to hear any other suggestions from those with more experience/knowledge that I. Is it practical to do this work with motor in the car?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Noisy Valves

Since your lifters are original type my question is, just how noisy are they ? And are the ones with the most clearance exhaust ?

Looser valves are less likely to burn. Ford increased the exhaust lash to .022" on the 'B' cam.

What does a compression or leakage test show ?

Personally I'd just as soon be able to hear them than not.

You might also want to check the lift on each lobe to see how the camshaft is.

Its a considerable amount of work to make changes which ever way you decide to go.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
alexiskai

Replacing the tappets is, to my knowledge, not usually an in-the-car operation since the camshaft and oil pan must be removed. Maybe technically you could do it? I haven't seen anyone claim to have done it.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
John

The tappets can be changed with the block in the car. You are correct that the camshaft and pan along with the radiator and a few other things must be removed. It is easier to remove the head also as that helps when removing and replacing valve springs. The trick is to hold the tappets up when the cam is removed. I have use o-rings and the old fashioned wooden clothing pins to hold the tappets up.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The tappets can be changed with the block in the car. You are correct that the camshaft and pan along with the radiator and a few other things must be removed. It is easier to remove the head also as that helps when removing and replacing valve springs. The trick is to hold the tappets up when the cam is removed. I have use o-rings and the old fashioned wooden clothing pins to hold the tappets up.
I remember now, the usual advice is to do it out of the car so that gravity holds the tappets out of the way. Otherwise you have to use clothespins or such to hold them up while the cam is uninstalled and then reinstalled.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
WHN

I wouldn’t rush into taking things apart.

The engine has been setting for a long time. Valves are most likely sticking or slow. I would start with some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas.

I once found a Model A that had been setting in a barn since the end of WWII. Engine was really noisy. New HD 20W-50 oil and MMO in gas made all the difference within a couple of hundred miles.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
Synchro909

As Patrick L says, I'd rather hear the valves than not and as WHN says, don't rush into takin things apart
I have changed valves, guides and camshaft etc while the engine is in the car but you have to think about your next step. I held the cam followers up with a piece of thread tied under the adjuster, then up through the block and tied off to a head stud. I quickly learned how to tie the thread so it could be easily removed.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:22 PM   #8
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Since your lifters are original type my question is, just how noisy are they ? And are the ones with the most clearance exhaust ?

Looser valves are less likely to burn. Ford increased the exhaust lash to .022" on the 'B' cam.

What does a compression or leakage test show ?

Personally I'd just as soon be able to hear them than not.

You might also want to check the lift on each lobe to see how the camshaft is.

Its a considerable amount of work to make changes which ever way you decide to go.
Patrick,
Clearances, front to rear, are: E1 .018 I1 .014 I2 .016 E2 .018 E3 .020 I3 .015 I4 .016 E4 .018 . Consensus seems to be that this is not too concerning. I think I will hang in there for a while and after the car is finished and I start driving it regularly, see what happens. Maybe with the suggested addition of MMO and a few hundred miles things will improve. I might do a compression test if I can find an adapter for the gauge. This should tell me if valves are sticking?
Old 01-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

To reduce valve clearance you only have remove the headvalve cover and valves. Grind the valve and seat to reduce clearance,grind the valve stem to increase it,all can be done with the engine in the car.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:16 PM   #10
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
To reduce valve clearance you only have remove the headvalve cover and valves. Grind the valve and seat to reduce clearance,grind the valve stem to increase it,all can be done with the engine in the car.
Sounds like a good alternative. Thanks
Old 01-19-2021, 08:27 AM   #11
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
Sounds like a good alternative. Thanks

Thats the way to fix it if you stay original. Depends on camshaft/ lifter condition.

Your lash numbers don't seem bad to me, just one exhaust a tad loose.

But, the head does have to come off.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote