Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
decling

Default Chassis question

My current frame has been chopped up a Valiant front welded on to the point of not worth my time to try and salvage. I am looking at buying a 1938 Ford truck frame to put under my 38 truck. Since the original front of my frame is completely gone I am looking for someone that may have pictures of one they have that shows how it should look. the frame I am looking at has had some modifications but want to make sure something that is able to be fixed. Basically looking from cross member with motor mount forward to where the radiator mounting is.
Image is of my current frame.

Also does anyone sell the cab and bed mounting to frame wood or have drawings to build it?

TIA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201028_174258411.jpg (66.3 KB, 117 views)
decling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Chassis question

Where are you? shipping frames is difficult. Have a '36 in Western Oregon-good donor. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #3
decling

I already have a frame located that is local. It has some cuts on the front supports for the radiator area. I am just looking for pictures of a complete frame front so I know what will need to be done to make it correct before I buy.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Ol' Ron

Wescot has Drawings of most of the old car frams. zi think the 2/2 ton PU is the same as thepassenger car.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

35 to 40 frames are all basically the same with some minor differences and some different hole locations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FrameDiagram1935-40.pdf (55.4 KB, 54 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by decling View Post
My current frame has been chopped up a Valiant front welded on to the point of not worth my time to try and salvage. I am looking at buying a 1938 Ford truck frame to put under my 38 truck. Since the original front of my frame is completely gone I am looking for someone that may have pictures of one they have that shows how it should look. the frame I am looking at has had some modifications but want to make sure something that is able to be fixed. Basically looking from cross member with motor mount forward to where the radiator mounting is.
Image is of my current frame.

Also does anyone sell the cab and bed mounting to frame wood or have drawings to build it?

TIA
Seems to be some confusion as to what truck you have. Is your truck a pickup or a 1.5 ton. Totally different animals frame-wise.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

40 ford auto frame, same as a 1/2 ton pick up, sedan delivery, and panel truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100001.jpg (141.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1100002.jpg (91.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg P1100003.jpg (115.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg P1100004.jpg (104.0 KB, 57 views)
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
decling

Mine is the 1/2 ton.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
decling

On the frame I have located at the very front is a bracket on each side. The brace for the inner/lower fender was mounted to. It looks to have been cut some with a torch. i am wondering if this is how the lower radiator guard mount. Since my truck is different I have nothing to go by for reference. Someone also cut out one of the engine mounts on the cross member, but that is pretty straight forward to repair.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #10
decling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
35 to 40 frames are all basically the same with some minor differences and some different hole locations.

On the frame I am looking to get it appears that the inner pieces just in front of the cross member are cut away some.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #11
Zeke3

I see those gusset/radiator mount pieces come up for sale in the swap meet section or on e-bay frequently. I do notice that the pictures posted only show one hole for the radiator location, my '37 frame has two sets of holes for the radiator.
Zeke3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:22 PM   #12
alanwoodieman

zeke3 your 37 could have had a 60 hp motor, that is why you have two holes. these pieces are not cut, even on the short section of frame that came from a race car. the inner fender attaches to a "Y" bar that attaches to the frame in the depression on the cross member. how about post a picture of what you have rather than tell us what you don't have
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:14 PM   #13
Zeke3

As requested, 1937 chassis photo. The two radiator mounting holes are also shown in the Wescott chassis drawing on the passenger side of the drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065-reduced.jpg (42.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Zeke3; 01-10-2021 at 10:18 PM. Reason: added info.
Zeke3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #14
decling

Zeke3, thanks that is what I was looking for. On the frame I located there is a cut through the center of the 2 forward holes. That can be redone or find a original piece and replace.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #15
38bill

Don't know if this helps but here is a photo of my '38 pickup front end as I started with a IFS install. The frame is stock '38 commercial car. All I have done in this photo is trimmed the bottom of the front crossmember so the rest is still stock at this point.

PS:If you have a 1/2T make sure that you get a "car" or "commercial car" frame and not a "truck" frame. Also earlier frames use different brake hardware so if your using the stock '38 cable brakes you may want to look for a '38 frame that still has the brake parts on it or a '39 with hydro brake parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05162.jpg (54.2 KB, 32 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:49 PM   #16
decling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
Don't know if this helps but here is a photo of my '38 pickup front end as I started with a IFS install. The frame is stock '38 commercial car. All I have done in this photo is trimmed the bottom of the front crossmember so the rest is still stock at this point.

PS:If you have a 1/2T make sure that you get a "car" or "commercial car" frame and not a "truck" frame. Also earlier frames use different brake hardware so if your using the stock '38 cable brakes you may want to look for a '38 frame that still has the brake parts on it or a '39 with hydro brake parts.

The frame is off a 38 1/2 ton truck. I bough some other parts off it before it was completely apart.