Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Mmeader

Default 1951 f1 thermostat questions

Hi folks, I have a few questions.

As per suggested from another thread, I'm changing out the upper pipes from my radiator to flexible hoses. I drained the entire system because I wanted to replace the heater hoses aswell. When I pulled the pipes and small portion of hoses off the thermostat housing I was surprised to see they were both open, I was thinking they would be closed, but both sides were definitely open. Is that how they are supposed to be? I was under the impression they remained closed until heated to temperature then would open. Or is it possible these have slipped down keeping them open?

Also, if need be, I'm going to replace the thermostats, I have both 160 and 180 stats, what is recommended and any particular reason why one over the other? I have new gaskets, should any type of sealant be used along with the gaskets? I have number 2 non hardening g permatex.

Please pardon my ignorance, haven't been much of a auto mechanic in the past. Any help appreciated, thanks

Michael

Mmeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
adileo

Default Re: 1951 f1 thermostat questions

Hi that thermostat doesn’t look like it is sitting in there right. Maybe bad pic but don’t look right. While your at this point I would replace both with 180 stats. The hotter the better as long as you don’t overheat.

I also sent you a pm.

Andy
1952 F1

Last edited by adileo; 12-07-2020 at 11:59 AM.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
tubman

Those don't look right. For what they cost, replace them. Also, be careful when installing them. They sit in a shallow recess in the housings and can easily slip out of place if you're not careful. When that happens and you tighten the housings, they are likely to crack and break. I have always use self-adhesive gaskets I got from NAPA that hold everything in place during assembly.

I agree, if your cooing system is in reasonable shape, go with at least 180 degree thermostats. I personally have never used 195's, but might try them some day.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Ross F-1

NAPA THM 530080 180 deg, have been running them for 15 yrs without any problems, even in 100° weather.

Heed Tubman's advice on fitting them into the housing! I RTV them into the housings before installing on the heads. Not a lot, just a thin coat.

PS many shops sell a Chevy gasket as fitting the flatheads, they only "kind of" do. If there is a lot of material hanging outside, and the bolt holes are slotted, that's them.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
Mmeader

Thankyou everyone, appreciate it!!!
Mmeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
flatford8

Take your housing with you to the parts store and match the gaskets. I always use a little RTV to seal the gaskets and yes make sure their seated properly. I always test them in a can of hot water too. I had plenty of junk new ones ...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote