Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 1946 Mercury Trico Wiper Motor.

NZ Mercury has the 41 American Dash set up. The fitted wiper motor was the type which had a wire pull for on off, not the correct one but it would park the wipers at outside of screen.

Fitted the correct wiper switch which has the variable speed adjustment and a NOS 1941 Trico Wiper Motor SSR1-1. This motor works really well.
However now the wipers now park in the centre by screen division. i saw this on another post and this is how it should be? Dont seem to be able to correct via repostioning of wiper arms. Its the small air line off the wiper switch that goes to the "park valve" on the wiper motor. Is it possible this can be corrected, as without this park valve the wipers would stop when switch is pushed in. Dont really want to mess with this motor as its running great except for the centre park position of wiper arms.

This is more or less the last of the little run items i have attended to since purchasing this car.Been driving it and working through the list of things to do. The ride with this model is cetainly a smoother different ride to the 39 coupe and 38 PU guess the improvements over those years.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
Graeme / New Zealand

Default Re: 1946 Mercury Trico Wiper Motor.

Phil check this recent post on the same problem.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=wiper+sweep

I have the same problem. Read my post on the 2 different wiper set ups. I suspect I need the cable pull motor SSM 114.

I have solved my issue in a way...I did it last Friday, by removing the the parking valve hose. I've cut a smaller bit, jammed a screw on one end and araldited it in to seal it and put that the valve nipple on the switch to blank it off. My wipers can now be manually parked at the bottom of the windshield when the switch is turned off. I find I get a smaller sweep but it looks correct. How often do you use it in the rain anyway.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
grumppyoldman

I solved my vaccume wiper problems by installing a 2 speed electric wiper system. Got a nos vac. wiper for sale now.
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #4
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Phil check this recent post on the same problem.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=wiper+sweep

I have the same problem. Read my post on the 2 different wiper set ups. I suspect I need the cable pull motor SSM 114.

I have solved my issue in a way...I did it last Friday, by removing the the parking valve hose. I've cut a smaller bit, jammed a screw on one end and araldited it in to seal it and put that the valve nipple on the switch to blank it off. My wipers can now be manually parked at the bottom of the windshield when the switch is turned off. I find I get a smaller sweep but it looks correct. How often do you use it in the rain anyway.

GB
Yea Graeme thats the line i was thinking of , taking the park switch out and just do the manual stop to park at outter screen edge. This way will still have the speed adjsutment in action as this wiper motor being NOS is a great preformer.
Phil NZ
Old 01-27-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
fordor41

If I remember correctly if you remove the "park" vac line there is nothing to hold the blades in the park position. With the wipers in park there is vac always on in the park postion to hold the wipers down.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:35 PM   #6
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
If I remember correctly if you remove the "park" vac line there is nothing to hold the blades in the park position. With the wipers in park there is vac always on in the park postion to hold the wipers down.
been running my one without the vac line for a couple of weeks now and they remain parked at the bottom of the windshield. They haven't blown away yet.....we've had some really big winds lately too. doesn't seem to be any different in tension.... only difference is you have to manually park them there.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
been running my one without the vac line for a couple of weeks now and they remain parked at the bottom of the windshield. They haven't blown away yet.....we've had some really big winds lately too. doesn't seem to be any different in tension.... only difference is you have to manually park them there.

GB
Yes just dont like the look with wipers parked at the division bar. Thats what I will do also. Time to get some more miles up on this one.
Phil NZ