Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #21
100IH

Default Re: 1931 Tudor. Carburetor adjusting rod not turning

Try this. If you can loosen the outer brass part of the GAV without ruining the hex nut part at its base. It is possible when installing the assembly, the needle was extended and now is jammed into the seat. If that doesn't work and you can turn and unscrew it, take it out and play with it, then back up on the needle with some lube on the needle's threads and the upper un-threaded part, and reinstall.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
rocket1

possibly the needle is stuck in the jet,and it won't turn because the jet threads are holding it,remote but anything is possible.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #23
Rob Rose

FINALLY fixed it. I removed the carburetor, heated it with a propane torch in the area where the GAV housing screwed into it until it got very hot, then dunked it in water. That finally freed the housing from the carb. I was able to unscrew the needle when I broke off the end of the gav housing and was able to grip it with a vise grip. I had ordered a carb rebuild kit and basically rebuilt the carb. I took the small ring off the end of the Gav housing and spread the ends apart a bit and tested the needle for smooth operation and it was fine. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am slowly gaining confidence to do more on my car. Like many things, it is easier once you have done it.
Rob Rose is offline   Reply With Quote