Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2016, 12:28 PM   #21
wallster

Default Re: Back in an A (and the long story behind it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns30 View Post
Nice car - looks like a twin of mine except mine has 4 doors
I love the color combo with the black wheels.
It sure does, love your Fordor, would like nice next to mine in the garage!

Wally

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #22
mhsprecher

Per this post, I have been inquiring as to the former owner of the car wallster has bought. I just got this information from a long time member of the George Washington Chapter of the Model A Ford Club as to the former own. I was able to pass some contact information along to Wallster in case he wants to try to call. Here is the story I got, which I thought was worth sharing with interested barners:

"Jason was a retired attorney who had owned his Model A since his college years. He was a regular member who rarely missed a meeting. He contacted me several years ago indicating he could no longer drive and wanted to donate his Model A to the GWC. At that time the club didn’t need the money and had no place to store it so we referred him to Stan Johnson, who at that time was trying to raise money to build the MAFFI museum. If I remember correctly, to raise money while in college, he would rent his Model A out to other students and had several Model As he rented also."

This is why it is good to post questions about your car and its previous life. You never know what you will find out!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
wallster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Per this post, I have been inquiring as to the former owner of the car wallster has bought. I just got this information from a long time member of the George Washington Chapter of the Model A Ford Club as to the former own. I was able to pass some contact information along to Wallster in case he wants to try to call. Here is the story I got, which I thought was worth sharing with interested barners:

"Jason was a retired attorney who had owned his Model A since his college years. He was a regular member who rarely missed a meeting. He contacted me several years ago indicating he could no longer drive and wanted to donate his Model A to the GWC. At that time the club didn’t need the money and had no place to store it so we referred him to Stan Johnson, who at that time was trying to raise money to build the MAFFI museum. If I remember correctly, to raise money while in college, he would rent his Model A out to other students and had several Model As he rented also."

This is why it is good to post questions about your car and its previous life. You never know what you will find out!
Thank you SO much mhsprecher, thanks to you (and Dave) I just had the opportunity of a lifetime! I phoned Mr Dryer and he was absolutely thrilled that I had. Mr. Dryer explained that he owned several Model A's as a young man. While he was in college he owned as many as six of them that he rented out. His love for these beautiful automobiles never wavered so after he completed law school and enjoyed a successful career he decided to look into purchasing another one to work on at his farm in Virginia. He purchased this 1930 Tudor in 1985 from a friend who had it tucked away in a storage shed. He hadn't had the time to restore the car so Mr. Dryer planned on taking on that task himself. It was transported to Mr Dryer's farm on a cattle truck where it's rear wheels sat precariously close to the edge of the truck (which brought on a lot of concerns about whether or not the car was going to fall off the truck). Mr. Dryer spent some of his free time rebuilding the car which included replacing the engine with a new (rebuilt engine) that he purchased from a shop in Western New York (he didn't recall the shop but thought it may have been Mac's in Lockport NY) . He explained to me that he was surprised by the discovery of the model A culture and the people interested in these wonderful cars in the late 1980's. Over the years he had purchased many parts from Bratton's auto and the car was finally completed in 1990. Having owned a few roadsters over the years he enjoyed the Tudor because it was a family man's car. Mr. Dryer told me that he decided to donate the car in 2011 because he felt he was getting too old to drive the car. He was thrilled that I phoned him and told him what had happened to the car since he donated it. He hopes to see the car again, perhaps when he visits family in Clarence NY (a suburb within driving distance of my home). He is currently living in a retirement home and he's had a few health setbacks recently. His wife wrote down all of my information so we can plan this event at some point in the near future. Just like the model A, Mr. Dryer sounds as tough as they come and at age 100, he doesn't sound like he's leaving us without a fight.
This was an absolute thrill for me. I could hear the excitement in his voice when he spoke about the car and his wife was just as thrilled. I don't think they realized just how much of their time spent talking to me meant but I love the car even more now because of it.

Wally

"JD" 1930 Ford Tudor

WallysSpectacularManCave
wallster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
mhsprecher

Wally,

I am glad that you called Mr. Dryer, but certainly not as happy as you are. I am glad that with a little legwork, I was able to find his contact information. I was certain that if he was able, that he would be thrilled to hear from you. I am glad this story had a happy and successful conclusion. Not too many are that easy to track down.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Black wheels . . .

Back in the old time big car club days of the 1970s, everybody and their mother-in-law seem to have had the family hobby A Model Ford painted up like a circus wagon with bright colored wheels. Still see some cars floating around with fancy etched wing windows on coupes and tudors along with all sorts of extra ornamentation. Suppose that's it a matter of each to his or her own.

Have always favored basic and austere Model A Ford cars. After-all, most of these cars in the old days were standard bread n' butter transportation for average people. 1930s photographs in our collection show lots of plain jane Model A Ford cars filling the city streets. A sedate dark color Model A Ford of any year with black spoke wheels is a very dignified business-like vehicle. At least to me, the understated look of that 31' Tudor sedan speaks much louder than some gaudy version.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:11 PM   #26
Dave in MD

Wally,
Great ending to your quest for information on your Tudor.
Regards,
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:27 AM   #27
bnchief

Looks just like my 30 tudor right down to the interior except mine is lombard blue with hessian blue wheels.
bnchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #28
CYB4

Your Tudor looks also like a twin of mine here in Bavaria
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5534.jpg (95.2 KB, 16 views)

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor

Last edited by CYB4; 10-26-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: wrong picture
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #29
Johns30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYB4 View Post
Your Tudor looks also like a twin of mine here in Bavaria
Wow, that is nice too! I think it is amazing how there are Ford Barn members from all around the world. Do you see many Model A's in Bavaria, or is yours really unusual?
Johns30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #30
CYB4

Here in Germany there are also several Model-A on the road, it is a common and affordable vintage car.
At bigger vintage car meetings there you will see a few of them. They have been manufactured also in Cologne, Germany. Mine seems to be an American one, but I don't know the original engine number, the engine number it has does not fit to a late 1930 Tudor.

Chris

1930 Ford A Std. Tudor
CYB4 is offline   Reply With Quote