Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #81
racingrufus

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

This is a great forum, I have recieved many helpful suggestions. Dont let the few dictate for the many. Dwayne
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #82
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingrufus View Post
This is a great forum, I have recieved many helpful suggestions. Dont let the few dictate for the many. Dwayne
There's the "KEY" word-----"THE FEW"
Bill W.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #83
WestCoast

ive read what Ryan said over the last few days, and my conclusion is like RYANS, be nice, or be gone, so very simple LOL
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #84
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

If we were all at a bar having this conversation, do you think anyone of you would tell anyone else in the conversation to "shut the fuck up?"So why on earth would you do it on a forum about old Fords?
I have learned not to post here. I read it every day but I seldom post. Those who treat other poorly I just skip over. I never read their stuff. They are only here to show other up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I believe it's because some of you like the feeling of being something online you really aren't in real life. And some of you like to act online in a way that you are too scared to act offline.
Well said. They know who they are. They were picked on in school so they will spend the rest of their lives trying to make up for it. Without the internet they would just have to make up lies about their former greatness to tell their wife and children. With the internet their "former greatness" is shared with us.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:46 PM   #85
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I have learned not to post here...
Before I post anything, I attempt to reason out what I intend to say, and many times I just pass on that post/question, saying to myself: "let someone else answer that." I've gained a lot more here than I have been able to contribute. Appreciate being able to just sit back and listen most of the time.

PS: Hi Curley!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #86
hardtimes

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey Ryan,
Thanks !! Well thought out and stated and leaves little doubt about what to expect for anyone using an arrogant asshole attitude to abuse the rules of YOUR forum and/or other members ! We all know that actions speak louder than words. So, no need for the enablers to ask...'hey, what ever happen to so/so', he was such a great guy...ha !
OMG...what are we ever going to do ....without the drama of blue haired ladies ? IMO, try it , you'll like it..lol

Last edited by hardtimes; 08-26-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: ..........
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #87
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
OMG...what are we ever going to do ....without the drama of blue haired ladies ? IMO, try it , you'll like it..lol
I believe you're commenting on what's called the "Blue Rinse Brigade". I usually ignore any confrontations when the talk is about Model A Fords and the maintenance of and that's because I know jack crap about Model A Fords but I do know more now than what I did before coming here but still so far from enough to butt in. What problem I do have is with people with no sense of humor, doesn't matter what, where or who, without humor, any subject would be like listening to a political debate, boring and mostly all lies and.....without humor, a lot of people couldn't mask their pain to continue on with life and enjoy it with like minded people. Try going through life without a laugh or a smile and having to live with demons from the past, it's not possible.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #88
Jeff/Illinois

Just curious if most of the trouble on the Forums comes from the Model A guys, Early V-8 guys, or Model T guys. Some go back and forth I watch Model A and Early V-8 sides.

Counting just today, there were 34 'lines' of threads posted so far today (didn't open each thread and count how many hit that post today just the line item count on the face page) on the Model A side, 41 on the Early V-8 side, and only came up with 12 lines on the Model T side in the past WEEK!

Conclusion: It's those pesky Model T guys causing the trouble Must be because they are so 'cranky'!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #89
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Just curious if most of the trouble on the Forums comes from the Model A guys, Early V-8 guys, or Model T guys. Some go back and forth I watch Model A and Early V-8 sides.

Counting just today, there were 34 'lines' of threads posted so far today (didn't open each thread and count how many hit that post today just the line item count on the face page) on the Model A side, 41 on the Early V-8 side, and only came up with 12 lines on the Model T side in the past WEEK!

Conclusion: It's those pesky Model T guys causing the trouble Must be because they are so 'cranky'!!
Best post on this thread so far...IMO. Lightened the mood, considerably!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #90
Slotblog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Ryan,
Are P.M.'s REALLY PRIVATE?
Bill W.
They're as private as emails and phone calls, Bills.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #91
160B

deadhorse.gifthe horse is dead

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 08-26-2015 at 06:28 PM.
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #92
jimalabam

Ryan" I agree with all you new rules. I am a Senior member who came over from the old Barn, and as I post infrequently, I mainly review posts that interest me and ignore the others. As for any character problems, this forum is for fixing Fords, and it is no place to display any mental problem someone may have. Cheers Buddy, and keep up the good work.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #93
Al 29Tudor

Thanks for running a great site Ryan.
I've gotten a lot of good information/help here and I appreciate that.
Thanks,
Al Leach
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #94
CarlG

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fighting on line 2.jpg (33.8 KB, 16 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #95
imacrazy

Guy’s you know as well as I do there are so much going on in this old
world every day, if we can’t get along on a site like this with each other and enjoy our old Ford’s, then we just as well sign off.
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #96
Bruskie

ryan, very well said. I stopped logging on for a while because I didn't want to read the shit
Bruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #97
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
They're as private as emails and phone calls, Bills.
Read our terms of service... Your private messages are just that - PRIVATE.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #98
redmodelt

Adding to Ryan's work load there are 48,532 names on the roster. We only see a few people posting so there must be a lot of watchers that never post or have only one post.
Thank you Ryan.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #99
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
Ryan,
Here's a partial-solution used by another forum I'm on: require actual names in the signature area.

That is why my name is there. I put my name on everything I say.

A name and phone number might be even better. People are less likely to slam others when they know they can be gotten to. Take your name or number off your signature, and your account is suspended.
Ryan, I feel your pain. I ran the ISP services of a large University as it came into being back in the early birth pains of the Internet. Managing or mentoring the conduct of over thirty thousand hormone drenched international undergrads was bad enough. But through the years I found that the staff and faculty were far more prone to abuse of their privileges. (and membership of the Model A Forum is a privilege!!!)

As an aside, one of the best deterrents I found to abusive commentary was to have one of my staff, a lady of advanced years who looked like a Disney grandma, but was a tough as nails, interview the perpetrators. I have seen members of the varsity football team leave her office in tears.

We did ensure that all our users were registered with their real names and could discover their true identity within minutes. I have always used my real name on any forum in which I have participated, although I have used nom-de-plumes over my name to emphasise a point. (E.G. I used the nom-de-plume 'Kier Hardie' when discussing capitalism, for which I was called a Scottish bastard by a distinguished faculty member from a well known college.)

Further, as part of my professional duties I had to monitor and sometimes participate in several forums pertaining various computing related issues. The abuse and profanities that I suffered for espousing unconventional opinions was incredible. Nobody should suffer any verbal abuse for expressing any opinion that in itself is not couched in inflammatory language.

In my opinion, the to right free speech should not also grant a right to abuse and/or otherwise discomfort any person. If the controlling and confining the damage caused by the abuse of the right to free speech restrains or restricts that right - TOO BAD. Live with it and moderate your language.

Ryan - Keep up the good work.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 08-26-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: poor grammar
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #100
Clavo

I just got here (08-26-15) and I agree.
Clavo is offline   Reply With Quote