Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #101
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: Got an old brain? I need to pick it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
-and did you know that the flip coin return was to foil thieves, who would stuff paper up the previous design open return slot and come back later for their loot.

and you confirmed something I kinda suspected: that the candlestick phone was more a device of the 'teens than the twenties.

Here's a good site for info on early phones, covers them all and the years.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #102
Charles Coe

In the 1950s in rural Alabama, the small store near my grandmother's house still had a wooden wall phone with a crank on the side. Almost no one had a phone in their house.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:28 PM   #103
ursus

One thing that I recall is pretty much gone these days and that is a sense of pride in running a service station. My father started in sales for the former Texas Company (now called Texaco) at a time when most stations were leased franchise operations. The operators were expected to wear a reasonably clean uniform with a cap and black bow tie and to treat the public with courtesy. This was just after WWII and many of the station operators were veterans that ran their places with the efficiency and precision of a military base. By the time he retired in 1990, my father had said they were lucky to hire station attendants that "could walk and chew gum at the same time".
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #104
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Coe View Post
In the 1950s in rural Alabama, the small store near my grandmother's house still had a wooden wall phone with a crank on the side. Almost no one had a phone in their house.
Sorta the same with the old see-thru gravity pumps, many rural areas didn't have electricity to run the pumps that replaced them so they were used way into the late 40s.

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #105
BlueSunoco

31 Model A------ neat set up perfect place to park your Coupe!!

I saw a really nice Sunoco oil bottle rack w/ bottles sell at auction a few years ago. It was illuminated looked pretty cool. Seller said it dated from the early 1930's. Being a Sunoco nut I sure wanted to buy it, but it sold at just under three thousand bucks if I recall was out of my budget for that sort of thing at that time
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #106
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSunoco View Post
31 Model A------ neat set up perfect place to park your Coupe!!

I saw a really nice Sunoco oil bottle rack w/ bottles sell at auction a few years ago. It was illuminated looked pretty cool. Seller said it dated from the early 1930's. Being a Sunoco nut I sure wanted to buy it, but it sold at just under three thousand bucks if I recall was out of my budget for that sort of thing at that time

Yes, certain things go for big bucks if they are associated with a certain oil company....you can find wire racks with authentic bottles with spouts between $400-$600 bucks that are not associated with a certain oil company. I've come across many in antique shops.

Last edited by 31 Model A; 07-08-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #107
BlueSunoco

I hear ya..... this one was a blue and yellow outfit that stood alone, about three feet high, big enough to hold around 24 glass oil bottles. It was perfectly restored with Sunoco oil bottles in the stand. The sides had little punched out holes in the outlines of 'Blue Sunoco' so the light bulbs inside would shine out if that makes any sense.

Probably what it was worth as you say they want $600 for the small wire carriers w/ bottles.

Oh well, next time
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #108
31 Model A

How much did you pay the last time you got 13 gals of gas and one quart of oil?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Elkh...item1a02233a84

Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #109
BlueSunoco

C.E. couldn't afford the Hi-Test!!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #110
Gold Digger

Even in the mid-60's we had a see through gravity pump at a one horse garage that I worked at as a teenager. One of my many jobs there was to keep it pumped full during the day so the gas would expand and the excess would run over the over flow pipe and return back in the under ground tank. The old man that ran the place said that was the only profit he made on gas. I done all of the oil changes and grease jobs and helped on the overhauls and clutch jobs. The old man was an expert mechanic but rather talk than work. He also bootlegged wild cat whisky out of the parts room.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #111
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
Even in the mid-60's we had a see through gravity pump at a one horse garage that I worked at as a teenager. One of my many jobs there was to keep it pumped full during the day so the gas would expand and the excess would run over the over flow pipe and return back in the under ground tank. The old man that ran the place said that was the only profit he made on gas. I done all of the oil changes and grease jobs and helped on the overhauls and clutch jobs. The old man was an expert mechanic but rather talk than work. He also bootlegged wild cat whisky out of the parts room.
LOL!!!!! Great story, great memory to have........

Old 07-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #112
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
LOL!!!!! Great story, great memory to have........
We got our first electric pump for the Regular, in 1944, got tired of PUMPIN'--Still used an old pumper for the Ethyl.
Once I was fillin' 55 Gallon drums on the back of a flat bed, CLIMB DOWN, PUMP, CLIMB UP, AGIN' & AGIN'!----Sittin' on top of the LAST one, RAN IT OVER!!!--What a MISERABLE DAY!!
Bill W.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #113
31 Model A

Can't really remember the last time I drank a Squirt, way over 50 years for sure until today. Sure brings back my youth, so much that by the time I've drank this case I'll be back in nappies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #114
1937pickup

I remember the smell of the station my dad used to fill up on Saturday.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #115
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
I remember the smell of the station my dad used to fill up on Saturday.
OH YES, the SMELLS Our fillin' station had smells, like: GAS, KZHAUST STINK, COAL SMOKE, from the pot belly, USED OIL, HOT PATCH SMOKE, sum guy with a CIGAR or a PIPE, ACID STINK from the battery charger area, OLD AIR, wheezing out of an inner tube, FOOD SMELLS frum Richardsons' Café, across the alley, some man that took a "bath" in WITCH HAZEL, Mommas' cheep PERFUME, Chiefs' B.O, that horrible old GREASY SMELL, comin' off a blistering OVERHEATED ENGINE, MANURE SMELL from the guy that kept his car in his BARNYARD, RUBBER SMELL in the tire/tube room, OH! the unusual, indescribable smell of the exhaust from the HYDRAULIC HOIST----------Like a cross of the smell of a cesspool, laced with OLD OIL!!
BUT, the REST ROOMS didn't STINK, guess who cleaned them?? Chief sed I made them smell like a cross, between a HOSPITAL & a FRENCH HOREHOUSE, don't remember whut I used??? Sometimes, whin sumbody really "BOMBED" it, I'd burn newspapers, FIRST, to "neutralize" that smell, so's it didn't start the paint to PEELING on the walls!!! And Momma NEVER failed to ask, "Didja' WASH YO' HANDS"?
Other smells nearby, TRAIN, POST MILL, where they treated posts with CREASOTE, that old mans' PICKLE factory, in the alley, & that "FUNNY" smell from Highway 70, when it just started to rain & I culd go on & on, but I just BROKE a NAIL on my MAJOR tipin' FINGER
Bill W.----(I DON'T make up this "STUFF", it's ALL TRUE, I jist have trubble REMEMBERING it all.)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-10-2015 at 04:53 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #116
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Sometimes, whin sumbody really "BOMBED" it, I'd burn newspapers, FIRST, to "neutralize" that smell, so's it didn't start the paint to PEELING on the walls!!! .)
You would have been made NCOIC of the morning shit burning detail in Nam with all that kind of experience Paw!!!!

Paw, you know where or who sells Dr Pepper in bottles?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #117
SeaSlugs

http://www.vintagesodas.com/where-to-buy-vintage-sodas

where you can buy pretty much any vintage soda (new made glass bottle stuffyou can drink - im not talking 40 year old soda...)

amazon has a surprising amount of old sodas too.

if you google search where to buy vintage candy alot of different websites pop up.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #118
RichPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
The desk telephone, Western Electric 202 set was developed in 1920 and widely available in the 1930's, known as an "H Set" to Telco people and The FDR Phone to many. The wall set represented with the flip in the coin return was a late 1960s development.
In reference to the ubiquitous slide credit card machine, BANK AMERICARD was the first of the bank cards, available in 1958. Credit cards were unheard of at the Long Island gas station I worked in during the late 1950's and early 1960's. The $ 0.40 oil bottles were refilled nightly from bulk oil containers.
Bruce, I see you are from Northport. My summer job in 1969 was pumping gas, fixing flats and changing spark plugs at "Country Life" Shell in Fort Salonga. When I have a few minutes I will add my memories to this great thread.
Rich
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #119
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
http://www.vintagesodas.com/where-to-buy-vintage-sodas

where you can buy pretty much any vintage soda (new made glass bottle stuffyou can drink - im not talking 40 year old soda...)

amazon has a surprising amount of old sodas too.

if you google search where to buy vintage candy alot of different websites pop up.
I do appreciate those links but I found Dr Pepper cheaper here:

http://soda-emporium.com/FRESH-Case-...-P2356971.aspx

But!!!!! You found for me something that I have been looking for since the late 60s. When I would fly into Saigon, I'd walk over the Aussie transport hut where the Diggers would be arriving in and leaving Nam. They had a soda machine in there and there was an orange soda that I'd die for. Here is it...and thanks much, I owe ya!!!

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=969

Old 07-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #120
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post

But!!!!! You found for me something that I have been looking for since the late 60s. When I would fly into Saigon, I'd walk over the Aussie transport hut where the Diggers would be arriving in and leaving Nam. They had a soda machine in there and there was an orange soda that I'd die for. Here is it...and thanks much, I owe ya!!!

http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=969
Just ordered 12 bottles, sorry, for private consumption only!!!! but ya all can have a Squirt if ya drop by.