Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #141
jax55

Default Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

Bill, I for one appreciate what you are doing for the rest of us with this socket.
I would also like to say, and I hope others might agree... you should not lose money on this! Doing it "as a labor of love and bragging rights" is great, but please cover your costs.
I would pay a few bucks more to help...who knows what you might come up with next that would help our hobby?
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 AM   #142
haag1332

I appreciate your comments jax. I built in a few different things when announcing the price based on what the interest level appeared to be at the time. Believe me, if I didn't think I could recover my cost at least I would have already changed some things regarding pricing. The added level of interest has allowed me to purchase better/different tooling which I should still be able to recoup the cost on, and hopefully cut down my time to make 2 to 3 times or more the number of sockets we originally figured on. So basically, covering cost, but still a "labor" of love, lol.

In short, I think I will be fine on cost, and possibly even make a buck or 2 on any subsequent runs.

I will know for sure after I get the blanks and start running these things in the next week or so, lol.

And of course if there is any other need down the road that I may be able to help with, I am sure my father will sucker me in somehow, lol.

Hope everyone following this thread is doing well. I will keep you updated.

Bill
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #143
haag1332

One other thing to add to this. Due to a certain legal agreement the most time consuming part of this will probably be that I am going to have to hand stamp each socket. Since I have no automated way of doing this, no two sockets will be the same. It will probably be myself and my 2 sons doing this, so you will all no doubt end up with individualized sockets, lol.

If by chance someone out there has an actual high dollar rotary steel stamping machine which will do this process for minimal cost, please let me know since I may be interested, but the personalized thing does have kind of a nostalgic ring to it which I think fits well with this project.

Bill
Old 03-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #144
fingers

Things are moving slowly, but they are moving. The number of requests for sockets is very close to the first run limit. My son is concerned that not every socket will be perfect, so he may have to halt adding to the list until the first run is made. Hope all you followers of this thread are well.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #145
haag1332

Hi All,

Minor update on the sockets.

Obviously the biggest part of this project is broaching the 13/32 hex end of the sockets. Using the broach I had made, I was able to broach 65 of the sockets before the broach wear tolerance was such that the finish clearance for the socket was not acceptable.

I have two new broaches on the way, but will not have them until Monday of next week. Once I receive the broaches I can finish the remaining blanks and get ready for the next part of the process.

The 13/32 broaching process has gone as well as expected even though I had hoped the tooling would last more than 65 pieces.

In any event, once the 13/32 broaching is complete we will move on to the inside bore of the sockets for clearance on the gav housing tube, then some finish turning on the outside followed by stamping the identification on the barrels of the sockets.

I know everyone is probably anxious to get these things in hand, but it will be a few weeks yet, due to scheduling and such before I can have these things complete and ready to ship.

Thank you all for your interest, and hopefully patience at this point. The project is moving, but possibly not quite as quick as everyone including myself would like.

Hope everyone is doing well, and as always, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have regarding this project.

Thank you,

Bill
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 PM   #146
Dave in Petaluma

I somehow missed this thread until now and would like very much to be added to the list for two sockets from the first, or second run if necessary.
Thanks for making this happen!
Dave
Dave in Petaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #147
Manuel

Hi
Would it be possible to put me on the list as well?

Thanks

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #148
Ray in La Mesa

Patiently waiting for a neat new tool!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #149
haag1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
Patiently waiting for a neat new tool!
Thank you for your patience Ray. I guarantee the quality of this tool will be well worth it.

Thank you again,

Bill
Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #150
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #151
fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Mike: I know the feeling. We all have been waiting and hoping for that big bite. I have taken the gav housing out of three carbs since I got the first socket and could not be happier. I am looking for more carburetors just to use this tool. My wife don't think I need any more cause she thinks 14 sidebowl carbs and 7 other regular carbs is enough. She just don't understand. Hang in there and start reeling in, we are coming down the short rows now. I would like to take this time to publicaly thank my son for taking on this project. THANKS KID, Love Dad
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #152
haag1332

Maybe Mike just decided to go relax and do some fishing while he is waiting on the socket.

Bill
Old 03-25-2015, 12:29 AM   #153
haag1332

Another minor update.

While waiting for the new broaches, I bored all of the sockets to receive the gav housing stem over the weekend including the ones that have not been broached yet. The plan was to do the broach work, then bore, but I decided to try and get ahead of the game any way possible.

I received the new broaches Monday and tonight was able to randomly broach a few of the unbroached sockets which I had bored over the weekend. Fortunately it looks as though they will match up just fine.

My schedule is kind of hectic right now due to my two sons motorcycle racing season starting up as well as some courses I am taking, so I am not sure when I will get to broach the remaining 85 sockets for the first run, but hopefully still this week at some point.

Once the broaching is done I still have to do the outside finish, as well as stamping which will take quite a bit of time, then finish with heat treat.

Long story short, things are moving forward.

Hope everyone is well,

Bill
Old 03-25-2015, 01:01 AM   #154
Mike V. Florida

I'll be happy to test any you already have made.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #155
haag1332

Well Mike,

I have some broached, and such, but they still need stamped and heat treated. I will make sure you get what you have ordered asap once they are completed, lol.

Bill
Old 03-26-2015, 11:41 PM   #156
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by haag1332 View Post
Well Mike,

I have some broached, and such, but they still need stamped and heat treated. I will make sure you get what you have ordered asap once they are completed, lol.

Bill
Can't blame me for wanting to jump the line.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #157
haag1332

Don't blame you one bit mike, lol. Might just have to make you your own personalized socket, lol.

Bill
Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 AM   #158
stillwater

seems to me that these used to be available on special order from Sears, that's where dad got his. Maybe they aren't anymore?...
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #159
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
seems to me that these used to be available on special order from Sears, that's where dad got his. Maybe they aren't anymore?...
oh gee, if Mr. Sears or Mr. Roebuck called me personally today, I would tell them I already made a commitment to a fellow that had already stuck his neck out to help the hobby....which is a lot more than what Sears is doing today. Incidentally, I would say the Model "A" hobby is in sounder shape than Sears itself is.

I'm not trying to sound like a wiseacre, just trying to emphasize we need to support those that support the hobby. Maybe on down the line he or someone else will come up with another much-needed tool for Model "A" service.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #160
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
oh gee, if Mr. Sears or Mr. Roebuck called me personally today, I would tell them I already made a commitment to a fellow that had already stuck his neck out to help the hobby....which is a lot more than what Sears is doing today. Incidentally, I would say the Model "A" hobby is in sounder shape than Sears itself is.

I'm not trying to sound like a wiseacre, just trying to emphasize we need to support those that support the hobby. Maybe on down the line he or someone else will come up with another much-needed tool for Model "A" service.
agree:::
plus they come with a LIFETIME guarantee from haag1332.....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote