Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default SBC / 8 BA Distributors

In mid April I'm going to start another run of modified Chevy distributors
for use in 8BA flatheads. I will keep this build to 12 as in the past unless
requests exceed 12. At Jim Linders' request I'll be talking to him very soon
and make a deal for his inventory of parts to supplement my inventory for
these distributors.
If any one is interested in one of these units......just let me know and I'll
put you on the list....no deposit or anything like that, your word is good .
No PM's please, your e mail to me gets you on the list and guarantees I
have proper contact info.

Charlie ny
[email protected]
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: SBC / 8 BA Distributors

Charlie, it saddens me Jim is retiring given the support he has given the hobby but glad you can still provide excellent services!
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #3
Charlie ny
BANNED

Michael,
Jim will always be the MAN !
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #4
BUBBAS IGNITION

Yep i will be boxing the stuff as time permits and sending Charlie my Delco Flathead stuff . I have a tons and have built a ton of these and each batch has gotten better as we went.I have a friend ( Bill) that had me make one of these for a 50 Ford 12-15 years ago ran so good his friend came by the shop and said make me one !! I took it to my machine shop guy and he said i dont want to do it ! If ya cant do six at a time i dont want to mess with it . So i went back to my shop and cleaned up six . They didnt last a month , just word of mouth ...I have a card on a cabinent door that show the numbers over the years my office girl placed with #718 shipped , to date we have shipped over 2500 all over the world and the orders still come in weekly.........they must have worked and fixed a common flathead problem.??
Charlie has the system down pat and i will share all our product knowledge with him and he will get it done i am sure ...
Workin the plan at Bubbas !!!!!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I first saw a SBC didt on a flathead, at the races back in the 70's. Never gave it much thought. After I dobered up, back in the 80[s I made my first one and supplied them with every 8BA style I built, never used the vac adv. untill I made one for Ron Horells 296, he sent it off to a guy in Texas who converted it to electronics and added the Vac adv. Ron then went on to explain why this was better. Tt wasn't untill Richard Fl got ahold of it did we see the advantages of this system. H eeigned the adjustable mech adv and went on to creat the advance curves we used today. I could never get into the buiness of making ignition systems and it was great to see Bubba come out with them, the Charley NY. These two guys like JWL, Walt Dupont and others have improved the Hobby by providing the knowledge to make it better. WE all work together as a team.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

I thought I had it down , until I did a special dist for Richard in fla, look up anal in the dictionary , they use Richards picture !!!! Had me making 1/2 degree advance bushings. Wore me out but I stayed with him thug a few shipments !!!!!!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:42 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
I thought I had it down , until I did a special dist for Richard in fla, look up anal in the dictionary , they use Richards picture !!!! Had me making 1/2 degree advance bushings. Wore me out but I stayed with him thug a few shipments !!!!!!!!

I always thought that there was a method to his madness, and that he usually had good reasoning and organization for everything he did. I thought he was pretty sharp, but what do I know? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #8
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I first saw a SBC didt on a flathead, at the races back in the 70's. Never gave it much thought. After I dobered up, back in the 80[s I made my first one and supplied them with every 8BA style I built, never used the vac adv. untill I made one for Ron Horells 296, he sent it off to a guy in Texas who converted it to electronics and added the Vac adv. Ron then went on to explain why this was better. Tt wasn't untill Richard Fl got ahold of it did we see the advantages of this system. H eeigned the adjustable mech adv and went on to creat the advance curves we used today. I could never get into the buiness of making ignition systems and it was great to see Bubba come out with them, the Charley NY. These two guys like JWL, Walt Dupont and others have improved the Hobby by providing the knowledge to make it better. WE all work together as a team.
Gramps

Amen Ron. I don't have the higher pedigree or the advantage of having a prior generation under me to help me. Pops was a car guy, reason I like these fords, but also was limited with having ms.

All mentioned have done a lot for the industry, I'll add the librarian Bruce. Including you Ron

Last edited by Tinker; 03-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Krylon32

I have used several of Bubba's Chevy/Flathead distributors over the years and was fortunate to get one of his last. It will have a good home in my French block installed in one of the last of the aluminum front covers I used to do, along with my 409 water pump kit on the block makes a nice combination. I know it's not traditional but I like it. Gary at Cornhusker
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I have used several of Bubba's Chevy/Flathead distributors over the years and was fortunate to get one of his last. It will have a good home in my French block installed in one of the last of the aluminum front covers I used to do, along with my 409 water pump kit on the block makes a nice combination. I know it's not traditional but I like it. Gary at Cornhusker

Gary....I know you don't do pictures (we need to correct that), but if you want to e-mail me a couple, I'll post 'em for ya. Some of us would really like to see some of the stuff you do. My e-mail below! DD

[email protected]

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

Looking forward tithe pics, Gary!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
Krylon32

I'm no longer doing the 8BA front covers as they require 5-6 hrs of CNC time and costs got prohibitive. I am having a run of water pump kits done and have already sold 7 out of the 10 I'm having built. Many of you have seen the parts when I was doing the NSRA shows for about 18 years all over the US under my Cornhusker Rod And Custom name.

Last edited by Krylon32; 03-10-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote