Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
PhoenixFear

Default Driveshaft options '33

I have a local place to me here in San Diego willing to lengthen my driveshaft on my '33 and perhaps balance it. However I'm debating if I should have that done or find a better shop to build me a driveshaft. I had to grind out a bit of material on the shaft to get the pin out (.06"). I don't think it will give me any trouble but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if a shaft can be successfully lengthened. I need it lengthened 1.75", since I have a 4-cyl shaft and need a V8 shaft. Any opinions or local driveline places to take this to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: Driveshaft options '33

To shorten or lengthen the shaft is no big deal. To find the shop with the equipment is large enough is a bigger deal. Weld repair the ground down area and repair the hole for the pin, or find another rear end of the drive shaft (I have a 10 spline, send PM if interested). Have the rear end of the shaft removed and the repair welded area lathed down, add a lengthening adapter between the repaired rear section and the front drive shaft section make sure you have a good tight fit to both ends of the adapter. At this point you want to make sure you have the correct over all length. I would assemble the drive shaft, rear end, correct torque tube, front bearing spacer washer and use the speedometer gear and it's retaining clip as a guide to the proper length. The speedo gear and the retaining clip are not tight to each other, the gear should be able to move about 1/8 to 3/16". Then after making sure the length is correct have the two final welds made making sure the front of the shaft is straight to the adapter and the final old repaired splined rear end. I have never seen a balance weight welded to these small diameter drive shafts, I am not sure they have to be balanced, but it will not hurt. To make sure the adapter and the repaired rear section are in line with the front of the drive shaft is very important. So a tight overlap joint fit is necessary. Suggest you leave a V groove at the two weld areas and have three adjacent rings of weld at each joint one at the V groove and one on each side of the V groove and overlapping the first.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
PhoenixFear

I built up more weld around the shaft and ground it flush. I'll have the shop lengthen it. I have both the 4-cyl torque tube and V-8 torque tube to compare, and they measure out 1.75" difference. The stock 4-cyl driveshaft is 1.75" shorter than the 4-cyl torque tube, and 3.5" shorter than the V-8 torque tube. So I'll lengthen it 1.75". After the shop looked at the shaft again they decided they couldn't balance it, but I figured it couldn't be balanced anyway. Instead they'll make sure it is straight and true. The guy there said it was .050 out of round but I told him the pilot hole I made so that his lathe could put it on was probably off, I don't have the best tools to get an exact pilot hole.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
1931 flamingo

Does not Dick Spadaro offer a new one that can be cut to length??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Does not Dick Spadaro offer a new one that can be cut to length??
Paul in CT
I believe the Spadaro kit has been off the market for some time.

Last edited by 42merc; 07-26-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Barn Junk

Seems like there is getting to be a shortage of 32-34 drive shafts. Has anyone tried shortening a fairly common 35-36+ tapered hollow drive shaft? I know the taper presents some issues for alignment but with some sort of transition piece welded in with post straightening/balancing it seems it could be possible.
Barn Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
PhoenixFear

The only thing I could think would be a good option for the '32-34 would be to buy the 6-10 spline adapter or get a 6-spline end and get the front 6-spline piece and weld both to a piece of steel tube. I believe '35 had 10 splines on it so it wouldn't work with '32-34 gears.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Terry,OH

I believe the late 32 through 35 pinions are 10 spline the change to 6 spline is a bit later, 36 or so.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

I have several sets of splined ends removed from '35-'36 tubular driveshafts when I was making old school headers. These splined ends could be reused to make a driveshaft similar to what Dick Spadaro use to offer. Send me a pm if interested in getting a set of these splined ends.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attach...8&d=1353182945

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-27-2013 at 07:07 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote