Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
rustyrim

Default which way to go?

banned

Last edited by rustyrim; 01-27-2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
rustyrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
bart78

Default Re: which way to go?

Do what ever you want to do. What are your plans for using it. To just drive around town? Or actually go some where. For me a stock t would just be used to go around town in or drive some country roads. They are easy to drive but they are not comfortable for long rides. And they are slow. But it's a model t so you know what you are getting. The main question is why are you wanting to do? They made so many t's. so they are not that rare.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Gumpy

Howdy Rustyrim=

there alot of modified model T's out there and many which have been altered the question I always ask myself is how much money do I want to put into it, there is always a time limit when I am building something and $....your son has the right idea! gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Steve Jelf

What do you mean by easier to drive? Many times people unfamiliar with the Model T assume that an alteration from stock is an improvement. Sometimes it is (safety glass, lined brake shoes, bronze thrust washers), and sometimes it isn't (water pump, distributor, twelve volts). There are all sorts of attitudes on what changes to make. Mine is that I'm willing to add safety features, but I want a Model T, not a rod, so I want to keep the things that make a T a T. If I want to go fast I'll drive a Packard. Others are more willing to modify, sometimes so far that I'd consider it no longer a real T. But I don't know exactly where that line is. It's a free country and you can do what pleases you, but I'd urge you to do some homework first and read up on the common changes people make. Check out the MTFCA forum for awhile (it's the most active one), and you'll find some good arguments over modifications. Sometimes the discussions between the purists and the revolutionaries get a little heated, but you can read the points made by both sides and make an informed decision.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Steve Jelf

By the way, welcome to the affliction, as we commonly say. Here are a couple of links for the new Model T owner.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
CharlieB

I'd like to know what you have in mind.
CharlieB is offline   Reply With Quote