Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
wexford

Default Model A paint guide

What is the newest edition of the Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide is it the 3rd edition revised, also what year was the Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide 3rd edition revised published
wexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: Model A paint guide

The first edition was published in 1991, with three pages of color chops. The 3rd edition revised was published in 2008, with five pages of color chips. Big improvement. Looks like the 3rd edition revised is still being sold by the two national clubs. You can order your copy through either MARC or MAFCA.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
The first edition was published in 1991, with three pages of color chops. The 3rd edition revised was published in 2008, with five pages of color chips. Big improvement. Looks like the 3rd edition revised is still being sold by the two national clubs. You can order your copy through either MARC or MAFCA.

Mike, just so we are clear, the first revision (and adoption by MAFCA) was in '91, but prior to that, wasn't this a Ditzler book produced as a sales tool for hobbyists? Then as PPG absorbed the name of Ditzler, the "second official revision" happened under the PPG name. Then MAFCA obtained the rights and added sketches however I think the book itself has been around long before 1991. Am I wrong??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DitzlerBook01.jpg (33.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DitzlerBook02.jpg (92.8 KB, 21 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
Mike Peters

Brent: You are correct. I used to have a copy of that first PPG repaint manual, but lost it. I used it back in the 80's for painting our 28 Tudor. I didn't know about MAFCA obtaining rights back in '91, but what you said makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mike, just so we are clear, the first revision (and adoption by MAFCA) was in '91, but prior to that, wasn't this a Ditzler book produced as a sales tool for hobbyists? Then as PPG absorbed the name of Ditzler, the "second official revision" happened under the PPG name. Then MAFCA obtained the rights and added sketches however I think the book itself has been around long before 1991. Am I wrong??

I just checked my model A shelf, and I have one of those PPG manuals. While looking I also found my copy of "Ricks Model A Shop Manual". Now that's an old, but good one, with lots of photographs. I made good use of it way back before you could "Google" everything.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
wexford

The reason im asking about the Mafca Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide is when i was at a model A swap meet in 2016, some one told me that a new edition was coming out soon, it would have more pictures and they said that some things where being changed and updated, so i called Mafca head quarters in La Habra California and asked them if a new edition of there Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide was coming out they said yes it will be coming out soon that was 2 years ago, the Mafca Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide 3rd edition was published in 2008, so my question is, is the Mafca Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide 3rd edition is that the newest one out as of 2018
Old 03-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #7
wexford

do any of you have the Mafca Model "A" Paint and Finish Guide 3rd edition, if so there is a page in the book that has Moulding Colors can some one post that page so i can look at it
Old 03-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Mike Peters

https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129

Wexford- Why don't you just buy the book? It's a wonderful reference you will use for years. And yes, there is a page on moulding colors.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
wexford

i have a Mafca Model A Paint and Finish Guide - 2nd Edition how much of a difference is the 2nd edition vs the 3rd edition is it really necessary to get the third edition if its basically the same material in both the 2nd and 3rd edition, all i want to do is look at the moulding color page, i agree It's a wonderful reference

Last edited by wexford; 03-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=129

Wexford- Why don't you just buy the book? It's a wonderful reference you will use for years. And yes, there is a page on moulding colors.
thank you for responding back so quick , im getting info for my dad, he dont mess with computers at 75 years old, he still thinks he is back in the 50s still, i think he wants to buy the 3rd edition now, thanks again