Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
Randy1944

Default Edelbrock Heads

I am wondering about the value of a set of Edelbrock heads. They are for a 1939-1948 Ford and have not been used in years and look it. No breaks or broken fins and all plug holes are good. I don't mind paying a fair price, but usually, I end up paying more than a fair price - especially when I don't ask for advice. Could someone help me with this - just an opinion and how rare are the original ones?

Many Thanks
Randy
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Edelbrock Heads

Save up and get new ones.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:49 PM   #3
Dodge

Ditto, save up for a new set or don't pay any more than you would for any other wall hanger. There has been more problems with old heads than good results.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

I agree with the gang - get the new ones. Also, I believe that most of Edelbrock's newer versions have 3/4" reach plug threads (validate with the part numbers you're looking at) - which are MUCH better than the older heads where we only had about 7/16" reach.

There are a ton of suppliers for every type of 3/4" reach plug you can imagine - so your choices go way up as to what brands you want to run and heat ranges.

Lastly, the aluminum alloys of the newer heads are really good - nice foundry work and nice machine work . . . worth saving up for!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Another issue with used head is the possibility that they are warped. It can be hard to tell without a machine shop checking them out. They also are often milled and this can be an unknown factor.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
TJ

Get the new ones. You start out with no problems. In the old heads you have no idea how much electrolysis has eaten away at the inside of the head. You could have many potential leaks down the road. Most old aluminum heads are simply wall hangers.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Randy1944

Well - Alright then. It looks as if new may be the way to go this time. This brings up the next obvious question. My motor is a 46-48 Flathead - What are some of the new heads available and what should I look for?
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This is an Alice in Wonderland question, which way you go depends are where you want to end up! There are heads geared more toward slightly modified to all out racing.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #9
39topless

Go here and speak with a "tech guy" about your applications etc.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...flathead.shtml
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
russcc

For my money, Barney Navarro always made the best of everything. I believe H&H is still using the original foundry Barney used to reproduce his heads.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Randy1944

Thanks guys for the information. I do not intend to race the truck in any way. I would like it to sound good and look good(my idea is mostly original to the time with a few period correct add ons). I would hope that it would look and sound good to other like minded individuals. I'll admit that I want something to be proud of and for it to look sharp. I am also looking for a few "weird" items. I would like to find a big brass mechanical oil gauge to mount under the hood and maybe a older or weird in line fuel filter and also a fan to hook to the steering column. Maybe an art deco heater down the road. I have my work cut out for me - not to mention looking for that extra money needed to do all of this. Thanks again Randy
Old 01-08-2016, 02:56 AM   #12
scooder

Navarro heads use stock length studs, offenhauser and edelbrock need the bottom two rows of studs swapping out, I think Navarro heads are the only heads available new that are like this.
Is stud pulling something you wanna get involved in.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #13
41LjH

In addition to what others have said unless you CC a set of used heads you will not know if they have been cut (milled).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwwB34vxJE
41LjH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #14
jimTN

Used heads are way overpriced. $200 is about what they are worth with maybe one or two plug holes per head in need of fixing. Look at the block side for erosion from the water holes past where the gasket goes. Usually there will be fins broken or cut off where the oil filter goes. Plug holes are easily fixed with thread insert kits. The scalpers are usually asking a new price for used heads.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Something to think about is that just putting these heads on isn't going to do much for overall performance . . . will help a bit, but not that much. Are you planning on rebuilding the engine, or just putting 'bolt-on' items on it?

Even if this is a stock displacement engine, you'll find that a good 3/4 style cam (Max1, L100, etc), headers, a two-deuce intake (like an Edelbrock Slingshot - great manifold), good exhaust system and a good ignition will really wake the thing up. It will sound good, run well and you'll be very pleased.

With this said - I'd consider at least 'freshening' up the engine if you're going to do the above . . . or maybe a rebuild if it needs it. IMHO, one might as well have a good valve job, good rings, good bearings, a new oil pump and new gaskets in it . . . then it will run for years.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
Chris

I have new navarros on my roadster and love them.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Doesn't JWLs book compare several different heads on mildly modified engines?
Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Randy1944

Chris, Those heads look amazing, Not to mention how nice the rest of the pictures show your car and all to be.
Thanks for the pictures.
Randy
Old 01-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #19
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1944 View Post
Chris, Those heads look amazing, Not to mention how nice the rest of the pictures show your car and all to be.
Thanks for the pictures.
Randy
Also, notice that he has the Edelbrock Slingshot manifold - a really great manifold for a two-deuce setup and you can still run a generator in the stock position.

My setup is similar (also running Navarro heads) - but I'm using an old Eddie Meyer manifold. The manifold on mine is heavily ported, but the engine is as well - not really necessary on a street type build.

2015-11-07 18.30.47 copy.jpg
Old 01-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Also, notice that he has the Edelbrock Slingshot manifold - a really great manifold for a two-deuce setup and you can still run a generator in the stock position.

My setup is similar (also running Navarro heads) - but I'm using an old Eddie Meyer manifold. The manifold on mine is heavily ported, but the engine is as well - not really necessary on a street type build.

Attachment 253424

That is a beautiful engine, judging by the fan, looks like it's going in a 32?

Yes I love original stuff, I was lucky to find that original slingshot on Craigslist of all places. I run new heads on all my cars though, I've never had good luck with old heads.

I have an original Eddie Meyer intake on my 33 pickup, with a set of new(er) Eddie Meyer heads

Last edited by Chris; 01-09-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote