Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
Bigmacmclaughlin

Default What Y-Block camshafts work well with automatic transmissions?

I need to decide on a camshaft for my Y-Block that will work well with a 56 air cooled Ford-O-Matic transmission. Acceleration is important, but reliability is more important. Your experience is highly valued to me, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

MY DRIVING PLANS FOR THE Y-BLOCK ENGINE:
I would like to drive the car on public roads and freeways and still have good acceleration without having idling or starting problems. I won’t be using the car on hot days (over 100 degrees) or cold days (below 40 degrees). I will tune the engine for an altitude range near sea level, but I would still like to drive up into mountain areas up to (4,000 feet).
Bigmacmclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: What Y-Block camshafts work well with automatic transmissions?

I'll talk about the altitude first. If an engine is in good condition, tune it a bit on the lean side for sea level. As the car goes up, less air preasue will also be in the carb, so less fuel will be forced out. I have had good luck with both Holley and Edelbrock doing from 900 feet, where I live, and driving I 80 to Bonneville, going over the hill at 8900 feet. Starting from cold at Cheyenne is always a problem. An overnight there usually is mid forties, the electric choke is way rich and the car needs time to warm up.
For cam recommendations, call Ted Eaton at Eaton Balancing in Texas.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
dmsfrr

If you have them, the original power brakes and vacuum operated windshield wipers depend on intake manifold vacuum for their operation. 19 to 20 inches of vacuum at idle is normal. (more is better, if possible)

Aftermarket camshafts will usually reduce manifold vacuum so chose carefully.
Especially if you drive mountains in rainy weather. ???

What carburetor and distributor are on the engine? The originals are '56 only, vacuum matched to each other and may figure into your question & answers.

The shifting pressures of a FordOMatic are mechanically controlled by the throttle linkage position.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 08-20-2021 at 10:49 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

My '55 Ford with 292 Y-block/Ford-O-Matic underwent serious engine remanufacturing in 1992. It was bored .060 over, milled heads and had a normal street performance camshaft installed. Crankshaft journals were ground and all new crank bearings. I re-used all the old valves and reinstalled after grinding and hand lapping into their seats. Added a couple of large washers under weak valve springs. I put the original '55, 2-bbl intake manifold on which had a Ford EBU (bugsprayer) style carb on it as it came from the factory.
I drove the car 60 miles/day, 5-days/wk at highway speeds from 1994 until 2016. The engine is still going strong. My area is between 400-600 ft. abv sea level and the intake manifold vacuum is a steady 19.
The guy that did the engine block machine work was meticulous beyond compare. You couldn't get him to overlook .0001 inch if you paid him to look the other way, so I'm sure he ordered the highest quality parts he could get.
The camshaft was #229-1210 with #FM-1223M cam bearing set, but I don't know what brand. If you can find a camshaft part# conversion chart on the internet, that might help.
I'd be more worried about the oil you are using than the camshaft itself. I use either Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 for gasoline and diesel engines pretty much year round, and we have climate extremes here, (extremely cold in winter and extremely hot in summer).
now it is 2021 and the old Y-block is still going as strong as it was in 1994.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
paul2748

Talk to John Mummert abut the cam. He is experienced and can offer recommendations. You can get it from him. John is a YBlock guy.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:28 PM   #6
Bigmacmclaughlin

THANK YOU ALL, for your input information.

The options we will have, based on your personal and practical driving experiences, are so important to this discussion.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:17 PM   #7
miker98038

I’ve had 3 cams from John Mummert in 3 different engines. For a baseline take a look at this link on his website. I’ve found these comments to be a little conservative, but I’ve run a lot or more radical cams in engines over the years. But worth a look as a starting point. Half way down to the cam chart.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/valvetrain.htm

John is very straightforward. You provide the right info, you’ll get a great answer. Likewise with Ted Eaton.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #8
55blacktie

Keep in mind that there are no aftermarket torque converters available for the Fordomatic. A cam/w a lot of duration will require a torque converter/w higher stall speed. I have heard of cutting open the OEM converter and tweaking it to raise the stall speed, but those with the know-how are not likely working at your neighborhood AAMCO.

Considering the amount of work involved in replacing a Y-block cam, you will want to get it right the first time. Any cam recommendation will be based on displacement, compression, intake, exhaust, gear ratio, tire diameter, etc. Definitely not one-size-fits-all.

I recommend posting your question on y-blocksforever.com. If you are not already registered, email Ted Eaton of eatonbalancing.com. He will tell you how to register, but it's easier said than done.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:53 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Question Re: What Y-Block camshafts work well with automatic transmissions?

There is more to a cam change than just buying a kit and throwing it in there -

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/201...amshaft-build/

1) What year/model 312 do you have? You have to ID the valve-train and it's condition.

2) Is the engine in good condition (oil pressure - compression - leak-down)?

3) Type of fuel delivery and IGN. If it has a LOAD-O-MATIC SYSTEM still on it (1956), it ain't gonna run.

4) Does the car have a brake booster? Exact type of trans (ID). Rear gear ratio? Tire size?

5) What exactly are you expecting from the upgrade?

6) TED EATON and JOHN MUMMERT are the experts on a FYB, period, ain't no doubt in my military mind. But they have to know what you have and what you expect.

7) ISKY will be the cam provider.

To build a nice driver, you have to hawk it out thoroughly or you may be disappointed and out of a lot of money.

oh! ... forgot (as usual) ...

The F/M torque convertor is in all sense a high stall convertor as it continuously allows a 2nd gear start. You will not have enough camshaft events to require anything special on the street even it was available.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
Gene F

Bigmac..., can I just say it's nice to have options. Where I am going is if you read these comments, which all seem good it makes me think. Makes me think what you have may already be pretty good, unless you wanna pull the car up in front of your buddies, let it sit there on an idel and hear it "lope".

If you want that unmistakable Y-block sound....what I did was change the exhaust. I put on all new pipes. The heavy ones. Ordered stainless Magna-Flows. Idle you would not know what to listen for unless you were told the mufflers were changed. But step on that throttle and the Y-block sound is unmistakable. Pull down on the shifter so I get that sub-low gear, and up...oh my gosh! I took my Dad for a ride, and he said "oh my gosh, you get this thing really runnin' good".

I understand about decisions, and spending time and money. It's important to have a plan. However, you may have something desirable and not even know how to expose it. Happened to me. Besides, your gonna have your car torn down for a while.

Something to think about.

Last edited by Gene F; 08-21-2021 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:21 AM   #11
55blacktie

If you look at camshafts on John Mummert's site (ford-y-block.com), you will find that he does recommend a high-stall converter for any cam with 228-degrees duration/more at .050 lift. His Cams were made by Clay Smith, possibly still are. Depending on what you have planned, his 57+ cam might be a good choice.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Bigmacmclaughlin

I would like to Thank Everyone Again for all the helpful advise and especially your willingness to share your mechanical knowledge with other people.

Your shared experiences clarify the historical reasons for the subject matter. Thank You!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
55blacktie

Regarding camshafts and Fordomatic torque-converter stall speed: forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic2818.aspx
Old 08-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Question Re: What Y-Block camshafts work well with automatic transmissions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post

If you look at camshafts on John Mummert's site (ford-y-block.com), you will find that he does recommend a high-stall converter for any cam with 228-degrees duration/more at .050 lift. His Cams were made by Clay Smith, possibly still are. Depending on what you have planned, his 57+ cam might be a good choice.
Quote:

Y-280-I-07 Headers recommended. Manual or stall converter.

Y-280-I-11 .500 Lift with stock 1.54:1 rockers Ford-o-matic not recommended. 14" manifold vacuum @ 700 RPM idle.

Y-284S Manual or hi stall. Ford-o-matic not recommended. Cruise Night Special

Y-280-I-11 .500 Lift with stock 1.54:1 rockers Ford-o-matic not recommended. 14" manifold vacuum @ 700 RPM idle.
- JOHN MUMMERT

I think what he is saying that with such a cam, it is considered one is using an FMX or C4 AT on the street. The F/M would not hold up to it and there is no high-stall convertor for a F/M. One would have to use a much later FMX convertor with extensive modifications to retain the F/M.

Not feasible or cost effective (IMO)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #15
5851a

57 seems about the best combination of valve train rocker/camshaft with automatic. Rear gears around 3.56 or 3.78's are a big help if acceleration and climbing are a concern. Rpm will drive you crazy on long hauls though. It's something you have to get used to.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #16
Gene F

My 57 is a Skyliner with skirts and a continental kit, so it is a heavy car. Has the optional 3:56 gear too. Yes, it does crank goin' down the freeway. ~3,000 RPM / 65MPH Until you get used to it, you think you are running the thing to death. LOL
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #17
55blacktie

I didn't like the OEM 3.31 dana 44 ratio behind a Fordomatic on the highway in my 55 Tbird. Ditto for 3.50 gears/w C4 in a 65 Mustang. If you regularly drive at highway speeds, I recommend a numerically lower gear ratio or overdrive.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:07 PM   #18
Pete

It sounds like an EDB might be good for that application. That was the 57 312 245 hp
T Bird cam.
One thing to note on that cam though is, there was a factory bulletin came at the same time the engine was released for production that they expected in excess of 2% of the cams to fail within 200 miles. They pretty well did too.
That grind works very well on a steel billet.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #19
cars2cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It sounds like an EDB might be good for that application. That was the 57 312 245 hp
T Bird cam.
One thing to note on that cam though is, there was a factory bulletin came at the same time the engine was released for production that they expected in excess of 2% of the cams to fail within 200 miles. They pretty well did too.
That grind works very well on a steel billet.
What is a EDB cam? Any after market cam grinders replicate it?
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:41 PM   #20
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars2cool View Post
What is a EDB cam? Any after market cam grinders replicate it?
EDB is the Ford number. I can regrind one but don't do steel billets any more.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote